Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

Sail-World.com has an article on this GPS-EPIRB:

Quote:
An Australian company is now offering a fully COSPAS / SARSAT approved 406 GPS EPIRB for US$412.00 - quite a saving. The model number is Safety Alert SA1G, manufactured by Kinetic Technology, who make a range of location beacons and rescue transponders used by marine safety authorities and the military. They now offer a 406 GPS EPIRB with unique features that we think sailors will appreciate.

First and foremost, the battery has a claimed life of ten (yes 10) years, and the EPIRB has a ten year warranty. Secondly, the lithium battery is a special type and size that can be transported by air. Third, the unit has a 66 channel GPS receiver, accurate to 1.8 meters, though we're told the search and rescue authorities work to a minimum of 120 meters accuracy. It will also localise it's position in less than a minute. Finally, it works both IN or OUT of the water.
See SailWorld Cruising Article "Expose on EPIRBS - what Price Safety"

We're updating our Emergency Kit for an up coming cruise and, although we have an ACR GPIRB, I'm going to get one of the above as a back-up for our ditch bag.

FWIW...

PS: I have repeatedly tried to get the direct link, above, to work but SailNet does something with attaching cross links to the text in the address that screws the link up. Just click on Sail-World and look for the article.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 03-02-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Effort to add Web Link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Affordable GPS-EPIRB w/10 Year Battery Life

very nice and at a realistic price point for far more people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Nice find! Thanks for sharing.

What do people think about Manual vs. Automatic activation models?
Is Automatic required for certain certifications?
Old 03-02-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Thanks again svHyLyte for posting this EPIRB!

I read the article on it, very cool, some interesting notes in there. Interesting things about certain EPIRB technologies I did not know.

The link did not work, had to go to the printer friendly version of article, that works
sail-world.com -- Expose on EPIRBS - what price safety?

Here is also an updated pic, kinda funking looking EPIRB

Last edited by kellysails; 03-02-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The eprib in the original pitcure is a McMurdo smart find I think

We have a Acr Epirb with GPS and self test.

The one you are buying is a great price, battery life is a little longer as smart finds are now rated for 7 years in the brochures, warrenty better on the one you are getting. Does it have a self test feature?

I think I am heading in another direction and going to get PLB as my backup. I already have one and I like that its attachable to the harness and PFD. Our regular ACR Eprib will get pulled off the all and right into the Sleeve on the ditch bag should we need to abandon. BUt after reading how people can be seperated in the water I think I like the PLB as my backup.

Dave
wdwright1967 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

This description of the product says it does have self test
KTI Safety Alert SA1G

This is pretty cool.
Interesting that some EPIRB's will only work it in water
AND some ERRB's only transmit initial gps fix, some don't update position, wow!
Old 03-02-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Activation: Manual switch with test facility"

It is unclear whether this EPIRB has the old-fashioned and useless "test" switch, or it actually sends a test messagfe which confirms 100% operation of the transmitter by actually sending a message through the system.

Some years ago ACR had a problem with the "test" switch and light indicating EPIRBs that worked--while the actual transmitter was defective and not transmitting. I wouldn't touch a new one unless it did actual live test messages.
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Activation: Manual switch with test facility"

It is unclear whether this EPIRB has the old-fashioned and useless "test" switch, or it actually sends a test messagfe which confirms 100% operation of the transmitter by actually sending a message through the system.

Some years ago ACR had a problem with the "test" switch and light indicating EPIRBs that worked--while the actual transmitter was defective and not transmitting. I wouldn't touch a new one unless it did actual live test messages.
On the old models I thought the test swich was to only confirm that the battery level was still ok and tha the internal circitry was working. Do you know which models are available which send out a test through the satellite system. One says it sends an I am ok message.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The eprib in the original pitcure is a McMurdo smart find I think

We have a Acr Epirb with GPS and self test.

The one you are buying is a great price, battery life is a little longer as smart finds are now rated for 7 years in the brochures, warrenty better on the one you are getting. Does it have a self test feature?

I think I am heading in another direction and going to get PLB as my backup. I already have one and I like that its attachable to the harness and PFD. Our regular ACR Eprib will get pulled off the all and right into the Sleeve on the ditch bag should we need to abandon. BUt after reading how people can be seperated in the water I think I like the PLB as my backup.

Dave
David--

Our primary GPIRB is an ACR Global Fix mounted in our emergency stores locker. (We also carry personal PLB's but they do not include the GPS capability and only have a 24 hour transmit capacity.) What I'm looking at is a second GPIRB for our ditch bag, as a back-up to our first. I'm not too concerned about loosing track of the ditch bag were it ever needed as it sits on top of our liferaft and has a tether that is connected to the 50' rip-cord on the life-raft which is, itself, attached to a fastening in the life-raft locker. If needed both go over the side at the same time. I don't want to have to remember to stick the GPIRB or anything else in the ditch bag if we have to get out in a hurry (tho' we likely would). I prefer that the ditch bag have everything we are likely to need to begin with, just in case. As a practical matter, our cruising never takes us much more than 100 miles or so into the deep. Never-the-less, the threats of UFO's in the night that might hole the ship or an uncontrollable fire, either of which might call for a quit exit, are quite real, even near shore, so one should be prepared IMHO and we try to be.

FWIW...
chef2sail likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-02-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

David-
I don't keep track of models, but ACR and some others list those of their models that do, and any fees that may be required to subscribe to messaging/testing services. The test is, after all, basically the same as a SPOT transmission.

Some years ago the USCG had announced a plan where they would let civilians bring in EPIRBs in each district to perform a live checkout (in an rf safe "casket") but apparently, that plan got quashed.