Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

JohnnyChristo is on a distinguished road
Courtesy Flags

So my thinking is fly the Australian ensign and the British ensign under it when I am skipper off the starboard halyard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChristo View Post
So my thinking is fly the Australian ensign and the British ensign under it when I am skipper off the starboard halyard.
Nope.

On an Australian registered vessel, Australian ensign on a transom flag staff or on the leech of the aft most sail.

I would actually fly the flag of nationality off the port spreader, saving the starboard spreader for the courtesy flag.

When I chartered a British registered boat in Turkey: British ensign on transom flagstaff, Turkish flag on starboard spreader, Canadian flag on port spreader, company burgee on pig stick at masthead.
rikhall likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-23-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusi View Post
Thank you all for your replies, but there is NO rigging on F32, NO spreaders either!
So question remains ....... ? B
Clearly a vessel with no rigging whatsoever is not intended for international travel and thus needs no flags. Ergo, the point is moot. Case closed
Old 04-23-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChristo View Post
AFAIK the nationality of the skipper is the least important issue unless he's an "undesirable", certainly I don't believe any flags are required to designate personal nationality.

In New Zealand, the Q flag upon entry is a non-negotiable legal requirement because of the huge importance the local government place on bio-security. The flag stays up until the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) have been aboard, confiscated most of the foodstuff, checked that there are no animals/insects/infestations on board. They will have a MAJOR sense of humor failure if a foreign vessel comes into a port and does not fly a Q flag. In fact, an arriving vessel is required to advise C&I and MAF of their arrival 24 hours out and many terse questions are asked of vessels arriving unannounced. They want to be waiting on the dock 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarney_sailor View Post
you are supposed to fly the quarantine flag until cleared and then replace the Q with the courtesy flag.
That's the way I have always done it.

As far as etiquette goes, we arrived in Seychelles without a courtesy flag and the Customs officers told us where to go buy one and how long it should take and then came back an hour later to check that we had. They feel very insulted if you don't fly a courtesy flag. I seem to remember Indonesia is the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-24-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

As far as etiquette goes, we arrived in Seychelles without a courtesy flag and the Customs officers told us where to go buy one and how long it should take and then came back an hour later to check that we had. They feel very insulted if you don't fly a courtesy flag. I seem to remember Indonesia is the same.
Ahh perhaps the officer's sister has the concession for selling such flags.

Just saying!
Old 04-24-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

In Indonesia the wanted the courtesy flag to be larger than the ensign. We solved that problem by not flying the ensign which is pretty common for cruisers anyway. As a result, the courtesy flag (standard size) was bigger than nothing.
Old 04-24-2013

sailor wench is on a distinguished road

You fly the country you are from off of the transom, on a flag pole if you have one. Then you fly the courtesy flag of the country you are visiting off of the starboard spreader. however, you have the fly the yellow quarantine flag off of the starboars spreader until you have cleared customs in that country, at which time you remove the quarantine flag and replace it with the courtesy flag from the country you are visiting. Use the flag clips especially made (the metal ones with the springs in them) to attach the flags. they make several sizes, so be sure to get the correct size or the flag won't stay in place. I had this happen once and zip ties worked wonderfully to keep the flag in it's proper position.
Old 04-25-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor wench View Post
You fly the country you are from off of the transom, on a flag pole if you have one.
Sometimes vessel registration and skipper/crew nationality do not coincide. The flag of the country of vessel registration is flown from the transom or the leech of the aft most sail.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)