Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Chesapeake charter early August?

Each year when we plan out our vacations we have to maneuver around a lot of constraints - kids' schedules, our schedules, my father's availability to dog-sit, etc. We don't have much flexibility to change dates.

This summer we have the week of August 4-10 available for a potential charter (or maybe to bring our own boat through the canal into the Bay). I've heard that the Chesapeake "dies" in July and August (though personally I have not witnessed this happening up on the Delaware River). So the question is, given the restriction that we have to go the week of August 4-10, is it worth it?

Do you guys sail your own boats in the bay early-mid August? In general, is there any time of the day that a breeze picks up that time of year, or do you have to motor everywhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Chesapeake charter early August?

Its just plain F..ing hot, There is usally wind in the afternoon albet light. Mid July to mid August seem to be the worst times. Anchoring up the creeks in the best protected spots will be stiffling. We look for open spots more then like Still Pond, Worton Creek , Greys Inn, Shaw Bay but up the rivers it can be quite still. Lots of these weekends we go day sailing in the heat, come back to the dock and turn the AC on. Seems the heat is affecting me more as I am older.

Now you know why we go on vacation and go to the LI Sound then.

Go to Cape May and Atlantic City. With the right timing you can make it down in one day....back wont be a problem in your boat. Stay at Utsches or anchor off the CG station. AC is a 35 miles day sail up the coast. Or just day sail every day and go over to Lewes.

It will be cooler with an ocean breeze and there will be wind at 1:00 every day
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-01-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Each year when we plan out our vacations we have to maneuver around a lot of constraints - kids' schedules, our schedules, my father's availability to dog-sit, etc. We don't have much flexibility to change dates.

This summer we have the week of August 4-10 available for a potential charter (or maybe to bring our own boat through the canal into the Bay). I've heard that the Chesapeake "dies" in July and August (though personally I have not witnessed this happening up on the Delaware River). So the question is, given the restriction that we have to go the week of August 4-10, is it worth it?

Do you guys sail your own boats in the bay early-mid August? In general, is there any time of the day that a breeze picks up that time of year, or do you have to motor everywhere?
Well this pretty much guarantee's 20 knots out of the south (at least overnight) a couple of days before you'd get here:

"The 40th running of the SMCM Governor's Cup Yacht Race will be August 2nd & 3rd, 2013. We need good feedback from all of you about how to make the 40th a special event!"

Honestly though, August is a tough time on the bay for sailing. As for time of day the wind typically goes flat very early in the AM and will likely stay that way until you start to get convective build ups in the late afternoon.

The past several years for the Gov Cup we've had plenty of wind however its all been from exactly the direction we needed to go.
Old 03-01-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice. Please keep it coming.

One possibility that I did not mention is to charter somewhere else. We grew up in MD, so would love to charter there again. But for August, maybe New England is better. Any suggestions of locations and charter companies in New England? We know nothing about the area, except that we've visited Hingham before and have some sailing friends there.

Another possibility might be to charter out of Rock Hall as we did last June, and take the boat through the canal to Cape May (assuming Haven Charters allows this). All this talk of severe chop and greenheads has me a little nervous taking my little 4200 lb boat (maybe 4500 with added ballast in the bow) down there, so chartering a larger boat might make the trip better (at least as far as the chop goes).

Another consideration is how many we have with us. It could be as few as 3 total or as many as 5, depending on how many of our grown kids sign on. If it's more than 3, we would need to charter to accommodate everyone.

Any boat we charter would have air conditioning, so stifling evening heat could be dealt with by going to a marina. (We stayed at Worton one night last year because of the heat.) If we charter in the bay, we were thinking of heading down to Herrington Harbor (I remember it as Rose Haven Marina when I was a kid) and Solomons, and hoping to maybe even head around Point Lookout and up to Colonial Beach or somewhere on the Rappahannock. The goal would be to get close enough to my father's house to convince him to come on a daysail with us. But I haven't plotted out all the routes to see if we could make it that far and back in a week.

In the end it might be more trouble than it's worth, and we might just seek out the traditional north/mid Chesapeake anchorages, but stifling hot weather could interfere with this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-01-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

With some luck, you may encounter a cold front passage. Always good for a few windy days.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Thanks for the advice. Please keep it coming.

One possibility that I did not mention is to charter somewhere else. We grew up in MD, so would love to charter there again. But for August, maybe New England is better. Any suggestions of locations and charter companies in New England? We know nothing about the area, except that we've visited Hingham before and have some sailing friends there.

Another possibility might be to charter out of Rock Hall as we did last June, and take the boat through the canal to Cape May (assuming Haven Charters allows this). All this talk of severe chop and greenheads has me a little nervous taking my little 4200 lb boat (maybe 4500 with added ballast in the bow) down there, so chartering a larger boat might make the trip better (at least as far as the chop goes).

Another consideration is how many we have with us. It could be as few as 3 total or as many as 5, depending on how many of our grown kids sign on. If it's more than 3, we would need to charter to accommodate everyone.

Any boat we charter would have air conditioning, so stifling evening heat could be dealt with by going to a marina. (We stayed at Worton one night last year because of the heat.) If we charter in the bay, we were thinking of heading down to Herrington Harbor (I remember it as Rose Haven Marina when I was a kid) and Solomons, and hoping to maybe even head around Point Lookout and up to Colonial Beach or somewhere on the Rappahannock. The goal would be to get close enough to my father's house to convince him to come on a daysail with us. But I haven't plotted out all the routes to see if we could make it that far and back in a week.

In the end it might be more trouble than it's worth, and we might just seek out the traditional north/mid Chesapeake anchorages, but stifling hot weather could interfere with this.
You could make the Rappahannock destinations if you could charter from Herring Bay or there abouts. A fairly long day to Soloman's and reasonable day to Great Wicomico, Dividing Creek, Indian Creek, etc south of Smith Point, and then a reasonable day anywhere on the Rappahannock as far up as Urbanna. Likely there would be some days (maybe mostly) motoring though.
Old 03-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I doubt theyd let you take a boat out of the Cheapeake. When we travel we have to get special insurance rider for leaving the Chessie.

Urbanna/ Rappahonck is a long trip. You could make the 55 miles to Solomons in a day. Then to Deltaville the next, another 55 miles. Average speed 5 knots mean you will be motoring for 11 hours to insure you make it. No place between Herrington and Solomons to pull in. Thats like two long forced days... not real relaxing.

Your boat would be fine going down the Delaware, Colkin does it in a 20. We have seen many 25/ 27 making the transit. You have the advantage of talking the C&D Canal

Newport has charters. weve thought about doing that, but our boat can go up to I have friends who have done that. They had a blast went to the Vineyard/ Block Island etc. I will contact them or go in the destinations threads and as,

How about Long beach California, Donna and I chartered there to catalina Island. Nnow thats a cool place. Can take a ride on the Americas cup Boat in san diego too

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I promised myself I would never again charter a boat.
I'll take my own and go where it takes me.

Here on the bay, that means picking a destination in the morning based on wind speed and direction - and often re-picking or motoring if the wind changes.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I doubt theyd let you take a boat out of the Cheapeake. When we travel we have to get special insurance rider for leaving the Chessie.

Urbanna/ Rappahonck is a long trip. You could make the 55 miles to Solomons in a day. Then to Deltaville the next, another 55 miles. Average speed 5 knots mean you will be motoring for 11 hours to insure you make it. No place between Herrington and Solomons to pull in. Thats like two long forced days... not real relaxing.

Dave
Agree, its long day to Solomon's, but once south of the Potomac there are a multitude of great anchorages prior to Deltaville. As much as I like Deltaville, I would encourage skipping it for this mission and stopping somewhere between Smith Point and Windmill Point, then heading on up to either Carter Creek, the Corratoman or Urbanna the next day rather than a forced march from Solomons all the way to D'ville.

Alternately, they could look into chartering from Deltaville which would open up excursions to Onancock, Cape Charles, Mobjack Bay, York River, in addition to the Piankatank and Rappahannock.
chef2sail and Silvio like this.
Old 03-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'll second Chef's suggestion of Southern California. It will be hot there, too, but probably not as stifling as the Philly/DC area. If you've never been, sailing in the Pacific is amazing, and very different than the Atlantic (or the Delaware!). A ride out to Catalina Island would be a great vacation. There are a few Catalina owners (the treasurer of the C25 site, for one) who live in that area and who can probably give you some good guidance.

As for the Delaware, if we buy the boat we're looking at, I'll (hopefully) be moving her through Delaware Bay in a few weeks. If you'd like to come along for that part of the trip, you are welcome. It will be cold, and probably a little wet, and the boat is a little heavier (11,000 lbs), but at least you'll get a feel for what the bay is like.
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.