If it's blowin' I'm goin'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Re: Chesapeake charter early August?
Thanks for all the input, guys.
Unfortunately flying out to the west coast might blow the budget. Actually my son will be flying out here from Seattle, so part of the idea was to charter while he is here. I will keep your west coast suggestions in mind for sometime when we might travel out there. There is a slight possibility that our son will not decide to fly east in August, and we might want to look into west coast option soon.
Based on your suggestions, I will not sail in the bay the second week of August. I might take my own boat down to Cape May that week, or consider Newport or other points north. (JimGo - I'll check my calendar and think about whether to join you for the leg from the canal to Cape May.)
I had not realized where Deltaville was. I had thought that it was down near Norfolk. I just realized today that it's at the mouth of the Rappahannock. That's a great location for us, because charters do not allow dogs, and we need to drop our dog off in Virginia with my father. So chartering from Deltaville makes that dropoff pretty easy. (Our dog will already be with my father the last week of July, which is one of the reasons I proposed chartering out of Rock Hall the following week.) I spoke to Norton Yachts in Deltaville today. Any other charter companies you'd suggest?
My younger son's summer job just fell through, so there may be more flexibility around when we can charter this summer. His last day of school is June 14, and we could head out right after that. There are a few possibilities:
1) Take our own boat down into the bay. I plan to sail to MYC for Dave's picnic on June 8, so one possibility might be to find somewhere to leave the boat for a week, and resume sailing on the Bay on June 15. (Dave - Does MYC accommodate this for CBYCA affiliates? What would the rate be?)
2) Charter out of Deltaville the week of June 15, leaving the dog with my father as described above.
3) If my daughter is home for the summer, leave the dog with her and charter out of Rock Hall starting June 15.
So we may have a lot of options available to us. Hopefully we can make some or all of these things happen this summer.
Since it looks like I might have the boat sitting in salt water for a couple weeks this summer, I'll probably go with Ultima paint this season instead of Pettit Vivid.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Last edited by TakeFive; 03-02-2013 at 01:36 AM.