Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Did you ask if you had to have insurance to go to the Bahamas.....or did you ask .....Do I have to have insurance to go to the Bahamas & please feel free to make assumptions about my situation & make judgments about things in my life that are none of your f$%king business .
That's right. It's none of your f$%king business unless he happens to hit your boat. If he asked if he needed insurance to drive a car, I'd make the same assumptions and judgements. Individualism and personal freedom are great things, as long as someone also assumes personal responsibility. If he has some moral issue against buying $300-500k worth of liability insurance, that's fine, as long as he has $300-500k in the bank ready to pay off on his own. Otherwise, he's saying he's ready to shirk his responsibilities.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by msmith10; 03-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly, I forget the exact amount but I know it is at least $600 for my 1981 28' S2 for FULL coverage. However, I have now let it lapse as she is out of the water and is now Bahamas registered. So, I wi8ll see what I can get when I put her back in.
My Insurance (BOATUS) stipulated I have her out of water during hurricane season although I could put her back in with reduced coverage. This was actually a good thing in Marsh HArbor because it meant my boat was first out of the water in June a nd they always had time to set her up properly. During hurricanes the past two years, the yard was filled with boats teh day before the storm that could not be properly secured and they suffered, mine did not suffer.
Old 03-08-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Gotta love these insurance threads. People respond to them that YOU need insurance in case you hit MY boat.

Sorry. I buy insurance for ME, not you. You hit my boat I'm covered. DONE.

The OP just wants to know if he needs it to go to the Bahamas. My guess is no, unless he wants to enter a marina.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 03-08-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Having had my boat hit by a thankfully insured boat

And paying a good bit of my tax dollar to remove a never ending supply of uninsured boats PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT DOES NOT HAPPEN because it pretty much happens everyday around here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well, before I get all p'd off about the totally incorrect assessments regarding the situation let me explain for those curious WHY I ask.
First off, I tried to get insurance already. Both from SeaWorthy who wanted an out-of-water survey and BoatUs which wanted over 1K annual. Why not haul the boat you ask? A few reasons. One, I bought her for 2900. True, while I have put 10K in to her and a dinghy I am tired of shelling out cash for this sort of thing. From having mainsails rip to chainplates break to centerboards snap in two I have had it all and I have fixed it right. Big time, big bucks. Now some insurance company is saying I need some guy to come survey the boat I rebuilt, KEEL UP PEOPLE, to say its OK to be insured for freaking liability? Well, they can shove that 8$ per foot survey because on principle and the fact law does not require it I am not getting it. You wanna come off your price BOATUS im all ears. I pay 700$ annual for my CAR and I drive that daily.
Okay, one pretty much sums it all up but you guys are all like I am some illegal alien for not wanting insurance. I dont want it. What the hell am I paying for? The only reasonable thing you can say is for other people or other peoples boats bc my self and my boat are my responsibility and my workmanship and my damn seamanship or lack thereof.
And so what if I did have an accident, which btw Ive grown up boating so im as likely as most of you or maybe less depending on the number of dock riders out there, to have any sort of accident based on anything. You people who HAVE $30,000 and more dollar boats, get insurance! I would. And when you do, it comes with uninsured boats insurance. So if some 1979 26'4" 3000$ sailboat does do you damage, its really not going to matter much.

The insurance is just one more limitation to people like me. Oh excuse me Denise for not just shelling out another grand for a survey haul out and ridiculous quote that ONLY COVERS ME TO THE SOUTHERN TIP OF THE ABACOS ANYWAY!!!!
I guess cruisers should only be allowed to cruise if they have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Obviously if I had an island packet insurance wouldnt be an issue bc obviously money isnt.
I have spent 10K plus buying cost in 2 yrs on this boat and im not staying at home another summmer because I couldnt afford insurance on my boat. If marinas wont take me fine, I will check ahead of time and plan my routes accordingly.
GO FORTH YE VAGABONDS TO THE SEAS AND FAIR WINDS AND HEED NOT THE WORDS OF THOSE WHO WISH TO KEEP YOU CHAINED
God provides me with my strength to work and brain to think and boat to sail. The money has been a blessing from my hard work and continued dedication. If I were lazy or cutting corners God would not provide thus. I need no other insurance... but would still get it if I owned a boat worth more than $20000. Just sayin God.. Know I love you an all.
I will see you all in the Bahamas this summer.
sailguy26 and opc11 like this.
Old 03-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Gotta love these insurance threads. People respond to them that YOU need insurance in case you hit MY boat.

Sorry. I buy insurance for ME, not you. You hit my boat I'm covered. DONE.

The OP just wants to know if he needs it to go to the Bahamas. My guess is no, unless he wants to enter a marina.
Bam!, nail on the head.
RichH likes this.
Old 03-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
That's right. It's none of your f$%king business unless he happens to hit your boat. If he asked if he needed insurance to drive a car, I'd make the same assumptions and judgements. Individualism and personal freedom are great things, as long as someone also assumes personal responsibility. If he has some moral issue against buying $300-500k worth of liability insurance, that's fine, as long as he has $300-500k in the bank ready to pay off on his own. Otherwise, he's saying he's ready to shirk his responsibilities.
Shirking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Atlas Shrugg im shirking over here. Jeez. No respect I tells ya.
Old 03-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Best of luck to you HL.... but... had you surveyed (or even had a knowledgeable acquaintance along) pre purchase you may have been dissuaded from buying a boat that was 'cheap' but clearly in need of some serious upgrading, the full extent of which you may have been more aware.. perhaps to the point of passing on this one, and with luck buying one for $6-8K that didn't break and need all that work.. leaving you with $$ left over for 'nice to haves' (like 3rd party insurance).

Anyhow I do wish you luck, and I hope you don't drag anchor into some lawyer with a $60K paint job along the way... just sayin'

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-08-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

All you folks with such cheap insurance please tell your agents to call me. I pay over $500 annually for liability only on my 40' trimaran. I wouldn't have that if I didn't want to go into a stateside marina occasionally.
$500 buys a lot of cruising supplies.
I guess I could always stay in my house curled up in my bathtub to avoid any potential liability.
Oh, I forgot, my boat is my house. I guess all you lawyers better not anchor too close to me.
Old 03-09-2013
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Well.....that was fun...lmao
davidpm likes this.