Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Chesapeake charter early August?

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Unfortunately flying out to the west coast might blow the budget. Actually my son will be flying out here from Seattle, so part of the idea was to charter while he is here. I will keep your west coast suggestions in mind for sometime when we might travel out there. There is a slight possibility that our son will not decide to fly east in August, and we might want to look into west coast option soon.

Based on your suggestions, I will not sail in the bay the second week of August. I might take my own boat down to Cape May that week, or consider Newport or other points north. (JimGo - I'll check my calendar and think about whether to join you for the leg from the canal to Cape May.)

I had not realized where Deltaville was. I had thought that it was down near Norfolk. I just realized today that it's at the mouth of the Rappahannock. That's a great location for us, because charters do not allow dogs, and we need to drop our dog off in Virginia with my father. So chartering from Deltaville makes that dropoff pretty easy. (Our dog will already be with my father the last week of July, which is one of the reasons I proposed chartering out of Rock Hall the following week.) I spoke to Norton Yachts in Deltaville today. Any other charter companies you'd suggest?

My younger son's summer job just fell through, so there may be more flexibility around when we can charter this summer. His last day of school is June 14, and we could head out right after that. There are a few possibilities:

1) Take our own boat down into the bay. I plan to sail to MYC for Dave's picnic on June 8, so one possibility might be to find somewhere to leave the boat for a week, and resume sailing on the Bay on June 15. (Dave - Does MYC accommodate this for CBYCA affiliates? What would the rate be?)

2) Charter out of Deltaville the week of June 15, leaving the dog with my father as described above.

3) If my daughter is home for the summer, leave the dog with her and charter out of Rock Hall starting June 15.

So we may have a lot of options available to us. Hopefully we can make some or all of these things happen this summer.

Since it looks like I might have the boat sitting in salt water for a couple weeks this summer, I'll probably go with Ultima paint this season instead of Pettit Vivid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-02-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into possibly renting a trailer and moving the boat someplace farther away? Just a thought.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Call Carole Susar 410-255-4444 at MYC for rate info for you. The CBCYA clubs are $1 a foot there are
6 clubs which are $25 flat.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, my BoatUS policy also says "US and Canada Coastal and Inland Waters" It's a brand new renewal effective this month. It has had the same wording the past 2 years.
Not suprising. You are not in the Chesapeake region. You keep your boat on the Delaware

I hope others from the Chessie reply so I can compare to what they told me. I will be pisssed if there are two different songs from BoatUS

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Not suprising. You are not in the Chesapeake region. You keep your boat on the Delaware

I hope others from the Chessie reply so I can compare to what they told me. I will be pisssed if there are two different songs from BoatUS

Dave
Good point. I remember when I bought the policy I told them "it can't just say Chesapeake because I don't keep my boat there."

On the other hand, I might be paying a higher rate for my coverage because I didn't have the option of lower-cost Chesapeake-only coverage.
chef2sail likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I would take your own boat down the Bay - it's a great experience. In fact, you could do a Delmarva circumnavigation if you hustle.
Old 03-02-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna go against the grain since I had similar concerns as all have expressed for August, but if you make your trip for more than a couple days you're sure to encounter a mix just as we did. First off, Norton's boats are just plain fantastic. I've done a week out of the Rappahannock area several times just usually not in Aug. Here's some Aug 6-12 last year pic's I hope help you see what's to offer.

Starting from Deltaville north on the west side, then south on the east...

Hunkered down in Tangier..

Jiminri likes this.
Old 03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dawg View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain since I had similar concerns as all have expressed for August, but if you make your trip for more than a couple days you're sure to encounter a mix just as we did. First off, Norton's boats are just plain fantastic. I've done a week out of the Rappahannock area several times just usually not in Aug. Here's some Aug 6-12 last year pic's I hope help you see what's to offer.

Starting from Deltaville north on the west side, then south on the east...

Hunkered down in Tangier..

Great pics looks like you had a good time. What were the temps like? How often did you anchor? stay in a lip? Were you able to have AC in the slip?

I would love to go down to Tangier, but we are saving till a fall trip sometime.
Hey if you handle heat well, the Chessie is the place to be and go...obviously that why I live here and sail it too. Its just we who sail it know what those dog days of summer can be like. You always have an Ocean breeze in Cape May and also in the LI Sound and north the water is cooler. Just saying. If you can handle the heat...go for it or have AC and are taking slips.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-02-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

We anchored twice, but the crew really liked "civilization" and AC at the marina especially for sleeping. The water was beautiful so now and then took a dip. I think I had the dog days in back of my mind but it was those occasional showers and threats of showers that gave us a variety of conditions clouds/breeze. A brief passing storm in Reedville, a passing storm entering Solomon's, and a two day blow at 21 knots on the last leg of our trip actually made it a great time. For our 39 footer we spent 14 gallons of fuel for the week, so we did some when necessary to keep to our destination when needed.
I found this site helpful in considering time of year...
Real time wind & weather report map United States - Windfinder
Old 03-02-2013

Looks like a great time...Three woman...one guy. I (assume your daughter and wife)
I have loved the southern Chessie when we have cruised it and enjoyed reading T37chefs odessey when he was down there for vacation.

So what is with the dungenous or king crabs in MD. The native MDers would have comment by now I though

Looks like a great trip
. Would like to hear more of where you went, anchored. etc/ I mean I can see Tangier/ Solomon

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-