Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By CalebD
  • 2 Post By PaulinVictoria
  • 1 Post By ChuckA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road
Bought new boat, what to do

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip......oh wait a minute that's Caleb's theme. Anyway, in the never ending quest of always wanting a boat with a little more I stumbled across a Bayliner Buccaneer 210 in fantastic shape. I talked to her owner on Thursday, listed and sold my beloved CatManDo (Catalina 22) on Friday, looked at Bayliner (Blue Heron) on Saturday and bought her. Previous owner had replaced rigging, halyards, furler, depth finder and much more in last two years. My dilemma isn't the boat I bought, I'm an inland lake sailor (10,000 acre) in Indiana and PO has never experienced a knockdown on her, my problem is much bigger than that, what do I call myself on here now. Do I continue with this name, close this name and register new, do I go through a renaming ceremony as to not invoke bad luck or borrow a page from Prince and place a symbol such as € and become the Sailor Formerly Known as CatMan22? I know this doesn't compare to such important matters as whether or not they ought to allow legal liveaboards at the local waterpark or do I have the right of way while under sail and I encounter a paddle boat with trolling motor, but there it is. I do not want to tempt Poseidon or Neptune's fate and am wondering what measures I should take, of course I could just call myself Norma Rae and suffer from multiple personalities.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought new boat, what to do-nbay.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Bought new boat, what to do

keep the name I heard the boat likes it, and its a pain in the butt and its can be bad luck, all depends on how you look at it. Have fun and sail my friend.
Old 03-01-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road

CorvetteGuy seemed to be answering the wrong question. But honestly, with only 22 posts on here, if you do change your MEMBER name, it will probably be like a tree falling in the forest with nobody around... will anybody really hear it, or even care.

Actually, I had a real reason to change my name on here recently. I was posting as Capt-T... again, very few posts and no rep/cred... but my old profile was experiencing a problem where my posts weren't linked to my name even though it was keeping count. Long story short (or is that even longer)... admins couldn't fix it, so i gave up and re-registered. Can't send PM's for a while... but all the lurking I've done over the last year is still going on the same with lurking from a different name.

Lastly... no disrespect, but I think this thread belongs in the "off-topic" non sailing related forums. Sure, it's about your name which relates to a sailboat... but hardly about sailing.
Old 03-01-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

You rang?
So this is your new boat? BUCCANEER 210 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

As for your "handle" here on sailnut it is really up to you whether you want to change it, or not. There are not prescribed rituals to assuage Poseidon and Aeolus when you change your user name; boat names are another matter. If your current user name reflects your old boat name though you might want to change to a new name, as part of the boat name changing ritual you are supposed to expunge any references to the boat's old name. I'm just not sure that forum user names are included.

I think that the only thing that is not allowed is to have multiple user id's, aka sock puppets.
chef2sail and CatMan22 like this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think that the only thing that is not allowed is to have multiple user id's, aka sock puppets.
You aren't? Damn, better cancel my SmackDaddy account then.

Old 03-02-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

not sure about here but many sites do not like it if you change your name. besides people may get confused in who you are. Low post count so that may not matter as much.
my name here is from a power boat I had when I registered. besides later on the name may bring back fond memories of the boat you had. I would say leave it.
don't park it in a floating trailer park though. LOL
Old 03-02-2013

ChuckA is on a distinguished road

Congratulations & best wishes on your new boat. I say, "Damn the superstition, full speed ahead!" I switched the former "Lady of the Wind" to "Heart of Gold" and never looked back. I don't believe in mythological gods like Poseidon or Neptune, so I don't make any attempt to "appease them" with rituals. I believe in the one true God, who has more important things to do than being concerned about boat names. My advice on your user name is not to connect it to your boat name, because boats come and boats go. Settle an enduring username and stick with it.
Thinking of spring here in RI.
sealover likes this.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE