Port Everglades to Key Biscayne- what are the correct NOAA charts for my purposes? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Port Everglades to Key Biscayne- what are the correct NOAA charts for my purposes?

I have never purchased NOAA paper charts before and am not sure which ones to get. I am learning coastal navigation and need to get paper charts for Port Everglades Florida down to Biscayne Bay/ Key Biscayne or maybe Key Largo furthest.
I have been searching the NOAA site to order to right charts but am not sure which charts are the correct ones to simply practice dead reckoning on - I will not be the captain in charge and I just need the charts for my own study and practice. Any feedback for those who have coastal cruised this region who know the best charts to buy for my specific purposes would be really appreciated-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Port Everglades to Key Biscayne- what are the correct NOAA charts for my purposes

The most important chart to have is NOAA chart number 1. It is the key to learning all of the notations and symbols on the nautical charts. You can download it or purchase it.
U.S. Chart No. 1
Old 03-04-2013

Re: Port Everglades to Key Biscayne- what are the correct NOAA charts for my purposes

Chart no. 11467 is the chart covering the distance from Port Everglades to Biscayne Bay. There are other chart numbers offering greater detail within the coverage of 11467. You can see them online at this link. It is an interactive map that you can enlarge, etc.
Atlantic Coast
Old 03-04-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

A kind and dedicated soul has put free, downloadable printable charts on the web. I'm a newbie, so cannot post links, but if you search sailnet forums (at top of page) for 'chart 11451', you'll see a link about three-quarters down that'll take you to the thread. Check the 11451 series, especially the insets, for details about the Bay. 11465 - 11470 cover the northern part. If you have a little time in Port Everglades, Bluewater Books & Charts is right nearby. They're on the web. FYI: I have no connection with them, except as a customer.

Fair winds and following seas.
Old 03-04-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Sorry, mods -- double post.

Last edited by manatee; 03-04-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

or active captain.

what does the boat draw?
Old 03-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Although I would suggest buying the large format chart to practice plotting a course, here is a link to NOAA's printable chart booklets for your requested area. These are good for studying in places where large paper charts are more...awkward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-05-2013

As everyone here seems to agree the NOAA.gov website has a great deal of information and links to other sources as well.
Hope you enjoy the sailing classes out of Lauderdale. (ps: The boat you are considering would be great for Bahamas and Florida )
Old 03-06-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

if you are in FLL, go to blue water books off 17st. they can print anything you want. -for a price...

-or on SR84, hit WM, BOW, or sailorman... sailorman has used large paper charts in the back.
Old 03-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Click over to NOAA's On-Line Chart Viewer, and there, click on Atlantic Coast. Go down the list looking for the areas you are interested in. You can pull up the charts and the appropriate chart numbers.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.