Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: Headed North...

It's begining to make sense why it's snowing up here today.

I really liked reading about your adventure this winter. Enjoy the slog northward & be safe!
Old 03-08-2013
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road

Bon Voyage Gary, you're well ahead of me (won't leave Marathon until March 12. A dock mate left about the same time as you, should you encounter an Island Packet 420 named Anywhere the skipper is a good friend of mine named Gregg, please say hello.

Travel easy as Maryland and Virginia need a chance to warm-up before arrival.

Mike
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Upper 50's this weekend, then back to the 40's. Take your time, enjoy the trip.
We'll all be here (dang it) when you pass by.
Old 03-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Safe sailing Gary. Have enjoyed following your adventure. Take your time. Spring is still hiding somewhere down that way:-)
Old 03-12-2013

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

Anyone heard from Gary? We are still very interested in his adventure even though he is now headed away from paradise. Hope to meet Gary next year Down Island and learn from his experience first hand.
Old 03-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

Mario and I were discussing the comfort aspect of cruising a few weeks ago. What he said made absolutely good sense. "The whole point about cruising is to get from place to place in comfort. Beating your brains out and freezing to death is not part of cruising - it's insanity." I couldn't agree more. I like my gas grill, hot showers, Temper-pedic foam mattress in the Vee Berth, TV, internet connection, cell phone communications, etc...
Well, that's one style of cruising, of course... And I certainly agree it's nice to have those sort of creature comforts...

However, when one strives to eliminate any and all possibility of "discomfort" from wandering about in a small boat (not to mention needing niceties such as internet and TV), one will certainly be taking a wide array of fascinating potential destinations off the table... Hell, even the Caribbean or South Pacific can be a real bitch to get to, sometimes... (grin)

Lots of versions of "Paradise" out there, Gary - and some might involve a considerable amount of discomfort to get there...

Here is the aptly-named Paradise Harbor, Antarctica, for example...

blowinstink likes this.
Old 03-12-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Craig and Peter Smith (of former Rocna anchor fame) went to Antarctica too: Antarctica Photo Journal (1): Drake Passage & landfall Antarctica
Great photos of Patagonia, Falklands and Antarctica.

I wouldn't call that a cruising trip though, more like a mission.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Yup! They is cruising and then they is Expeditions! Ha!

Down
Old 03-13-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Too cold for this old man. Any temperature lower than my age is the dead of winter, and I hate winter with a passion. I need palm trees, sugar white sand, turquoise water and warmth - 72 to 85 is just fine.

I've made it to Fernadino Beach, which is just below the Georgia border this afternoon. All of the past six days have been inside, the outside is really nasty right now - winds in the 25 sustained and 35 gusts category, mainly from the northwest. Temperatures are expected to fall into the 30s tonight - it's gonna be a cold one.

The enclosure works like a charm, pretty much as described by others - sailing in a green house. Sometimes it's too warm and I have to remove a panel to get the temperature in the cockpit down to a comfy 75 degrees.

Depending on tomorrow's weather, we'll either head out of the inlet here, or stay inside until we reach Saint Simon, which leads me to this question.

Has anyone here had any first had experience going out the inlet at Saint Simon Island? This is one of the few that I have never utilized when I was running power boats and fishing offshore, so I could really use some help ASAP.

Haven't had sufficient internet access to post the vids yet, but with luck I'll be able to do a couple tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Depending on tomorrow's weather, we'll either head out of the inlet here, or stay inside until we reach Saint Simon, which leads me to this question.

Has anyone here had any first had experience going out the inlet at Saint Simon Island? This is one of the few that I have never utilized when I was running power boats and fishing offshore, so I could really use some help ASAP.
St. Simon's Sound is one of the most straightforward entrances along the coast, and used by deep draft vessels going into Brunswick...

However, it is a LONG way in there from the sea buoy, and you really don't want to cut the corner coming from the south by more than about the second pair of buoys... All depends on the tide, if it's on the ebb, it will seem like FOREVER to get in there... If it's on the flood, however, and the breeze is still up out of the NW, it will kick up a very nasty chop...

So, hopefully it will lay down for you tomorrow, and the tide will be flooding on your arrival... Good luck...