SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Norfolk, VA to Boston delivery

14K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Beneteau First 38 down in Annapolis. The boat is heading to Norfolk for a light refit and then I will need to get it up to Boston. I've never done this length of trip and was looking for some answers and tips.
1. How long is the trip?
2. Should I go up the Chessapeak or go outside? Mid May is the timeline.
3. Suggested stopping points to fuel up maybe take a break maybe not?
4. Anything else????

Thank you

#40 ·
Builder/dealer will shakedown boat before my arrival. Will spend first day turning everything on/off during a daysail. That way failures dealt with by installors even if trip postponed. Then I was thinking of coastal for first 24-36h of cruise then offshore. I've done 5-10d trips offshore. She has been ~24h offshore. ? Can you suggest hybrid route plan?. Want to allow at least 3-4 d "downtime" inside our 10d window to allow for picking weather window so ideally keep trip no longer than 4-5d. Boat easily driven to hull speed of 8.38kts.

#46 · (Edited)
spoke with wife. she wants to go straight through. Her thinking is same as Auspicious'. She surprised me by saying she wasn't adverse to seeing some weather. Her thinking was she rather have that happen the first time with redundent skilled crew aboard than when it's just the two of us. Still will look at the 500mb for 3d. If I don't like it won't go.
I was thinking I and the other two would single. She would do 4 and 8's but one of us would be designated as her crew.e.g. she would single as well but under a watchful eye. Figured when off watch play with systems with who ever wasn't sleeping.
Have typical pretuned ICOM ssb with pracnor modem for salmail/weatherfax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.