SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Jacksonville, FL area

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I''m planning to visit the Jax area with my Spindrift-19 in tow. I''m looking to vacation and check out the area as a place to live in a year. Any things to consider or avoid?

Thanks, Phil (Deja Vu)

#2 ·
We visited Jacksonville last winter while heading to the Keys. It is the largest city in area in the US and is really spread out.
The river runs through downtown and has very fast currents. It is primarily a commercial port and the Navy has a significant presence there.

Most recreational boating facilities and beaches are at the mouth of the river, 20 miles from downtown Jacksonville.

#4 ·
I just moved from Mayport, FL right down the road from Jacksonville. I have a Hunter 23 and liked to sail up by Naval Air Station Jacksonville. Nice wide part of the ST Johns river. If your military, you can launch on base at the marina. If not, there are lots of launching areas. The Rudder Club is a neat little boat club in that area that is worth checking out. Lots to do in central FL. Downtown area by the river is nice (Riverwalk). Also, the minor league baseball team, Jacksonville Suns, should be playing in their new station this time of year. Some great state parks in the area too. The beach down in Mayport area is a nice escape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.