Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd be curious to know exactly which battery chemistry is giving twice the shelf life, or if that's just a battery which is larger so there's still more life left in it.
Lithium, if it's good enough for the 787 then it's good enough for an EPIRB,, oh wait, ah....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

BTW, the admiral and I will never part with our spinlock non-USCG certified vests. They worked just fine in the Irish Sea, they're just as good in the Puget Sound. I keep a certified PFD nearby for admin purposes.
jackdale likes this.
Old 03-07-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

kelly, in this context "lithium" is about as specific as saying "wood" or "metal". There are all kinds of lithium cells.
Old 03-07-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
kelly, in this context "lithium" is about as specific as saying "wood" or "metal". There are all kinds of lithium cells.
I was a bit of a SA on that. All they say is that COSPAS/SARSAT has approved their battery for 10 year life, no details. i trust that COSPAS/SARSAT would not overstate a product. It would be interesting to know how KTI did that. Probably trade secret, SWAG.

"The Safety Alert SA1G EPIRB is extremely cost effective and low maintenance due to an engineering world first COSPAS/SARSAT approved 10 Year Battery. The SafetyAlert SA1G is designed to go the distance so you may have complete confidence on land or at sea."

Last edited by kellysails; 03-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Actually, what I liked about the Aussie gear was, aside from what appeared to be a very affordable initial price, even more so the 10 year battery life span. I've now had to replace batteries on our ACR GPIRB and PLB's twice since we bought them in 2002 and that's not an inexpensive proposition tho' certainly necessary.
As a follow-up/closing comment to this discussion, after contacting ACR regarding battery replacement, I discovered that our PLB 100 is now considered "obsolete" and they will not replace the battery. As an alternative, however, ACR did offer an exchange for a new "TerraFix" unit for less than the cost of a replacement battery for the PLB 100. The TerraFix is also a "discontinued" model but will be serviced for some years to come, certainly as long as the life of a replacement battery for our old unit so I could do worse.

On a positive note, I learned that the cost for the batteries for our GlobalFx has come down by about 25% since our last replacement so I'm ahead there although there is a good likelihood that this unit too will not be "rechargeable" after this cycle.

Considering the foregoing, and my experience with Garmin as to its Chart Plotter/GPS devices of late, it seems that the life-span of electronic devices is about 8-10 years and cost/benefit evaluations should be made with that in mind.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-26-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"it seems that the life-span of electronic devices is about 8-10 years"
Well, their life span is more like 100 years. The support from their makers may only be ten years.
Solid state electronics are remarkably long-lived, unless the maker has done something embarassing in the procurement and engineering departments.

Shoemakers have something similar to say, about boots where the soles have been glued on instead of stitched, making it impossible to replace worn soles and way more expensive to replace good boots. Like 10x more.

ACR's excuse on one of their EPIRB lines was that after time, the brass insets in the plastic case, which are how the screws held it together, were spalling out of the plastic. And somehow, they didn't mention that was an engineering defect in their product, they just blamed it on "age". They don't make mistakes. (ahem)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.