SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   s/v S/V question ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97348-s-v-s-v-question.html)

Whiteowl 03-07-2013 10:25 AM

s/v S/V question ?

I'm not a sailor but I want to have a plaque made for a sailor friend. This is a private cruising vessel less than 35 feet. Is the use of S/V or s/v appropriate to use in front of the vessel's name? If not is there something else to use? I want to be sure the boat name is understood to be the name of the vessel and not a nickname for the recipient. I have seen the s/v and S/V used but I'm not sure when that is appropriate or if there are rules as to the use of the abbreviations.

DRFerron 03-07-2013 10:40 AM

Re: s/v S/V question ?

You probably won't find 100% agreement on the use of S/V. It's a personal choice and there is no requirement for recreational vessels to use it so there is no one definitive source to reference. It also differs depending on what country you are in.

Personally, I prefer to see S/V rather than s/v. I treat it like an acronym, which is usually (but not always, of course) capitalized.

CarbonSink62 03-07-2013 11:23 AM

FWIW - My logbook shows 'S/V Zen Again' on the cover.

Faster 03-07-2013 11:30 AM

Does it even need the slash?.. SV or MV....

Silvio 03-07-2013 11:46 AM

FWIW I have seen it most often as SV or MV or FV, in capitals, without the slash when placed on a boat but for some reason I see it S/V etc when written on log books or in signature blocks etc.

rhr1956 03-07-2013 12:55 PM

Personally I like the see the name preceeded by the word Yacht.

Hesper 03-07-2013 03:56 PM

I always sign my emails to sailing buddies s/v Hesper. But that's just me.

LauderBoy 03-07-2013 03:59 PM

I use the S/V (which means Sailing Vessel) for my address when I have items delivered. Mostly because it sounds cool :)

But I don't believe I see the S/V used on boat names painted on transoms. It seems more like an official Mr/Mrs type thing. For a placard that was to be hung I don't think you'd normally see the S/V in it anymore than an office door placard would have Mr John Smith on it.

However I don't have a huge history with this nautical stuff. I wouldn't be upset if any gift had the S/V, but if I was making my own I'd leave it out. Would be interesting to hear other's opinions on this.

johnnyquest37 03-07-2013 04:15 PM

I'd use S/V if the boat's name requires some clarification that it is a boat's name. If the there is little ambiguity, just italicize the name of the yacht. If the boat is named Mr. Bill or something like that, S/V might help eliminate doubt.

pdqaltair 03-07-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 (Post 999674)
I'd use S/V if the boat's name requires some clarification that it is a boat's name. If the there is little ambiguity, just italicize the name of the yacht. If the boat is named Mr. Bill or something like that, S/V might help eliminate doubt.

That is the standard style rule for most publications. Also,the use of "the" in front of a boat name is clumsy; popular books may print "the Titanic," but would you call your daughter "the Cindy" or sail to "the Hawaii?" Italics are cleaner.