Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Dinner tonight at the mouth of Adams Creek, NC, on the hook, grilled Kielbasa green beans, corn, fig newton for desert, and washed everything down with a green coconut margaretta. Weatherman is calling for 100 percent chance of rain tomorrow, winds northeast (right on the nose - as usual) at 10 to 20, temperatures in the upper 40s. Gonna be a nasty day, but I still hope to make at least 50 miles before nightfall. Just 187 more miles to Norfolk, VA, then up the Chesapeake for about 3 to 4 days, weather depending.

Cheers,

Gary
T37SOLARE likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Anchor went down behind Buck Island, about 10 miles south of Coinjock, at 0130 this morning... Beautiful ride across Albemarle Sound last night in a moderate SE, the sky clear and moon surprisingly bright, considering the weather to come... Wind was already up out of the NE before sunrise, so we were very lucky to beat it across the Sound... Quit early today, freezing rain and sleet made an early stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin a no-brainer, with the forecast blow tomorrow I'm not going beyond Hampton, anyway...

Just be glad you're not offshore, Gary... This "complex low", as NOAA is calling it, is a textbook example of why I believe this is the absolute worst time of the year to be anywhere in the vicinity of Hatteras...

Quote:

Gale Warning
Storm force winds expected Mon into Mon night

Baltimore Canyon To Hatteras Canyon Out To 36n 70w To 34n 71w-

Tonight
Winds becoming E to se 20 to 30 kt...then S of 36n increasing to SW 25 to 35 kt late. Seas building to 6 to 10 ft... highest SW. Rain with isolated tstms.

Mon
Winds shifting to W to NW throughout and increasing to 35 to 50 kt...highest NE late. Seas building to 9 to 16 ft...except E of 1000 FM to 16 to 23 ft. Isolated showers and tstms.

Mon Night
W of 1000 FM...NW winds 30 to 40 kt diminishing to 15 to 25 kt late. Seas 9 to 17 ft subsiding to 6 to 12 ft late... highest E. E of 1000 FM...W to NW winds 40 to 55 kt diminishing to 25 to 35 kt late...highest E. Seas 16 to 28 ft subsiding to 12 to 20 ft late...highest E. Isolated showers throughout.
Jon Skiff likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-24-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Annapolis is expecting 3-5 inches of snow out this.. you guys stay where you are and let it pass

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Annapolis is expecting 3-5 inches of snow out this.. you guys stay where you are and let it pass
They're calling for an inch of slush now. Figures we went or a shakedown ride on the Patapsco in Haleakula today. Forecast after Monday calls for a week of improving weather. Highs in the mid to upper 50s bough Easter
Jon Skiff likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

the weather channel must have updated their forecast for snow shower Virgil

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 03-25-2013

I'm holed up Belhaven, NC at River Forest Marina, which is essentially closed for the season. Temperature today never got much above 40, nasty ride for the past 50 miles, arrived just in time for a 50 knot blow, ice cold rain shower, and falling temperatures. Forecast for tomorrow isn't good, might end up spending another night here.

To top things off, the marina, which normally carries both gas and diesel fuel, doesn't have any gas and won't for at least another two weeks. The next closest place to purchase gasoline is 50 miles farther up the ICW.

Talked to my loving spouse this evening, she said they got 4 inches of snow at home, most of which was pretty wet. Should melt off by tomorrow with temperatures rising into the lower 50s. Here, we'll be lucky to see 40.

The 5-mile trip across the Pamilico River was pretty nasty, 5 to 7 footers on the beam. The Pungo River was a bit better, just 2 to 4 footers on the nose. That hot shower and green coconut margaretta were the best things that happened today.

Cheers,

Gary
Jon Skiff likes this.
Old 03-25-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Gary,

So, how was the enclosure today? A second to the hot shower and green coconut margaretta?

Stay warm and enjoy the "interesting" weather.

Down
Old 03-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

To top things off, the marina, which normally carries both gas and diesel fuel, doesn't have any gas and won't for at least another two weeks. The next closest place to purchase gasoline is 50 miles farther up the ICW.
Gary, you might consider moving on a few miles east to Dowry Creek Marina... Sadly, River Forest is really on it's last legs, pitiful end to a Waterway institution, to what used to be one of the most popular stops on the Ditch a couple of decades ago...

Dowry Creek MARINA :: Welcome

You'll be able to get fuel there... It's out of town, but they'll lend you a courtesy car if you need to run errands, go shopping, whatever...

Very friendly folks there, nice little spot, and you'll be very well protected from the NW... If you happen to get stuck there till Wednesday, they'll have a potluck get together of the small community of liveaboards there, and you'll be included... I had a delightful evening one Wednesday last December, one of those typical serendipitous surprises that travel on the ICW routinely serves up...

Good luck, enjoy that greenhouse... (grin)
Old 03-25-2013

The greenhouse was great today - just not as warm as usual because of the lack of sunshine. It did, however, keep the wind and spray at bay, which was a good thing.

Didn't know about Dowrey Creek Marina, but if I'm stuck, that sounds like a good option.

Thanks Jon,

Gary
Old 03-26-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary. I'm enjoying following the posts from you and Jon. Brings back lots of memories. I noticed on ActiveCaptain a new FREE town dock in Bellhaven. Was wondering if you saw it, and if you had any info on it.
Marc