SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Run-aground sailboat was stolen (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97245-run-aground-sailboat-stolen.html)

shadowraiths 03-04-2013 01:59 PM

Run-aground sailboat was stolen

Three people are trapped on the boat and have so far refused the Coast Guard's assistance, said Petty Officer Tom McKenzie, a Coast Guard spokesman.

Rescue crews from the Coast Guard and local fire department have been monitoring the boat since it was spotted around dawn, but Pacifica police will now be responding to the scene, Fraass said. Police believe the boat was stolen sometime around 1 a.m. Monday.
"They're coming up with their game plan of what to do now," Fraass said.
link

chucklesR 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Run-aground sailboat was stolen

I suspect this happens more than we know, but usually the thief just slinks away

Minnewaska 03-04-2013 02:07 PM

Cracks me up. Where do you inconspicuously take a stolen 80 ft sailboat and how fast would you get there?

Philzy3985 03-04-2013 02:11 PM

I wonder what kind of feelings go through a person's head when they can watch their 80-foot luxury sailboat getting beaten to death in the surf while the thieves stand on it.

How often to people get away with stealing large beautiful boats?

Captainmeme 03-04-2013 02:18 PM

Maybe they take the stolen boat off the coast, strip it, transfer the stuff to a waiting boat, sink the stolen boat then sell the stuff at a nautical flea market. Seems like a lot of work and risk for a few thousand dollars of gain. Maybe they wanted it for drug running.

Tim R. 03-04-2013 02:22 PM

They refused CG assistance. Last time I knew, the CG is in control and should take this vessel by force. They have no problem boarding boats that are not foundering.

caberg 03-04-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philzy3985 (Post 998323)
I wonder what kind of feelings go through a person's head when they can watch their 80-foot luxury sailboat getting beaten to death in the surf while the thieves stand on it.

"Did I pay last month's insurance premium?"

avenger79 03-04-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 998331)
"Did I pay last month's insurance premium?"

nah, he has an 80 foot yacht....his thought - did my assistant remember to pay my insurance premium?

Fstbttms 03-04-2013 03:06 PM

Perps in custody, boat still in the surf, keel reported missing now.

NaviGsr 03-04-2013 03:06 PM

All these guys had to do to escape was swim to shore in maybe 10 ft of water before anyone noticed?

Look out! It's the sailboat thieves who can't swim!

File this under dumb criminals.