Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
Did you go inside through GA or outside? If you went inside, I want the details.
I took a full-keeled draft of 5' thru most of Georgia a couple of weeks ago... It was blowing a near-gale out of the west, producing the most extreme blow-out tides/lowest water I'd ever seen in Georgia before, yet I still ran thru 2 low tides with little problem...

Left Harbour Town on Hilton Head about 0400, at dead low water... Their basin has silted in quite badly, the floating docks opposite the fuel docks/lighthouse were high and dry, and I barely made it out...

No problems until the entrance to Fields Cut approaching the Savannah River crossing, where I bumped once... Hell Gate seemed like it might have been dicey at dead low with my draft, but still passable...

By late afternoon, approaching Altamaha Sound, I was at dead low water again... I had already encountered two tugs/barges aground near Creighton Narrows, but still found plenty of water to pass... I figured there was no way I was gonna make it thru the Little Mud River (probably the single worst spot in recent years) at such low water, but I did (leaving a bit of a furrow in the bottom, no doubt) No further problem down to Golden Isles Marina, where I arrived at around 2030, then running outside the following day... I'd brought 6' thru the known trouble spot in Jekyll Sound last spring at close to low water, however, so it's certainly do-able...

Really no problems at all, so in my experience I'd suggest that the difficulties of transiting the ICW through Georgia at the present time have been overstated to a considerable degree...
T37SOLARE likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Speaking of degrees - it's going down to 26 here tonight in Hamstead, NC, located about 50 miles down the ICW from Morehead City. Sure glad I've got a heatpump on the boat and connected to the AC power. Hope to make another 50 miles tomorrow, weather depending, of course. My wife says it's a lot colder at home and may snow. Just another 267 miles to Norfolk, which should be doable in about 5 to 6 days. Then it's another 4 to 5 days up the Chesapeake to home.

Hope you catch up John and Mario - I'll make the Margarettas.

Gary
Old 03-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Gary,

We had snow here in Atlantic City Today.. so take your time

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-21-2013

Despite what Jon says, I'm sure glad I had the enclosure made - it's just like sailing in a greenhouse. I LOVE IT!

Gary
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Speaking of degrees - it's going down to 26 here tonight in Hamstead, NC, located about 50 miles down the ICW from Morehead City. Sure glad I've got a heatpump on the boat and connected to the AC power. Hope to make another 50 miles tomorrow, weather depending, of course.
Might leapfrog you tomorrow, will be going outside from Wrightsville up to Beaufort Inlet...

Left Grand Dunes behind Myrtle Beach this morning, catching a great boost from the ebb out of Little River Inlet... Beautiful sail from Little River over to the Cape Fear River, couldn't have ordered anything better than the 20 knots out of the NW for that ride... Flew up the Cape Fear on the flood, our good fortune with the timing of the tide continues...

Until turning into Snow's Cut at Carolina Beach, that is...

Arrived there at the top of the tide around 1500, to find that sandblasting/painting was being done on the bridge... A scaffolding had reduced the clearance by a few feet, so we were gonna have to wait...

Tied up to the fender system, and walked to boat forward to eyeball it... Not even close, we were gonna have to wait for about a 3 foot drop...

Current was ripping at 3 knots or more from astern, but it took a LONG time for us to gain the needed clearance... Finally, at about 2000 hrs, we eased her through, the Metz antenna just ticking some cables... Surprisingly, that seemed about as low as the water was gonna go, so we came within inches of having to head back down the Cape Fear, and out around Frying Pan... That would have really pissed me off... (grin) Today was gonna be a short day stopping in Wrightsville, and a nice dinner, but instead it's macaroni and cheese aboard here in Carolina Beach... But with the beautiful bit of sailing we had today, no complaints...

Sounds like we've got some weather coming Sat night/Sunday, we may keep on going tomorrow night to try to beat the forecast NE up to Coinjock, we shall see...

Good luck, enjoy that greenhouse... (grin)

Old 03-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Tomorrow makes two days in a row with winds at 15-20 with gusts to 35 and temps in the 30s. Wind chills teens and 20s. Dont fly back to MD to fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Might leapfrog you tomorrow, will be going outside from Wrightsville up to Beaufort Inlet...

Left Grand Dunes behind Myrtle Beach this morning, catching a great boost from the ebb out of Little River Inlet... Beautiful sail from Little River over to the Cape Fear River, couldn't have ordered anything better than the 20 knots out of the NW for that ride... Flew up the Cape Fear on the flood, our good fortune with the timing of the tide continues...

Until turning into Snow's Cut at Carolina Beach, that is...

Arrived there at the top of the tide around 1500, to find that sandblasting/painting was being done on the bridge... A scaffolding had reduced the clearance by a few feet, so we were gonna have to wait...

Tied up to the fender system, and walked to boat forward to eyeball it... Not even close, we were gonna have to wait for about a 3 foot drop...

Current was ripping at 3 knots or more from astern, but it took a LONG time for us to gain the needed clearance... Finally, at about 2000 hrs, we eased her through, the Metz antenna just ticking some cables... Surprisingly, that seemed about as low as the water was gonna go, so we came within inches of having to head back down the Cape Fear, and out around Frying Pan... That would have really pissed me off... (grin) Today was gonna be a short day stopping in Wrightsville, and a nice dinner, but instead it's macaroni and cheese aboard here in Carolina Beach... But with the beautiful bit of sailing we had today, no complaints...

Sounds like we've got some weather coming Sat night/Sunday, we may keep on going tomorrow night to try to beat the forecast NE up to Coinjock, we shall see...

Good luck, enjoy that greenhouse... (grin)

damn that looks close. How tall is your mast anyway?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-22-2013

Another brutally cold night - temperatures are expected to drop to the 20s again tonight, winds are screaming from the northeast, but expected to die down tonight and switch to the northwest. Damned it's cold. Oh well, just another 220 miles to Norfolk.

Gary
Old 03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
damn that looks close. How tall is your mast anyway?
Mast is 63', 64' to the top of the tricolor, 65' to the top of the whip antenna... Arrived in Morehead City at the top of the tide this evening, once again ticked the underside of the bridge over to Beaufort... WAY too close for comfort, I hate running a boat with the air draft this close on the Ditch...

Another beautiful day today, nice NW breeze about 15 upon leaving Masonboro Inlet, went light around midday, then filled in very nicely from the SSW for the last 20 miles or so into Beaufort Inlet... Cold, but a spectacular day on one of my favorite legs outside along the coast - other than a couple of Navy ships maneuvering off Camp Lejeune, never saw another soul out there...

Fantastic dinner at Floyd's 1921 adjacent to Morehead City Yacht Basin, has to be one of the finest restaurants along the entire length of the ICW... HIGHLY recommended, a special place...

Floyds 1921 Restaurant and Catering | Morehead City, North Carolina

Tomorrow night, dinner will likely be peanut butter and jelly served at anchor in the black hole at the bottom of the Alligator River... (grin)
Old 03-23-2013

Jon, looks like you passed me. Be safe.

Gary