Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Headed North...

Be safe out there! and take your time.. still nasty up here.. Warmer during the day.. but dipping below freezing at night

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Gary,

Where did you sit out this last frontal system that swept up the coast?

Down
Old 03-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Sorry, Gary - it appears I misunderstood your question, sounds like you are thinking of departing from St. Simon's, right?

Unfortunately, that involves a considerable amount of losing a lot of ground back out to the SE, that's the problem with going back out any of the Georgia Sounds heading north, and St. Simon's is the worst - involving the greatest distance heading SE before you can turn the corner headed N... And, you do not want to cut that corner headed N, by much, anyway...

You might consider hanging at Fernandina until you get your weather... Did you visit Cumberland Island on your trip south? Wonderful spot, you could spend tomorrow exploring there, then depart from St, Marys Entrance the next day...

If you do go up to St. Simon's inside, you might continue heading up to Sapelo Sound, and out there instead... Sapelo is the one sound that trends somewhat to the NE... Don't attempt it with any significant swell running, however - though after a strong NW breeze, it should be pretty flat out there... The buoyage is widely spaced, and it's shallow a couple of miles off, but you'll be OK, and the charting thru there is pretty accurate...

Good luck...
Silvio likes this.
Old 03-14-2013
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Sorry, Gary - it appears I misunderstood your question, sounds like you are thinking of departing from St. Simon's, right?

Unfortunately, that involves a considerable amount of losing a lot of ground back out to the SE, that's the problem with going back out any of the Georgia Sounds heading north, and St. Simon's is the worst - involving the greatest distance heading SE before you can turn the corner headed N... And, you do not want to cut that corner headed N, by much, anyway...
Jon,

I have not made this trip. I am wondering how much ground you are referring to that would be lost leaving from St. Simon's. How many miles before you can turn ne? Some of that distance is easterly so that would not be lost. It just doesn't look to me like a serious detour. It might add an hour or two to the trip at best. Is that a fair estimate? I am not trying to be contrary, just wondering about the choice. It might shorten the trip if weather is favorable and traveling inside is avoided.

Thanks for your experience.

Down
Old 03-14-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Jon,

The outside trip saves about 68 miles if you leave Florida at Fernandina Inlet and come back inside at Paris Island. Also takes a lot of the headaches out of the excursion with Georgia's unkept segment of the ICW. Today, the winds were howling at 25 and gusty from the north and northwest, so I opted to remain inside and spend the night at Jekyll Harbor Marina, where I can also spend the night in relative comfort with their electrical power hookup. Tonight's forecast is for temperatures in the 30s.

Tomorrow morning, I'll head out of the inlet at Saint Simons and make my way north to Paris Island or Beaufort, SC.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Jon,

The outside trip saves about 68 miles if you leave Florida at Fernandina Inlet and come back inside at Paris Island. Also takes a lot of the headaches out of the excursion with Georgia's unkept segment of the ICW. Today, the winds were howling at 25 and gusty from the north and northwest, so I opted to remain inside and spend the night at Jekyll Harbor Marina, where I can also spend the night in relative comfort with their electrical power hookup. Tonight's forecast is for temperatures in the 30s.

Tomorrow morning, I'll head out of the inlet at Saint Simons and make my way north to Paris Island or Beaufort, SC.

Cheers,

Gary
Thanks, Gary, I'm well aware of the distance saved and other issues with running the Ditch... That's why the ONLY times I'll run inside - particularly between Morehead City/Beaufort and the Florida line - is when the weather absolutely compels me to do so... (grin)

The point I was making, is simply that a considerable distance is added by going up inside to St Simons, and then back out from there... From the ICW departing from St Marys Entrance, the distance up to the St Simons sea buoy is roughly 24 NM... By running inside to St Simons, and then out from there, you'll have traveled approx. 40 NM to reach the same spot...

Hope the seas lay down for you, and that you don't hit Port Royal Sound on the ebb... If you do, that will be a LONG ride back inside... You might consider staying out longer, and going back in at the South Edisto River, instead... Coming from the south, that's a good way to come into Charleston, and that will save a lot of ICW miles between Port Royal/Beaufort and the Edisto River... South Edisto is by far the shortest In & Out along this part of the coast, whenever I need to make a pit stop for fuel or sleep when running down the coast, I'll often stop at Edisto Marina... Nice little off spot off the beaten track, and a terrific restaurant upstairs...

Sounds like you've got a lot of SW in your forecast over the next several days, enjoy...
Old 03-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Take you time Gary...Hihghs the next 2 days in the fourties

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jon. Just might take advantage of the calmer conditions are head for Charleston, which is only another 42 miles farther. Sure is cold down here tonight, though.

Dave, I just talked with my wife in Forest Hill and she said it was just as cold there and tomorrow's highs will be in the 40s at most. Sure glad I opted to go for that enclosure - it makes life a lot more comfortable while in the cockpit in cold, windy weather. Today, when we pulled into the marina and opened the dodger's center window it felt like someone threw a bucket of ice into the cockpit. Sure makes a huge difference when you're surrounded by clear vinyl.

The internet connection here is a bit slow, therefore, It will be a while before I can post some new photos and videos.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Jon,

I have not made this trip. I am wondering how much ground you are referring to that would be lost leaving from St. Simon's. How many miles before you can turn ne? Some of that distance is easterly so that would not be lost. It just doesn't look to me like a serious detour. It might add an hour or two to the trip at best. Is that a fair estimate? I am not trying to be contrary, just wondering about the choice. It might shorten the trip if weather is favorable and traveling inside is avoided.

Thanks for your experience.

Down
In my last reply to Gary above, I explain why I might have just waited another day in Fernandina and going out from there, instead...

From St. Simons, the choice whether to go back outside there, or continue up the ditch and out at Sapelo, will mostly depend on the tides, and wind... The distance from the ICW out to the St. Simons sea buoy is roughly 10 NM, about 8 NM to the point where you could safely leave the channel and turn NE... You're right, it does trend to the SE, so it's not like you're headed in the entirely wrong direction, but still... Otherwise, the overall distance to the Sapelo Sound sea buoy is approximately the same, whether going back out at St Simons, or continuing up the ICW and out at Sapelo...

High water in that area today comes at about 1100... From where Gary is, he could catch the last of the ebb out of St Simons with a departure at low tide - but unfortunately that would involve leaving in the dark, and running through the stretch behind Jekyll Island (one of the shallower spots in Georgia) at dead low water. He'd be better placed to ride the ebb out had he continued further yesterday, up to Golden Isles Marina behind St Simons... Of course, that would have likely involved running Jekyll Sound at low water yesterday afternoon, but at least it would have been during daylight...

But leaving this morning at a more gentlemanly hour from Golden Isles (leave there too early in the AM, and you'd miss the delicious homemade muffins the dockmaster puts in the cockpit of transient guests each morning) and going up inside, you could catch the fair current from the flood into the sound, and up the Mackay River, and arriving at the troublesome area of Altamaha Sound/Little Mud River on a rising tide, and eventually pick up the ebb in the afternoon and ride it down the entire length of the Mud River and out Sapelo Sound... So, today the tides would work pretty favorably for that option of going up inside, and either for continuing out and doing an overnight, or anchoring up in a nice creek behind Sapelo Island and departing the sound on the ebb early the following AM...

Of course, all this becomes moot if conditions are favorable for actually sailing outside, then it would be a no-brainer to leave from St Simons... Odds are you'd be doing little pure sailing on the ICW, with the possible exception of the longer, straight stretch down the Mud River to Sapelo Sound...
downeast450 likes this.
Old 03-15-2013
Tundra Down

Jon,

Thanks for your thoughtful answer. I did have a better understanding from your last post to Gary.

I have no experience traveling in the ICW. When the Admiral retires that should change. We will enjoy a slow trip down and up the coast, spending time in many of the places we have been visiting over the years. We don't make it west of Boston in our own boat now.

This is another example of the valuable resource fellow Sailnet members are. I would have made the decision based on the muffins alone!

Down