Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Raft Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not a pro on laft rafts, but these folks are : Life Raft and Survival Equipment: Life Rafts, EPIRBS, PFDs, Safety Equipment

Give them a call, they are very helpful. I understand that self-righting is a bit of a fairy tale. Easy to right is more accurate.

We own a couple of different Winslows and I like them. You can customize for your needs. If you really want a raft that you can survive in for a week, you're going to literally need a dolly to move it. 100 lbs for sure, maybe more. You'll need a double insulated floor, ramp access, upgraded sea anchors, windows so you don't too sick, etc. Most important, you can't rely on retrieving your ditchbag, so you'll need a week's supplies pre-packed inside the raft, which they will do.
Thanks for the link. I will look into later.
When I said I need to survive a week. I didn't mean I need to be fed three time a day for a week. I just need to have enough water to survive (not going into a severe dehydration state). I am sure I can live without food for a week or more, so an energy bar every other day will be good.

To prevent getting loss, I am thinking to use a messenger bag or a small backpack for ditch bag.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
second Minnie's opinion of LRSE. They have a bunch of rafts inflated and being serviced in their big back room. Really brings home what's what. On drive home kept saying to myself - ?What have I got myself into?
They are in Connecticut, not too far to pay them a visit.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Survival needs add up faster than you would think. How about batteries that will run your flashlights, GPS, radio, etc for a week. Raft repair supplies. You will need a minum of 8 oz of drinking water per person per day for survival and you will still feel continually very thirsty. 4 people in the raft and you need a quart per day or a gallon and a half for a week. That's 12 lbs alone and it would nearly kill you having that little. Multiply it by 4 to really have enough. Your probably going to want an emergency desalinator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
They are in Connecticut, not too far to pay them a visit.
Tiverton, RI. Just north of Newport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2013

rigalio is on a distinguished road

Is there some Places to buy life raft in Montreal region or else cause I want to
Old 03-09-2013

rigalio is on a distinguished road

Sorry I want to buy one I find allot of raft in europe not mutch in canada
Old 03-09-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigalio View Post
Sorry I want to buy one I find allot of raft in europe not mutch in canada
You can get them in Canada but you are not going to do well on price because there is little competition and the companies you deal with are mainly selling to ships and have little interest in pursuing the recreational market. Best prices are likely to be at major boat shows like Annapolis. Note that companies like Defender offer boat show prices online too.
Old 03-09-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Give them a call, they are very helpful. I understand that self-righting is a bit of a fairy tale. Easy to right is more accurate.

Survival needs add up faster than you would think. How about batteries that will run your flashlights, GPS, radio, etc for a week. Raft repair supplies. You will need a minum of 8 oz of drinking water per person per day for survival and you will still feel continually very thirsty. 4 people in the raft and you need a quart per day or a gallon and a half for a week. That's 12 lbs alone and it would nearly kill you having that little. Multiply it by 4 to really have enough. Your probably going to want an emergency desalinator.
After taking the safety at sea course and played with the life raft, I walked away with a feeling that the current design need lot of improvement, just poor engineering, inadequate testing and rush to market. Unfortunately, without much competition, this will continue.

1. If they make the canopy top with a spherical dome, supported by the light weight alum7000 post (camping tent). It will right itself every time.

2. The life raft should be user serviceable, the gas cartridge can be replaced without repacking.

Yeah, I have thought about having a RO system for emergency use. They are getting cheaper now.

Fine Print:
Old 03-09-2013

Speedycat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here are the parameters:
1. You don't want to rent one just like you never lease a car, You like to keep it until you die
2. Your likely cruising areas are Northern Atlantic from Boston to Europe and from N30 to S30.
3. Self righting is important since you are likely to be alone or with just one crew.
4. You need and are willing to survive for a week in Hell before rescue. Toilet paper is not essential to you.

If you are spend the money to get a life raft now, which one will you buy? Please also share links for good reviews on Life Rafts, particular from Practical sailors. I have their subscription, but I can't recall one from them.
Avon makes nice ones!
Old 03-09-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However, since I don't have a yacht like everyone here,

>>snip<<

I thought i would buy a life raft and leave it on their boat when sailing off shore;

>>snip<<

When I have my own boat in a few years, The raft is still there.
Rafts deteriorate and require recertification. Your plan equates to throwing money away in the the least effective manner. Buy a PLB or even an EPIRB (even though they register to boats rather than individuals it is still better than a raft) and bring them with you on OPB's. A raft without a boat is a waste of $$$ (some argue quite persuasively that a raft with a boat is still a waste).

-M