Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

Has anyone done the inlet (or anywhere else along the Jersey coast) post Sandy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Has anyone done the inlet (or anywhere else along the Jersey coast) post Sandy?
Just Manasquan and Cape May, nothing has changed there...

Passing by Barnegat about 3 weeks after the storm, the buoyage appeared unchanged... I watched a commercial vessel depart, and from what I could tell, he was taking the normal track out...

the Oyster Creek channel into the bay has undoubtedly changed somewhat, but with all the commercial fishing done out of Barnegat Light, if the inlet channel had shifted significantly, it certainly would have been re-marked by now...
Old 03-08-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have to do the same trip. Crew will be my wife/me/ two delivery captains ( dealers for the boat) Believe they propose leaving Norfolk,Va -Straight shot to Barrington, R.I. Cut into L.I. sound depending on weather. Non stop. Although new boat it will be fully found except for entertainment electronics. Time late April/early May. Any concerns? Should I appeal to do the coastal hopping rather than straight shot? Figured learn the boat better in shorter time if we just "get her done".
Old 03-08-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

They are picking the fastest route. It's your boat. If the weather is bad don't be talked into something you are not comfortable with.
Old 03-09-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

This trip is my next cruising goal. I would much rather take a straight shot to Block Island from Cape May or Norfolk than coastal hop.

Here are the disadvantages of coastal hopping as I see it:

Risk of collision with local boat traffic
Risk of collision with Navaids, fishtraps, exposed wrecks, etc.
Risk of getting caught on lee shore with easterly/Noreaster
Risk of grounding on shoals, inlets, wrecks, etc.
Need to accommodate currents/tides in passage timing
Need to make certain distance in certain time for daylight inlet passages
Longer distance and considerably longer time required

Advantages:

Radio contact
Help nearby
Closer to rescue, if necessary
Psychological comfort of seeing land, other boats
Ability to refuel, restock, if necessary
Ability to sleep uninterrupted at dock or anchor w/o watch standing

Based on my non-scientific study of boating problems in the mid-Atlantic, most seem to stem from proximity to shore, not from being offshore. The distance of the straight shot from Va/NJ to RI is never so far from shore that you can't be saved by USCG if you carry an EPIRB.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road

I see one glaring problem with your pro/con list above and that's a heavy emphasis on the availability of rescue. Offshore trips should be planned as if rescue was not a possibility. Make sure you and your craft are ready for the trip. If you aren't, don't go.

I note that you seem to believe that you will encounter shipping near the coast but not offshore. If this is so, you couldn't be more wrong. You will be crossing two very busy in- and out-bound lanes, as well as encountering a ton of fishing activity. Add to that the fact that in the spring you stnd a good chance of encountering fog and you are setting yourself up for at least a very unpleasant passage.

If you are concerned about being on a lee shore, just avoid leaving in those conditions.

Don't be what I call a "mighty man of the sea" and leave on a schedule. Wait for a decent weather window for your trip. And take the best route. Treat it as something to be completed within a set time and you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble.
Old 03-09-2013

Both regall me with sea stories of storms they have gone through on transports. Wife and I both still work (MD/RN). Can arrange 7-10d window for trip. Boat has SSB, full nav with all the toys, raft/EPIRBs,Jordan series drogue, full ditchbag stormjib on colego softstay etc. so have much less concern about safety. Boat is purpose built passagemaker as well. Figure with radar and AIS shipping channels less of an issue.Wife has no offshore experience. I've done multiple Marion/Newport to Bermudas and some transports. Figure safe way to get her to realize the danger in the ocean is at the hard edges. Will use 96h weather charts to pick window. Will motorsail in light air (have 200+h of fuel at 7kts.) so figure 4d max.
Old 03-09-2013

Also note plan to do 3 person watch schedule with her always on watch with another person. I want to have one of "paid" crew with me as much of the time as possible to learn ship systems. That way the admiral is learning from some one other than me and I'm learning from people who really know my boat.
Question is will we gain(learn) more fom this trip going coastal or offshore?

Last edited by outbound; 03-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have to do the same trip. Crew will be my wife/me/ two delivery captains ( dealers for the boat) Believe they propose leaving Norfolk,Va -Straight shot to Barrington, R.I. Cut into L.I. sound depending on weather. Non stop. Although new boat it will be fully found except for entertainment electronics. Time late April/early May. Any concerns? Should I appeal to do the coastal hopping rather than straight shot? Figured learn the boat better in shorter time if we just "get her done".
Prudence dictates a proper shakedown before you go on an offshore trip like this. You need to verify all systems are working and up to the task--even if brand new--by spending significant time off the dock, but near enough to get a tow or other help if needed. Heading up the Chesapeake would offer you "offramps" if needed. The detour would be worth the several extra days if you've never been there.

If you stick to the original plan and you've never been offshore for days at a time, you may want to take precautions against sea sickness.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-09-2013

Builder/dealer will shakedown boat before my arrival. Will spend first day turning everything on/off during a daysail. That way failures dealt with by installors even if trip postponed. Then I was thinking of coastal for first 24-36h of cruise then offshore. I've done 5-10d trips offshore. She has been ~24h offshore. ? Can you suggest hybrid route plan?. Want to allow at least 3-4 d "downtime" inside our 10d window to allow for picking weather window so ideally keep trip no longer than 4-5d. Boat easily driven to hull speed of 8.38kts.

Tags
boston , cruising , delivery , norfolk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.