Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013

Twoventures is on a distinguished road
About the time it takes to fix engines

I need help to understand how to deal with the following situation. This relates to my experience as a client of a boatyard in the SF bay area.

I have a Chris Craft 36' built in 1962. I bought her 4 years ago and i have had problems with the two engines. From time to time they would not start or they would die unexpectedly.

So I asked a boatyard to fix it. The work order was signed in April 2012. We are in March 2013 and the boat is still not fixed, and obviously I cannot motor her.

Retrospectively it appears that the engines are good with no major problem. The exhaust manifold of one of them had to be cleaned and the exhaust tube replaced, and a few more minor repairs were done.

The problem, as I see it, is that every repair, minor or not, was separated by a two month delay. As an example the first work - replacing the 16 spark plugs - happened two months after the work order (it did not show anything, as I thought, because the previous spark plugs were new).

Another example: early December 2012, as one of the engine was still not starting, the diagnostic was that a part of the carburetor had to be replaced. Mid-December the boatyard received the part. Mid-February - 2 months later - it was still not installed (BTW: the various parts that needed to be replaced were pretty standard and did not require any complicated search).

I live less than two miles from this boatyard, so I have gone there more than 40 times during the 10 months to try to accelerate the repair. The answer is always the same: it is going to be done tomorrow. And obviously nothing happens.

The work order was pretty generic: "fix the engines". I agreed verbally to the different repairs done. Though it has been 10 months, I have not received yet any invoice (I suppose that since the carburetor part has not been installed, she is still considered under repair).

Since it is my first boat, I wonder whether it is normal practice for a boatyard and what I should do.

Thanks for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: About the time it takes to fix engines

You have a few solutions I can see:

Be more proactive. If the boatyard is busy and they can put you off as long as they need to they will. That way they can take care of their more demanding customers. So DEMAND better service.

If the above doesn't work, find another mechanic.

Learn to do the work yourself. Replacing spark plugs? My 11 year old can do that!

Of course if you bought a SAILBOAT you wouldn't need 16 spark plugs!
Hull#101
Old 03-03-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

And start preparing yourself now for the bill.

Dude, seriously? An open ended contract to "fix engines."

I'm surprised they haven't been overhauled yet.

I would recommend you be more specific with the yard, e.g diagnose starting/idle problem and estimate repair.

good luck
Old 03-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yard tards. We get it.

I've never in my entire 38 years on the water, ever found a yard that didn't manage to cause some sort of serious aggravation. Unreliable is the softest of them, try a few inches of diesel in your bilge or a gouge out of your brand new topside paint. You do have to stay on them.

A dirty little secret is there are probably boats in your marina that have paid Captains or boat managers. Those individuals are often responsible for several boats in the same marina and are there nearly full time. I've even seen them live aboard larger client's boats. They develop a relationship with the yard in addition to being under their nose every day, so their work often gets done first.
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-03-2013
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Check in to having her towed to another yard.
Old 03-03-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

I would say this is not expectable. If you have seatow or towboat have the boat moved to another yard. Would you leave your car in the shop this long with nothing being done? I am a marine professional and have worked for and with many yards over the years and I can tell you this is not normal. Ask around and find a good yard or even an independent mechanic to help you out. I hope they are not planning on charging you storage as well. I would ask to see the work order amount right away. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out soon

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
Old 03-03-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

There is so much wrong here I don't know where to start. I'll start w/ your engine problems.
1. Exhaust manifolds don't get cleaned. They get replaced every 7 years. Risers every 3. If one exhaust hose was bad, they all are bad. Replace them before the boat sinks.
2. Your fuel is now a year old. I hope it was stabilized.
3. Your engine problems are most likely fuel related. Bad gas, water in gas, fouled carbs.
4. An intermittent short at the distributor could also cause the problems.
If a yard has been working on your boat for a year and hasn't sent you a bill I'd be asking myself how do they pay their mechanic. Next I'd be looking for a new mechanic. This is rocket science.They should be able to diagnose and fix the problem inside a week.
Jim
Sea Dawg likes this.
Old 03-03-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

I've only had this happen twice. Staying the course will never resolve it. You need to ask for your work order and inform them you are bringing in another mechanic and then do that. The first response you'll get is "I'm sorry it's come to this, let us complete the task." You'll have served notice they're going to get a bum reputation. You'll have to be forceful in that moment and draw a line in the sand. If it's not completed on a certain date with the stated cost you have to fire them. Like stated above, you also need to task them with more than "fix it". Perhaps, "engine will not run/fire or stay running, please diagnose and present a recommendation". Even then, I believe you'd be serviced better by another mechanic.
Old 03-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

that last bit.. "bringing in a new mechanic" should scare them. Not only does it mean a loss of revenue for them.. but once the new mechanic hears the story, you KNOW he is going to spread it all over the area.

nobody wants bad publicity..

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The threat of posting your experience and the name of the yard on the internet really gets businesses attention. They will also have the right to defend themselves and tell their side of the story. If there isn't more to it, they may jump to making it right. At the least, this technique could help keep a one year yard bill from being outrageous for incomplete work.

I settled a dispute this way, when a yard charged me fully 3X what a very standard job should have cost and held me hostage in the slings and wouldn't launch me without being paid. I needed to make a delivery and they knew it. The next day, I contacted the President and told him I would share my story on the internet and post a copy of the bill, which made it very clear what work was done and how many hours they billed. Not to mention, it was double the high end of the estimate I received, also in writing, also to be posted. He wrote me a check for the difference on the condition that I not post it. I've honored that commitment, but I don't hesitate to tell people to avoid the place, rather than post the actual experience.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
boatyard , delay , engine , repair

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.