SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   new sails (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97244-new-sails.html)

blakeyoung 03-04-2013 01:16 PM

new sails

Well, I had already been thinking about buying a new main, and after taking the boat out in some pretty breezy winds the other day, I think my 30+ year old sail had had enough and wound up ripping from leech to luff.

(I appreciate the expertise everyone here, but I just want to mention from the outset that I am not going to repair this sail and I am not going to buy a used sail. I am strictly in the market for a brand new main.)

I unfortunately do not live close to a loft that can come out and do measurements on my boat, but my rig is stock (25' mast) and all of the sails that I have found online are the exact same measurement, so I'm not too worried about buying something that will not fit. It's a Catalina 22 - shouldn't be too complicated. I find sails ranging from $500 to $1000, but all of them are made of Dacron and range from 5 to 5.53 oz fabric. They each come with a little different configuration by way extras (loose footer vs bolt rope, reef points, cunningham, etc), but by and large I see no big differences. I'm just trying to figure out why I would pay $400 more for one sail vs another if they are made of essentially the same stuff.

The sites I am considering thus far are:
Catalina Direct (sails by Ullman)
The Sail Store
North Sails (One Design)

The Sail Store is about $680 with all the features I want and One Design is about $1100. Before I drop the money, I just wanted to see what others thought. Do one of these brands stand head-and-shoulders above the other in terms of quality? I afraid I will just wind up spending the extra money because "more money means better quality," when in fact for my needs the cheaper sail would probably do just fine.

I only do daysailing in a local lake. The winds are typically 5-20 mph when I sail. This is strictly for enjoyment. No ocean, no cruising, no racing.

chucklesR 03-04-2013 01:29 PM

Re: new sails

For your needs, try Bacon's.
Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies

Sorry to add another choice to the list, but they do decent quality work for their price point. Your boats been around awhile and it's needs are pretty well known.

You do get what you pay for, North makes a good sail.

norsearayder 03-04-2013 01:52 PM

fx sails did my offshore sails,good people ,good work

Faster 03-04-2013 01:54 PM

These guys have good prices on Catalina sails...

Catalina Sails (stock or custom built) and New In-Stock Surplus Sails

Alex W 03-04-2013 02:33 PM

The price differences come down to where the sail is plotted, where it is sewn, and what materials are used. The material choice isn't only in the sail cloth (what is normally talked about), but also the type of battens (tapered or not), how the batten pockets are sewn and tensioned, how the sail slugs are attached to the sail, how many reefs you have, etc. I've found it pretty easy to see these differences when looking at a few different sails.

I have a friend who recently owned a Catalina 22 and in the last year he bought a new Rolly Tasker jib and North Direct main. He felt like the main was a better made sail with better attention to the details, but both were major improvements over what he had before. I didn't look closely enough at each sail myself to have strong feedback either way.

If you stated where you are located then someone may be able to recommend a local loft. I got competitive pricing and a really great sail for my Catalina 25 by working with an independent local loft.

KnottyGurl 03-04-2013 03:04 PM

Precision Sail, they have an ad on here, good prices and service. I am waiting on my ew main and genny from them

jsaronson 03-04-2013 05:19 PM

Rolly Tasker/National Sail Supply stocks lots of Catalina sails.

blakeyoung 03-04-2013 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. One thing I'm coming across (especially with Precision Sails) is the ability to choose radial weave vs crosscut. The radial weave is obviously superior but more expensive.

However, now I find myself getting back to the same old argument - yes it might be better, yes the quality may be better, but for a daysailor who doesn't race is it really necessary? I can find crosscut sails (Precision, FX, Ullman, etc) for $500-600. The radials are $1100.

I guess I just wondered what your personal thoughts were given the kind of sailing you do. I CAN afford the radials, but that's a big chunk of dough for me.

SchockT 03-04-2013 10:08 PM

I would say save your money and get crosscut. You probably won't notice the difference unless you are a racer.

CalebD 03-05-2013 12:04 AM

We got a new loose footed, full battened main from Rolly Tasker/sailwarehouse.com and are quite happy with it. The Sailwarehouse
They probably offer a few 'stock' sails for your C22 in different cloth weights.
The sails are made in Thailand so the labor is cheaper than any local loft but it takes some time if you need a sail made up custom.
I'm in NY but I used the guy out in Montery(?), CA to place the phone order for our sail.

I wouldn't worry about the radial vs crosscut either for your purposes.