Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Physical Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Drag a 2,000 sf chute up a 53+' mast by hand when everyone else in your class are using gorillas on pedistals. You'll need to be able to do more than 3 pull ups. Even after 4+ days of racing.

i do not have to kiss the arse of testosterone nor do i have to muscle up sails that are way too much for me to handle--i am smart--i have no test0sterone buildup or requirement to have bigger and better without ability to handle...i have a nice slow ketch and i enjoy being able to manage it without having to die every time there is a lil wind....
i use no spinnaker, and i use no oversized anything.
my mast height is 48 ft from step, on keel. my mizzen is nice and andle-able...what do i need this bs for--i am a happy full time cruiser.
i do not race ...

my idea of extreme sailing is full mizzen and full jib in 50 kts winds....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think V02 Max is the gold standard for evaluating physical fitness currently. Resting heart rate and post exercise heart rate drop are also good. Of the Marine tests I can see the timed running test, but counting pull ups and crunches seem kind of silly.
Max oxygen consumption is the measure used to describe aerobic capacity. However, as said by others, aerobic capacity isn't the only component of fitness that is important to sailors. I think sailors need to lead a healthy lifestyle (food, exercise, etc.), just as anyone does. Sailors may have some activities that are more demanding than landlubbers, making additional attention to other aspects of fitness useful. The test for marines might not be too bad to get an idea of where your fitness is.
Old 03-01-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

I get a kick out of Zeehag's take-no-prisoner comments... In any event, she's right when pointing out that the daily routine (if you can call it that) of just handling the boat and... living without a car on land, hauling things, doing things, just moving around will go a long way in keeping you in decent shape. Also, do NOT install a TV on your boat for any reason, and keep any Internet, if you must have it, down to essentials. None of us need or want to run marathons or win Olympic medals, just be happy with all limbs functioning properly. Rely as little as possible on mechanized assistance such as dinghy engines. Crank the winches when tacking - your biceps will thank you.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I weld cut and grind and hump around pipe all day every day and it does jack for your fitness in any other active
manner

On the other hand i find i I AM WORTH the hour a day i give to myself in the gym

All my other stuff as you can see are things we do as a FAMILY ,I can find for example other pictures of the whole family at various events between 2 and there 80s

And people wonder why everybody's fat these days even 4 year olds

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-01-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

As a New Yorker where hardly anyone has a car, I can say that walking and biking everywhere does help, but it's not the end all be all. There are significantly less obese people in NY but you can still get fat assuming that is enough! You have to exercise for your heart!

I'm 29. We've just recently moved aboard our boat and I've been getting creative with my exercise routines as I no longer have access to my beloved gym or spin class. We're still on the hard so take my input with a grain of salt. I go for runs with my dogs (mostly to wear them out) and do pilates. Also, fun fact, a gallon of fresh water weighs 8.34lbs and salt water weighs more. I've been screen shotting exercises from my digital edition Self for over a year so I have plenty of moves ready to go. Once we're cruising I plan to swim as much as possible, run when I can and hike/climb/whatever depending on where we go.

Kelley
sailingchance.com
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 03-01-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

The main thing is to not be overweight. Makes it much easier to move around the boat efficiently and quickly. I'm 6'3" and when I touch 230lbs, life sucks and the body has aches and pains.

When I'm under 215, life is good. 205 right now, with 1/2 hour of hard of cardio daily, some sit ups and a couple of light weights.

Worth it.
davidpm, downeast450 and utchuckd like this.
Old 03-01-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I could pass it using any 2 events, and I consider myself out-of-shape. 25 years ago it would have been even easier.

Let's see....

* Get up out of the chair at work. Get out in the field.
* Kayak when sailing. Don't use the dingy so much.
* Bicycle or run or hike steep ground. Something for everyone.
* Sail the boat vigorously. That doesn't imply you're in a rush.
* Run up stairs.
* Enjoy some other sports. I used to rock climb a lot and though 35 pull-ups was pretty normal. Bike racing too.
* Rake the leaves, mow the grass, and enjoy the time outside... Don't hire work done that would actually be good for you. Stupid.

Just do SOMETHING.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-01-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Another good thread, David.

I remember taking that test at age 18. 19 pullups, 110 crunches, 18:20 on the run. Needed that last 1/4 of a pullup to hit 20.

Now? Well let's just say that sailing the boat or working on the boat, either gives me a lot of exercise -- I lose weight, gain strength and am overall more happy after either one. And I'm not bored while doing it.

Regards,
Brad
davidpm likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 03-02-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I'm not too happy with my current level of fitness but that's another story.

18 months ago I was running 3 - 4 miles per day and thought I was in fair shape, then, someone loaned me a P90X DVD. Holy crap!
Old 03-02-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

For cruisers I think a lot of it depends on how you cruise too, what you eat, etc. Some cruisers like to eat at restaurants a lot, some have a lot of store bought foods, others don't have refrigeration and eat what they catch, it just depends on the cruiser.
downeast450 likes this.

Please support my