Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road
Re: s/v S/V question ?

And here I always thought it was SUV. Silly me. If your friend hasn't stipulated what he or she actually wants, you may both be in for an embarrassment. People with boats can be very picky (a place for everything and everything in its place!!! ). If your friend doesn't already have this thing, maybe there's a reason. It might be best to find out first. Maybe it's because they would absolutely never have such a thing on board (I feel that way about music systems on a boat). Or perhaps it's because they are still saving up for one - (so it might be very much appreciated - like a portable VHF, for example.) Ask first, and no one will be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Hms
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When in writing, I prefer s/v followed by the name in all CAPITALS. It subtly identifies the ship as a sailboat, but doesn't overwhelm the actual name.

If you're making a plaque, I would just do whatever you think looks best for the purpose.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

When I'm on the VHF and want to be identified accurately I call myself Sailing Vessel "boat name". That way if someone is looking they look for the stick with the table cloth flapping on it (mast and sails).

I'd ask the owner what he calls his boat, on the radio and in his log (or check his blog if he has one).

In writing it's (IMHO) S/V BoatName when you want to be formal. More often than not I leave S/V out unless it's germane to the communication to note the difference.

Note the Italics, I believe that it is the custom to italicize a boat name.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteowl View Post
I'm not a sailor but I want to have a plaque made for a sailor friend. This is a private cruising vessel less than 35 feet. Is the use of S/V or s/v appropriate to use in front of the vessel's name? If not is there something else to use? I want to be sure the boat name is understood to be the name of the vessel and not a nickname for the recipient. I have seen the s/v and S/V used but I'm not sure when that is appropriate or if there are rules as to the use of the abbreviations.
If the yacht is a US vessel formally registered and documented one can use the format United Sstates Sailing Vessel ("USSV") YachtName
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

So there we have it. No agreement.

That is ironically, the answer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
If your friend hasn't stipulated what he or she actually wants, you may both be in for an embarrassment. People with boats can be very picky (a place for everything and everything in its place!!! ).
This is me. When someone gives me a physical gift it's basically something that makes me artificially smile, take, and then throw in the trash when I get home. I appreciate the gesture, but it's just wasting money and adding to a landfill. I'd rather they didn't give me anything, I really don't have the room. But you can't really tell people that and not offend them

If I really needed to give a gift to a cruiser I'd find out if they had a Kindle or iPad. If they did, they'd probably love a gift card they could spend on either(ebooks, music, etc).

But physical stuff... land dwellers don't get it. Heck, my sister gave me a bar of soap and my boat isn't setup to where I can use bars of soap
Old 03-08-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteowl View Post
I want to be sure the boat name is understood to be the name of the vessel and not a nickname for the recipient.

Must be one heluva boat name. Care to share it?
Old 03-08-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
This is me. When someone gives me a physical gift it's basically something that makes me artificially smile, take, and then throw in the trash when I get home. I appreciate the gesture, but it's just wasting money and adding to a landfill. I'd rather they didn't give me anything, I really don't have the room. But you can't really tell people that and not offend them

If I really needed to give a gift to a cruiser I'd find out if they had a Kindle or iPad. If they did, they'd probably love a gift card they could spend on either(ebooks, music, etc).

But physical stuff... land dwellers don't get it. Heck, my sister gave me a bar of soap and my boat isn't setup to where I can use bars of soap
If the issue is a gift there are some things I can think of that would be well received.

A load of fuel for example.

100 feet of New England Rope's new dinghy tether.

Labor.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.