Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Life Raft Purchase

I've tried to find my invoice from Winslow two years ago on my recert. It was in the neighborhood of $1,000. I know I have it somewhere, but its hiding. They detailed everything they did and the supplies they replaced and it was two pages long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Reminds me of the bottle of aspirin I used up last week.

Marked 99c/100 pills, from a national chain, and when I looked around for a new bottle, the local chains all wanted more like six bucks, even for generics. Amazon would sell me 300 for $5, I just don't need that many and my friends have their own. And then there was WalMart, where I found another bottle of 100 for 99c.

Of course a hospital would bill Medicare about two fifty for one aspirin.

Just doesn't seem right, does it? Supply and demand should only go so far, for half the price of a new raft, they should at least include a couple of vinyl sex dolls or some decent whiskey so folks could party in there, shouldn't they? You know, like Crackerjacks, put on a label "Surprise inside!".

One can only wonder if a lot of repack places have been held liable in court, because you just KNOW their excuse is going to be "well, our insurance costs so much...".

I know, it is what it is. and that's still obscene unless it included a full dozen SOLAS parachute flares, along with the whiskey.
Old 03-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This being a basic safety issue, you would think there would be gouging laws against this kind of abuse. Commercial boats, being required to bend over the barrel, get the worst of it. I wonder who in government has the brother-in-law in the raft servicing business? You can bet politics are ultimately behind this kind of legalized theft.
Old 03-13-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Jeez, smurph. the last thing I want is laws against gouging. Leave the gouging alone, and give me one a those lucrative permits to gouge! I want my piece of the pie!
smurphny likes this.
Old 03-14-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

An alternative idea for the OP might be to buy one of these one man liferafts. Not up to the specifications you wanted, but it comes in a wearable harness, or packed in a very small bag and as a travelling crew, it would be easy to pack along. You could even bring one along for the captain too and still be way ahead on the price of a "real" raft.

They come in 2 year service interval "loose pack" models that you could play around with and become familiar with. They also have hermetically sealed 5 year service interval models.

Just a different idea that might supplement/suit your purpose.
Switlik - ISPLR Single Person Life Raft - Tech Specs

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-14-2013

Nice pool float but not terriby suitable as a marine life raft. I'd rather buy a gumby suit if I was going to hang out that way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.