Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
David--

Our primary GPIRB is an ACR Global Fix mounted in our emergency stores locker. (We also carry personal PLB's but they do not include the GPS capability and only have a 24 hour transmit capacity.) What I'm looking at is a second GPIRB for our ditch bag, as a back-up to our first. I'm not too concerned about loosing track of the ditch bag were it ever needed as it sits on top of our liferaft and has a tether that is connected to the 50' rip-cord on the life-raft which is, itself, attached to a fastening in the life-raft locker. If needed both go over the side at the same time. I don't want to have to remember to stick the GPIRB or anything else in the ditch bag if we have to get out in a hurry (tho' we likely would). I prefer that the ditch bag have everything we are likely to need to begin with, just in case. As a practical matter, our cruising never takes us much more than 100 miles or so into the deep. Never-the-less, the threats of UFO's in the night that might hole the ship or an uncontrollable fire, either of which might call for a quit exit, are quite real, even near shore, so one should be prepared IMHO and we try to be.

FWIW...
Gotcha, Oour cruising is similar. I do occasional crew for deliveries which does take me further though. I do have a PLB which does have GPS and life in the water of 30+ hours. Was not that expensive

ACR Electronics ResQLink+ 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon - Free Shipping at REI.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Activation: Manual switch with test facility"

It is unclear whether this EPIRB has the old-fashioned and useless "test" switch, or it actually sends a test messagfe which confirms 100% operation of the transmitter by actually sending a message through the system.
So where do the test messages go? Does the EPIRB system have a protocol for test messages?

I am learning a bunch of stuff here, thanks!

Last edited by kellysails; 03-02-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2013

oldfurr is on a distinguished road

I just Googled this item, on AU. E-bay it is showing for AU.$322.50 to $337-- as a buy it now item. Looks like one heck of a safety bargain.

Last edited by oldfurr; 03-03-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
So where do the test messages go? Does the EPIRB system have a protocol for test messages?

I am learning a bunch of stuff here, thanks!
There are a couple elevels you can pay an annnual subscribtuion for. Basic test and Test with em ail including message and coordiates. ( and to five e mail accounts)

406link.com

Technology
kellysails likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-03-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
There are a couple levels you can pay an annual subscribtuion for. Basic test and Test with em ail including message and coordiates. ( and to five e mail accounts)

406link.com

Technology
David--

Thank you for this link. I was not aware there was such a service which I think is/will be very worth while.

Also, it is wise to check the date of one's batteries and one's Beacon Registrations to ensure all are up-to-date. I just did so and, to my chagrin, realized the registration of my PLB 100, used on our dinghy and 12' sailing dinghy was out of date (now corrected!).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

HyLyte-
If your mail is being delivered correctly, the beacon folks are very good about sending you new decals every year, need 'em or not. I expect they must be very diligent about purging outdated contacts, because they're spending a lot of money on "free" annual updates for something that just doesn't seem to demand being done annually otherwise.
Old 03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
David--

Thank you for this link. I was not aware there was such a service which I think is/will be very worth while.

Also, it is wise to check the date of one's batteries and one's Beacon Registrations to ensure all are up-to-date. I just did so and, to my chagrin, realized the registration of my PLB 100, used on our dinghy and 12' sailing dinghy was out of date (now corrected!).

FWIW...
Good you caught up

Funny I am anal about registration dates warrenty dates.

I have a "tickler" file on my computer which is basically a spreadsheet with warrenty registration dates of everything I have/ buy includes cars, boats Epirbs, Norton etc

I populate it when I buy something new with a renewable date. I try and look at the file every month to see whats comming as there is no wat I could ever remeber to keep this straight in my mind...especially as I age.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-03-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
HyLyte-
If your mail is being delivered correctly, the beacon folks are very good about sending you new decals every year, need 'em or not. I expect they must be very diligent about purging outdated contacts, because they're spending a lot of money on "free" annual updates for something that just doesn't seem to demand being done annually otherwise.
Gee. I must be on the Agency's shoot list. I cannot recall ever getting any kind of up-date via mail (although I do get notices from the CG about our documentation every year). Usually I renew all our registrations via the Agency's web-site every January as a matter of course but overlooked the registration of our PLB 100 this year.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-07-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I sent off a note to KTI regarding their distribution in the US (I should have asked about Canada, sorry). Here is their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our EPIRB products. We do not currently have a distributor in USA.

Our model SA1 and SA1G EPIRBs have been approved by COSPAS-SARSAT for use both in and out of water and meet all requirements for leisure craft in Australia and New Zealand. In addition to COSPAS-SARSAT approval, some countries require additional certifications before these products can be sold within their jurisdiction. These often incur significant costs. At this time we have not pursued certifications specific to USA.

However, we can sell and ship individual product direct from our factory in Australia, pre-programmed with USA country code. We can also encode your vessel MMSI into the beacon prior despatch.

Regards,
Mark Knowles,
General Manager.
Old 03-07-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I'd rely on an EPIRB not FCC approved with no US support.