SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97175-affordable-gps-epirb-w-10-year-battery-life.html)

svHyLyte 03-02-2013 09:59 AM

Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Sail-World.com has an article on this GPS-EPIRB:

http://www.sail-world.com/photos_201...s%20EPIRB1.jpg

Quote:

An Australian company is now offering a fully COSPAS / SARSAT approved 406 GPS EPIRB for US$412.00 - quite a saving. The model number is Safety Alert SA1G, manufactured by Kinetic Technology, who make a range of location beacons and rescue transponders used by marine safety authorities and the military. They now offer a 406 GPS EPIRB with unique features that we think sailors will appreciate.

First and foremost, the battery has a claimed life of ten (yes 10) years, and the EPIRB has a ten year warranty. Secondly, the lithium battery is a special type and size that can be transported by air. Third, the unit has a 66 channel GPS receiver, accurate to 1.8 meters, though we're told the search and rescue authorities work to a minimum of 120 meters accuracy. It will also localise it's position in less than a minute. Finally, it works both IN or OUT of the water.
See SailWorld Cruising Article "Expose on EPIRBS - what Price Safety"

We're updating our Emergency Kit for an up coming cruise and, although we have an ACR GPIRB, I'm going to get one of the above as a back-up for our ditch bag.

FWIW...

PS: I have repeatedly tried to get the direct link, above, to work but SailNet does something with attaching cross links to the text in the address that screws the link up. Just click on Sail-World and look for the article.

tommays 03-02-2013 10:35 AM

Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

very nice and at a realistic price point for far more people

kellysails 03-02-2013 10:53 AM

Nice find! Thanks for sharing.

What do people think about Manual vs. Automatic activation models?
Is Automatic required for certain certifications?

kellysails 03-02-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks again svHyLyte for posting this EPIRB!

I read the article on it, very cool, some interesting notes in there. Interesting things about certain EPIRB technologies I did not know.

The link did not work, had to go to the printer friendly version of article, that works
sail-world.com -- Expose on EPIRBS - what price safety?

Here is also an updated pic, kinda funking looking EPIRB

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps567412be.jpg

chef2sail 03-02-2013 12:56 PM

The eprib in the original pitcure is a McMurdo smart find I think

We have a Acr Epirb with GPS and self test.

The one you are buying is a great price, battery life is a little longer as smart finds are now rated for 7 years in the brochures, warrenty better on the one you are getting. Does it have a self test feature?

I think I am heading in another direction and going to get PLB as my backup. I already have one and I like that its attachable to the harness and PFD. Our regular ACR Eprib will get pulled off the all and right into the Sleeve on the ditch bag should we need to abandon. BUt after reading how people can be seperated in the water I think I like the PLB as my backup.

Dave

kellysails 03-02-2013 01:43 PM

This description of the product says it does have self test
KTI Safety Alert SA1G

This is pretty cool.
Interesting that some EPIRB's will only work it in water
AND some ERRB's only transmit initial gps fix, some don't update position, wow!

hellosailor 03-02-2013 03:21 PM

"Activation: Manual switch with test facility"

It is unclear whether this EPIRB has the old-fashioned and useless "test" switch, or it actually sends a test messagfe which confirms 100% operation of the transmitter by actually sending a message through the system.

Some years ago ACR had a problem with the "test" switch and light indicating EPIRBs that worked--while the actual transmitter was defective and not transmitting. I wouldn't touch a new one unless it did actual live test messages.

chef2sail 03-02-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 997413)
"Activation: Manual switch with test facility"

It is unclear whether this EPIRB has the old-fashioned and useless "test" switch, or it actually sends a test messagfe which confirms 100% operation of the transmitter by actually sending a message through the system.

Some years ago ACR had a problem with the "test" switch and light indicating EPIRBs that worked--while the actual transmitter was defective and not transmitting. I wouldn't touch a new one unless it did actual live test messages.

On the old models I thought the test swich was to only confirm that the battery level was still ok and tha the internal circitry was working. Do you know which models are available which send out a test through the satellite system. One says it sends an I am ok message.

svHyLyte 03-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 997357)
The eprib in the original pitcure is a McMurdo smart find I think

We have a Acr Epirb with GPS and self test.

The one you are buying is a great price, battery life is a little longer as smart finds are now rated for 7 years in the brochures, warrenty better on the one you are getting. Does it have a self test feature?

I think I am heading in another direction and going to get PLB as my backup. I already have one and I like that its attachable to the harness and PFD. Our regular ACR Eprib will get pulled off the all and right into the Sleeve on the ditch bag should we need to abandon. BUt after reading how people can be seperated in the water I think I like the PLB as my backup.

Dave

David--

Our primary GPIRB is an ACR Global Fix mounted in our emergency stores locker. (We also carry personal PLB's but they do not include the GPS capability and only have a 24 hour transmit capacity.) What I'm looking at is a second GPIRB for our ditch bag, as a back-up to our first. I'm not too concerned about loosing track of the ditch bag were it ever needed as it sits on top of our liferaft and has a tether that is connected to the 50' rip-cord on the life-raft which is, itself, attached to a fastening in the life-raft locker. If needed both go over the side at the same time. I don't want to have to remember to stick the GPIRB or anything else in the ditch bag if we have to get out in a hurry (tho' we likely would). I prefer that the ditch bag have everything we are likely to need to begin with, just in case. As a practical matter, our cruising never takes us much more than 100 miles or so into the deep. Never-the-less, the threats of UFO's in the night that might hole the ship or an uncontrollable fire, either of which might call for a quit exit, are quite real, even near shore, so one should be prepared IMHO and we try to be.

FWIW...

hellosailor 03-02-2013 05:03 PM

David-
I don't keep track of models, but ACR and some others list those of their models that do, and any fees that may be required to subscribe to messaging/testing services. The test is, after all, basically the same as a SPOT transmission.

Some years ago the USCG had announced a plan where they would let civilians bring in EPIRBs in each district to perform a live checkout (in an rf safe "casket") but apparently, that plan got quashed.