SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is insurance required to enter Bahamas? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97382-insurance-required-enter-bahamas.html)

Harborless 03-08-2013 08:27 AM

Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

I have searched high and low and found no black and white answer.
Is insurance required to go sailing in the bahamas? My boat is 27' and 1979... I dont want insurance.
Can I go without?
Yes, I know that some marinas will not left me use their facilities, but I want to know if I can clear customs.

chucklesR 03-08-2013 08:41 AM

re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Insurance is not a requirement.
BoatUS estimates that over 60 percent of boat owners have no insurance.

davidpm 03-08-2013 08:44 AM

Harborless
You will get better answers quicker if the title of your thread includes your question or at least part of it.

deniseO30 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

No Insurance...... From what side of your brain are you rationalizing this?

MarkofSeaLife 03-08-2013 10:37 AM

No insurance needed.
You don't want to go into the marinas here anyway all too expensive.

Agree that you need to do better thread titles if you want the better people of the forum to answer you.

Faster 03-08-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Harbourless... fixed title for you. Looks like you got your answer though!

Frogwatch 03-08-2013 11:03 AM

No insurance? That's nuts. Even with an ancient boat of no value you are liable for stuff you do, personally liable. Say you take someone aboard and they fall and get hurt getting aboard. Guess what, you get sued. Does your homeowners insurance cover this? Probably not.
Unfortunately, I have found no company willing to issue liability only insurance for the Bahamas so I have had to get full coverage. For my 28' boat, it is about $700/yr because she has little value.

msmith10 03-08-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 999983)
No insurance? That's nuts. Even with an ancient boat of no value you are liable for stuff you do, personally liable. Say you take someone aboard and they fall and get hurt getting aboard. Guess what, you get sued.

Aside from the issue of getting sued, which some people don't care about because they have no assets, there is the issue of taking responsibility for your own actions. You need to have the ability to recompense others for their damages due to your own mistakes or mishaps. To not be able to do so is irresponsible and implies that you just don't give a d*mn about the other guy.

waterwks4me 03-08-2013 12:35 PM

Frogwatch, are you really paying $700 a year for boat insurance on a 28' boat. Even if your boat is brand new I am surprised you are paying that much a year for a boat that size. Just a suggestion: you may want to shop around. You might find it cheaper with the same coverage elsewhere.

kjango 03-08-2013 12:49 PM

Did you ask if you had to have insurance to go to the Bahamas.....or did you ask .....Do I have to have insurance to go to the Bahamas & please feel free to make assumptions about my situation & make judgments about things in my life that are none of your f$%king business .