Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Wasp, Dirt Dobbers?

Hope this is the right place for this, if not please move. What is the best way to keep wasp/dirt dobbers OFF my boat? In a weeks time I will find a wasp nest in my sail cover, along with the owners, makes sail raising alot of fun. And the dirt dobbers,(I guess that's how it's spelled), out of the inside? They get into my foul weather gear, stove, eng room, along with the wasp, I find the dirt nest on my inside hand rails, almost everywhere, HELP! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Wasp, Dirt Dobbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSF View Post
Hope this is the right place for this, if not please move. What is the best way to keep wasp/dirt dobbers OFF my boat? In a weeks time I will find a wasp nest in my sail cover, along with the owners, makes sail raising alot of fun. And the dirt dobbers,(I guess that's how it's spelled), out of the inside? They get into my foul weather gear, stove, eng room, along with the wasp, I find the dirt nest on my inside hand rails, almost everywhere, HELP! Thanks.
I went through the same baloney with paper wasps and mud-dobbers for awhile as well. After trying many supposed remedies, the thing I found that worked--suggested on another site--was a mixture of 2 Oz of Oil of Mint, and a cap full of liquid dish soap mixed with a cup of water in a spray bottle. Apply liberally to anywhere that you find the wasps tending congregate. If they are getting into sails, apply the mix to a "swiffer" sheet and slip a part of it into a fold of your sails, leaving the majority exposed even if under your sail cover. This seemed to work for us and I keep a spray bottle of the mix under the galley sink to employ if we even see a wasp. A mud-dobber that builds his house in a vent line, particularly a fuel vent or holding tank vent, can cause serious problems (BTDT).

Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-07-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

not sure how to do it on sailboats, but on my camper I purchased fine mesh screens to cover openings that they like to congregate in.
Old 03-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Some claim that an inflated brown paper bag hung in the area makes 'other' wasps believe the territory is already taken and will go elsewhere...

Won't cost much to try!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-07-2013

yossarian is on a distinguished road

Dirt dobbers, or mud wasps as we call them, love your boat because it has spiders. They kill spiders and pack the dead spiders into the mud huts with their eggs/larvae. The eggs hatch, the larvae eat the dead spiders and grow, then they chew their way out of the mud hut as a full-fledged wasp.

In short, get rid of your spiders and you will get rid of the mud wasps. I've had short-term luck wiping the surfaces of my boat down with dryer sheets - for some reason it keeps the spiders away, but not for long.
chucklesR likes this.
Old 03-07-2013

OK, I'll try the mix, and the 'brown bag' trick, I hope something works. I just love putting on foul weather gear and knocking a nest out with my arm. Why do they love MY boat so much, the other boats are nicer! (Come to think of it I never see any spiders on my boat, so why don't they go get a free meal on the other boats)?
Old 03-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Oh we all get the spiders...I dont know mamny boats who dont have a hitch hiker or two.
We also put a the bailing sponge for our dinghy in the end of our boom. Seems to be a favorite place for the wasps or birds to find shelter from the rain and wind and nest

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-07-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
Dirt dobbers, or mud wasps as we call them, love your boat because it has spiders. They kill spiders and pack the dead spiders into the mud huts with their eggs/larvae. The eggs hatch, the larvae eat the dead spiders and grow, then they chew their way out of the mud hut as a full-fledged wasp.
All true, except the wasps do not kill the spiders. They paralyze the spiders and stuff the paralyzed, but alive, spiders into the mud tombs along with an egg. By keeping the spiders alive, the wasps preserve the spiders as a food source for the little wasp larvae. The larvae then munch on the living spiders.

I really. REALLY dislike spiders, but this fate almost makes me feel sorry for them.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Critters of all types just seem to like sailing. I've found the only way to keep 'em out is closing/screening even the smallest places they get in: limber holes, vents, holes in masts/booms, exhaust pipes, etc. Around here, people who don't plug the ends of masts in the spring invariably wind up with bird's nests inside, a "moral dilemma." It seemed to be the "Year of the Yellow Jacket" last summer around Champlain. They were in every imaginable unfilled opening.

Unless Aragog size, I don't mind the spiders that spin bug-catching webs. It's amazing how many gnats and other small biting critters are caught in those webs.

Last edited by smurphny; 03-08-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2013

Thumbs up Re: Wasp, Dirt Dobbers?

Thanks All! I'm going to put 'stockings' over the hull vents, that may help. Wonder if you could 'fog' it? I was told to wipe everything down with 'pine sol', think that'll work?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.