Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013

aeaston is on a distinguished road
Re: Magma marine grill recommendations

I also like the magma kettle grill. Bought mine last year, and have found that it's never blown out. (Had an old log style force 10 before this one, and it wasn't so good in the wind.)

My experience with cooking anything else other than typical BBQ fare on it has been mixed. Definitely need to be able to fit the lid down closed over any pot or pan you put on there in order to get any decent amount of heat transferred to it. I was able to do popcorn though, that was quite yummy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
My propane locker is just big enough for my LP tank, so that's not an option. It also won't fit a T-attachment, so I'm not going to try to tie into the tank for the grill. However, since my boat runs off an outboard, there's a vented locker for the the external gas tank, with plenty of room to store a couple LP camping bottles there.

I've used the LP bottles for many years on our camping grills, and never had one leak on me. But I always allow them to warm to ambient temperature before removing them. All the cases I know of leakers were people who allowed ice to build up around the top, and once disconnected the check valve did not engage properly.
I also have used lp bottles for the 58 years of my life and have seen them leak and have found empty bottles in my propane locker which were removed properly and were not iced when I removed them. While I mostly trust them when new, I do not trust them to reseat after partial use.

Common sense says to practice safety when unscrewing and placing them in a container where they can vent harmlessly into the air vs collecting in a low unvented area on the boat. Thats close to foolproof as you can get. That's all I was saying. Relying on waiting for them to warm up to seat properly is not foolproof IMHO and creates a false sense of security.

For those who have the extra propane tank or can establish a valved "T" , you will have to purchase a hose with a low pressure ( step down) adaptor and knob and remove the Venturi tube on the Magma Grill for it to work.

MAGMA Control Valves for Magma Grills at West Marine

Marine Express USA Boat Parts, Engine Parts, Boat Accessories , ,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

That's the one I have and I use it every other day more or less for the last 4 years. The only drawbacks are I do occasionally feed the marine life by mistake as the lid inhibits turning of the meat over the grill. I lost the medallion from a large pork chop by picking it up by the rind to flip it over.(the wife said "Oh you dropped yours" and didn't share). Cleaning is a pain if you leave it for any length of time. Try keeping it to less fatty cuts especially if cooking pork or lamb. When it gets too dirty, I remove it and take it to the beach where it can be pulled down and given a scrub with sand and salt water (inside only). the S/S grill grate has lasted over 4 year, but will need replacing soon. The first thing to go was the peiso lighter, not the electronic bit, but the tang on the gas burner, for three years I have just used the stove lighter. As the gas burner has now had it, I will put the new one on at the next clean, I should have push button lighting again for a while. The defuser plate and ring will rust and break down over time, and as in my case need replacing Next clean. With regular use the outer shine fades to a golden sheen and needs to brought back to is shinny glory with a good metal polish which no one can see because I keep the canvas cover on.

If converting to LPG just buy the adapter and attache to the venturi tube where the old gas bottle one connected.
chef2sail likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 03-09-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Takefive , We have had all the marine brands over the years and the one you are looking at is the only one that stays lit in virtually any weather conditions.
Criticisms previously noted are valid but to me the "staying lit" is the most important feature.
Old 03-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
..For those who have the extra propane tank or can establish a valved "T" , you will have to purchase a hose with a low pressure ( step down) adaptor and knob and remove the Venturi tube on the Magma Grill for it to work. ....
Well, over the winter I finally purchased a hose to run from my spare onboard propane tank to the grill. I will still have at least one small tank in the locker, as I think running this hose is going to be less than perfect. The propane locker is going to need to be left open when grilling. No good way to drill a hole.

I have an old Force 10, that looks like a long tube. I actually love the thing. You can turn it easily on the rail so the hinged lid faces forward and blocks the wind. Isn't that where the wind is always coming from at anchor? One side is very hot and the other is cooler. No idea if it was engineered that way, but its obviously helpful.

I'm not following the step down regulator need. The grill itself has what appears to be a regulator that the 1 lb tank screws into and has the Hi/Med/Lo knob on it. Will that not sufficiently regulate the propane from the 20 lb tank? Maybe the Magmas are different.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I got my answer from the Force 10 website. They must be different from Magmas.

Quote:
If you would like to use your BBQ with your existing propane system on board,
we or your local marine dealer have fittings and hoses available. There is now a
simple ‘quick-disconnect’ adapter which will fit any propane tank (see Diagram
4). It allows you to "T" right at the tank and still have the security of the solenoid
switch and manual shut-off valve for your stove down below. The Adapter, cat.
no. 8310, comes complete with a sealing cap nut. No tools are required for
installation. Remember to also order the special 6’ or 8’ hose, cat. no. 8316 or

CAUTION Force 10 BBQ’s must be hooked up to your propane system ahead of
your stove or heater regulator as the barbeque has its own regulator
(high/med/low) valve assembly. DO NOT DOUBLE REGULATE!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2013

On the Magma grill you unscrew the the grill regulator leaving the "venturi tube" open. It has a notch in it. You screw one end of the control valve ( step down pressure regulator and also controls th flame), permanently into on end of the hose assembly to the tank. The other fitting on the control valve fits into the Venturi Valve opening and clicks locked with the notch.

We too have to leave the propane hatch open when grilling. The hose is neatly coiled hanging on a line holder in the compartment. We never had to worry about running out of fuel in mid meal and it was a real convience not carrying the bombs.

MAGMA Control Valves for Magma Grills at West Marine

The new Magma grills ( ours in 2 years old) is a real improvement from the older kind in terms of staying lit and we no longer have to worry about the damn lid clanging of the side of the boat.

For added culinary experience we have a small contasiner of applle wood chips on board. I usually soak a few in H20 about 10 minutes before lighting the grill and then throw them on the ceramaic brickets. Imparts a great flavor to fish/ meats and veggies.

I cant tell you how many of my friends have these grills and love them as we do and how many of them done have the brickets in them. They help control the flames, and direct heat, they almost interlock when placing them in, and the prevent the orafices of the burner assembly from getting clogged and dirty as quickly.

last October on our last anchorage of the season we made smores on the grill with the people we rafted with and HOt apple cider with Applejack. Was a memorable eving.
JimMcGee likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Chef, good tip on the briquettes (sp?), as they do tend to run hot.

Rick, we have an older model that's basically what you're looking at. When we bought the boat I just replaced the one that was on the rail as it was beyond disgusting. The problem with the rail mount is the threaded end and handle are clothing grabbers. After one too many scratched legs I changed over to a rod holder mount last year and it was a BIG improvement.

I'm actually thinking about replacing ours with the better model that has the igniter and double walled construction. The outside of the little sucker can get really hot and it would be nice to press a button to light it.

Cooking: Switch to sausage patties or get cheap foil pie plates at $1 a pack at the dollar store. Make up foil packets with fish, spices, veggies and a little white wine. Simple and tasty. Tortillas with a little sauce and cheese are simple thin crust pizzas and don't forget fresh grilled corn on the cobb in season.

Nah, I'm not jonesing for the boat too much...

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-09-2013

We cook a lot of steak fish on the grill ( Mahi/ Tuna/ Sword). Salm on we sometimes use a thin cedar plank

Good tip on the pie plates or just warp us eveything in the foil.

If you cut your veggies plan style ( so they dntt fall hough the cracks they ar excellent ( Zucinn, Yellow Squash. Red pepers, Asparargus, eggplant,) We have some metal skewers on the boat for mashmellows.

Wingnwing turned us on to these neat grilling veggie baskets we use for little red potatoes, brussel sprouts, grilled green beans or snap peas
Jim Beam Kabob Grilling Baskets - 4 Pack at HSN.com

Sometimes we just grill stiff with our dinner to make the next days lunch. grilled chilled veggies on pita or a tortilla shell is no harder to make than a lunchmeat sandwhich while out sailing

Then fruit. try Golden pineaplles, Peach halves or pear halves sprinke wih gorgonzola cheese make a great dessert or even salad accompanyment.
JimMcGee likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-09-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I have some extra Char-Diamonds sitting around somewhere. I'll just have to go through 30 years worth of stuff in the basement to find them.

I hadn't realized that there are two models available. The one I posted before is less expensive, with no piezo lighter. There is also a costlier one with piezo starter and double walled construction at a certain area to keep the exterior cooler. I can do without the piezo starter - they always break anyway due to corrosion at the burner. But the double-walled construction would be both safer and probably more even heating.

So I'd appreciate knowing which one you guys have, so we can compare and contrast the benefits of each. Here's the other more expensive one:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)