Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
Re: Courtesy Flags

As to the British captain on the U.S. boat, the "nationality" of the boat is what determines proper etiquette. A U.S. boat will show the U.S. flag, regardless of who's at the helm, and entry requirements would also be in accordance with the country of origin of the vessel. Entry requirements for individuals on board would be governed by whatever agreements exist between someone's home-country (e.g. passport issuer) and the destination country.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There are kits to make your own courtesy flags. I think Sailrite has a pattern book for sale. Remember that courtesy flags are sometimes not the same as national flags (as with British red duster). I made a few flags. They are quite time consuming to make and kinda not worth the effort unless very simple, like the French tri-color or plain yellow Q. Some flags are really complicated. They may be one of those things that are better left to flag-makers unless you're really good with detailed work on a sewing machine or have a lot of patience (which I do not).
Just a thought about courtesy flags at a decent price. We have had good success with the 12 x 18 flag that are designed to sit on a table (they come mounted on a stick). We get them at the US Flag Store, for something like $2.40 each (cheaper if you get more than one for a particular country. Really good for going through the Caribbean where you need lots of flags. These are not the highest quality but will easily last for more than a month. We bought more than one for countries where we would be longer. Hint: they sell British red ensigns. We bought a few spare ones and used parts of them (Union Jack and the other three quarters) to make other flags, for example we could not buy a Cook Island flag anywhere and the chief seamstress had to sew 26 stars onto it. We were also lucky enough to buy some leftover flags from the soccer World Cup for $5. These were excellent quality since they were designed to be flown from cars. Guess what I am saying is get them where you can. Flags from marine stores can be horribly expensive. In Oz, flags were $35, including Indonesia which is just half red and half white.
smurphny and Silvio like this.
Old 03-08-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide to flags from the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron: How to fly flags

rikhall likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-08-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Okay,
I am now at risk of hijacking this thread but I thought this was interesting regarding the Q flag. It is from a history of the use of the Q flag. What caught my attention was this particular section's date. It would be interesting to hear from a Canadian or a recent visitor to Canada about the procedures there in light of this:

Canada
The Canadian rules for the quarantine are prescribed in Memorandum D3-5-1, issued on 11 February 1998 in Ottawa by the Canada Border Service Agency:

15. Where a vessel arrives in Canada flying a yellow quarantine flag (infectious disease), the customs inspector will not conduct normal clearance procedures until advised by the appropriate health authority that it is safe to do so. Pending such notification, the customs inspector, with the help of the local police authority or the RCMP, as deemed appropriate, will endeavour to ensure that the vessel is maintained in a sterile condition pending cancellation of the health alert by the competent health authority.

Quarantine Regulations [C.R.C., c. 1368, Section 15]
I think the Canadian Border Service Agency needs to check the International Maritime Signal Flag book, which says you fly the "Q" flag to indicate the following:

Quote:
Quebec - my vessel is healthy and I request free pratique
In days of yore, the Q flag was flown to request the health officials to visit the vessel and issue a "free pratique" meaning (according to Wikipedia):

Quote:
Pratique is the license given to a ship to enter port on assurance from the captain to convince the authorities that she is free from contagious disease. The clearance granted is commonly referred to as Free Pratique.

A ship can signal a request for "Pratique" by flying a solid yellow square-shaped flag. This yellow flag is the Q flag in the set of International maritime signal flags.
Once the pratique was issued the Captain was free to go ashore and clear the vessel into the port, or the port officials were free to come aboard and do the same.

Now it's generally accepted meaning is that the vessel has not cleared customs and technically no one should approach or board the vessel until the vessel (and her stores / cargo) is cleared by local customs officials and all persons aboard are granted entry by immigration officials.

In some places you still need a clearance by health officials. For example, clearing into Costa Rica I had to first go the the office of the Port Captain (think Harbormaster), then Immigration, then Customs, then Health and Agriculture. Four different offices located in different parts of the town, four stamps -- and then you go back to the Port Captain and he tells you it's OK to tie up or anchor in this or that place. Then you're done and can go to the bar.

PS -- I was trying to think of something snarky to say about the people who live to the north of us getting things absolutely backwards, but it's late and I have to cook dinner.
Silvio likes this.
Old 03-08-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I had always assumed that the requirement to fly the Q flag when first entering a countries territorial waters was universal.

Does anyone know of countries where it is specified that this is not required.
Old 03-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Just a thought about courtesy flags at a decent price. We have had good success with the 12 x 18 flag that are designed to sit on a table (they come mounted on a stick). We get them at the US Flag Store, for something like $2.40 each (cheaper if you get more than one for a particular country. Really good for going through the Caribbean where you need lots of flags. These are not the highest quality but will easily last for more than a month. We bought more than one for countries where we would be longer. Hint: they sell British red ensigns. We bought a few spare ones and used parts of them (Union Jack and the other three quarters) to make other flags, for example we could not buy a Cook Island flag anywhere and the chief seamstress had to sew 26 stars onto it. We were also lucky enough to buy some leftover flags from the soccer World Cup for $5. These were excellent quality since they were designed to be flown from cars. Guess what I am saying is get them where you can. Flags from marine stores can be horribly expensive. In Oz, flags were $35, including Indonesia which is just half red and half white.
That's where I got my supply of courtesy flags:-) Now what to do with all those nice dowels!
Old 04-18-2013

JohnnyChristo is on a distinguished road
which flag where wear

Hi sorry need this spelt out lol.
So I am British citizen and my boat is Australian so which flag and where should I fly it? Thnx
Old 04-18-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: which flag where wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChristo View Post
Hi sorry need this spelt out lol.
So I am British citizen and my boat is Australian so which flag and where should I fly it? Thnx
Believe you would fly the flag of the country in which the boat is registered/documented/papered, e.g Australia in your situation.
Old 04-19-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

I've never seen a definitive answer as to where a state flag (of the boats home port while in that state) should be flown. (Perhaps etiquette wise they shouldn't but...) I would hazard a guess probably the port flag halyard?
Old 04-19-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road

Starboard Halyard.