Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Chesapeake charter early August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I doubt theyd let you take a boat out of the Cheapeake. When we travel we have to get special insurance rider for leaving the Chessie.
A rider on your own boat to leave the bay? On my prior boat, my BoatUS policy stated "U.S. and Canada coastal and inland waters." When I insured my current (larger) boat with BoatUS, the policy initially came back saying "Chesapeake Bay". So, I called BoatUS and asked why the difference. They said, "Oh, do you want 'U.S. and Canada coastal and inland waters?" I said yes and they just reissued the policy and said there was NO change in the premium. I haven't left the bay yet and don't know if I will any time soon in my current boat, but it's nice to know I have the option

I agree that a charter would likely be entirely different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

If I was chartering in the Chessapeake in early August, it would be a stinkpot with a big ass AC and a great swim platform. When I sailed there I was very stupid and tried to sail in the mornings ostensibly to beat the heat, but without wind it was just awful, to the point my wife started going to church again, just to avoid sailing.
Ye Gads, how awful was that?
Old 03-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
A rider on your own boat to leave the bay? On my prior boat, my BoatUS policy stated "U.S. and Canada coastal and inland waters." When I insured my current (larger) boat with BoatUS, the policy initially came back saying "Chesapeake Bay". So, I called BoatUS and asked why the difference. They said, "Oh, do you want 'U.S. and Canada coastal and inland waters?" I said yes and they just reissued the policy and said there was NO change in the premium. I haven't left the bay yet and don't know if I will any time soon in my current boat, but it's nice to know I have the option

I agree that a charter would likely be entirely different.
I just called BoatUS insurance to check up on this and my policy would increase about 20% for the increased area coverage you mentioned. When I spoke with them they said that only costs the same if the boat insured is trailered and is a lot smaller than 30 ft.

Could you should check again on yours. I dont want to pay anymore than I have to and I dont want them to misinform me either.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-01-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend chartering a boat with A/C and planning to dock! Better yet, charter a boat out of Newport.
Old 03-01-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

If I had my druthers, I'd charter in the Pacific Northwest that time of year. Crytsal clear skies, warm days, cool evenings...

The Chesapeake is hit or miss in early August. Despite the claims, I've found plenty of wind in August. It's just not dependable. Gov Cup (1st weekend of Aug) has been an upwind slog for the past two years in 15-25 knot south winds. Three years ago, we enough wind to finish the race. For the past three years, Pirate's Weekend (2nd weekend in Aug at Rock Hall) has seen at least one serious low move thru the area. We've had very boisterous conditions either going or returning on at least one day (Fri- Mon) around that weekend.

You can expect wind, but you can't count on it. What you can count on is hot. Except for the passing front/low/storm, you can figure on high 80s to low 100s and plenty of humidity.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-01-2013

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road

Maine is nice in that time of year. Much of Casco Bay or Penobscot Bay are sheltered from ocean swells if that is a concern.
Old 03-01-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just called BoatUS insurance to check up on this and my policy would increase about 20% for the increased area coverage you mentioned. When I spoke with them they said that only costs the same if the boat insured is trailered and is a lot smaller than 30 ft.

Could you should check again on yours. I dont want to pay anymore than I have to and I dont want them to misinform me either.

Dave
I took out my policy in September 2012, so maybe they've changed since then. All I know is that the intial policy they sent me said Chesapeake Bay. After I called, they sent me a revised policy that clearly says "U.S. and Canada coastal and inland." The premiums stayed exactly the same. I know that for sure since I had already paid them and I did not have to pay any more. But, maybe this has all changed or I just got lucky.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-01-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I'll second Chef's suggestion of Southern California. It will be hot there, too, but probably not as stifling as the Philly/DC area. If you've never been, sailing in the Pacific is amazing, and very different than the Atlantic (or the Delaware!). A ride out to Catalina Island would be a great vacation. There are a few Catalina owners (the treasurer of the C25 site, for one) who live in that area and who can probably give you some good guidance.

As for the Delaware, if we buy the boat we're looking at, I'll (hopefully) be moving her through Delaware Bay in a few weeks. If you'd like to come along for that part of the trip, you are welcome. It will be cold, and probably a little wet, and the boat is a little heavier (11,000 lbs), but at least you'll get a feel for what the bay is like.
If west coast airfare won't blow the budget how about the San Juan's? The photo's I see from out there always inspire me to want to someday sail there.
Old 03-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I haven't been there, so I can't speak to the San Juans. You might want to ask that as a separate question, because the California SN crew may not read this thread.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Dave
FYI, my BoatUS policy also says "US and Canada Coastal and Inland Waters" It's a brand new renewal effective this month. It has had the same wording the past 2 years.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)