Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013

blakeyoung is on a distinguished road
new sails

Well, I had already been thinking about buying a new main, and after taking the boat out in some pretty breezy winds the other day, I think my 30+ year old sail had had enough and wound up ripping from leech to luff.

(I appreciate the expertise everyone here, but I just want to mention from the outset that I am not going to repair this sail and I am not going to buy a used sail. I am strictly in the market for a brand new main.)

I unfortunately do not live close to a loft that can come out and do measurements on my boat, but my rig is stock (25' mast) and all of the sails that I have found online are the exact same measurement, so I'm not too worried about buying something that will not fit. It's a Catalina 22 - shouldn't be too complicated. I find sails ranging from $500 to $1000, but all of them are made of Dacron and range from 5 to 5.53 oz fabric. They each come with a little different configuration by way extras (loose footer vs bolt rope, reef points, cunningham, etc), but by and large I see no big differences. I'm just trying to figure out why I would pay $400 more for one sail vs another if they are made of essentially the same stuff.

The sites I am considering thus far are:
Catalina Direct (sails by Ullman)
The Sail Store
North Sails (One Design)

The Sail Store is about $680 with all the features I want and One Design is about $1100. Before I drop the money, I just wanted to see what others thought. Do one of these brands stand head-and-shoulders above the other in terms of quality? I afraid I will just wind up spending the extra money because "more money means better quality," when in fact for my needs the cheaper sail would probably do just fine.

I only do daysailing in a local lake. The winds are typically 5-20 mph when I sail. This is strictly for enjoyment. No ocean, no cruising, no racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: new sails

For your needs, try Bacon's.
Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies

Sorry to add another choice to the list, but they do decent quality work for their price point. Your boats been around awhile and it's needs are pretty well known.

You do get what you pay for, North makes a good sail.
Old 03-04-2013

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

fx sails did my offshore sails,good people ,good work
Old 03-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

These guys have good prices on Catalina sails...

Catalina Sails (stock or custom built) and New In-Stock Surplus Sails

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-04-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The price differences come down to where the sail is plotted, where it is sewn, and what materials are used. The material choice isn't only in the sail cloth (what is normally talked about), but also the type of battens (tapered or not), how the batten pockets are sewn and tensioned, how the sail slugs are attached to the sail, how many reefs you have, etc. I've found it pretty easy to see these differences when looking at a few different sails.

I have a friend who recently owned a Catalina 22 and in the last year he bought a new Rolly Tasker jib and North Direct main. He felt like the main was a better made sail with better attention to the details, but both were major improvements over what he had before. I didn't look closely enough at each sail myself to have strong feedback either way.

If you stated where you are located then someone may be able to recommend a local loft. I got competitive pricing and a really great sail for my Catalina 25 by working with an independent local loft.
Old 03-04-2013

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

Precision Sail, they have an ad on here, good prices and service. I am waiting on my ew main and genny from them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Rolly Tasker/National Sail Supply stocks lots of Catalina sails.
Old 03-04-2013

blakeyoung is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies everyone. One thing I'm coming across (especially with Precision Sails) is the ability to choose radial weave vs crosscut. The radial weave is obviously superior but more expensive.

However, now I find myself getting back to the same old argument - yes it might be better, yes the quality may be better, but for a daysailor who doesn't race is it really necessary? I can find crosscut sails (Precision, FX, Ullman, etc) for $500-600. The radials are $1100.

I guess I just wondered what your personal thoughts were given the kind of sailing you do. I CAN afford the radials, but that's a big chunk of dough for me.
Old 03-04-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I would say save your money and get crosscut. You probably won't notice the difference unless you are a racer.
blt2ski and Faster like this.
Hull#101
Old 03-05-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

We got a new loose footed, full battened main from Rolly Tasker/sailwarehouse.com and are quite happy with it. The Sailwarehouse
They probably offer a few 'stock' sails for your C22 in different cloth weights.
The sails are made in Thailand so the labor is cheaper than any local loft but it takes some time if you need a sail made up custom.
I'm in NY but I used the guy out in Montery(?), CA to place the phone order for our sail.

I wouldn't worry about the radial vs crosscut either for your purposes.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.