Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Magma marine grill recommendations

I spent three weekend using it without the bricketttes. Flare ups, and it cooked way to hot. I found the little octagonal magna ones and put them in. Problems all resolved.

Without using the brickettes in a grill you might as well cook on a campfire or use a blowtorch...no drippings or flavors added...just pure flame

Never had a problem keeping the Magna lit so it doesnt seem to choke off the airflow
Dont see any soot.... Its still shiny new or as SimonV after a year gets a seasoned golden glow .... it hangs off my stern so CO2 does worry me...but may be those donwnwind better,,,penalty they pay for anchoring to close..CO and wonderful smells.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Nothing better than the smell of someone's BBQ in the anchorage. Time is coming soon!!

For whatever it's worth, we take our Force 10 off the rail when not in use. I don't like it in the way. It sits on a single post in the middle of the unit. It can be turned 360 when installed and, therefore, angled anyway one pleases. However, this bracket is not strong enough to secure the unit underway. If you want to keep our unit on permanently, you need a bracket that holds it in position, parallel with the pushpit. Not an ideal position anyway.

Because we R&R it at each use, brickettes would be very cumbersome. Though, I do agree with the value of having them, if you can. On the other hand, our unit seems to vaporize drippings quite well. Perhaps it is the shape, which is precisely round. It is like putting a can on its side and cutting it open lengthwise. There is surprisingly very little that ever remains in the drip pan. Burgers are a staple, but we love to BBQ lamb chops, so we get plenty of drippings.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-10-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

A couple of people have commented on the price of the grills, but when you think about how much you use your grill and how many years a good one lasts it's really not a bad deal.

Funny thing is when I pull BBQ'd chicken and fresh grilled corn off the grill I forget all about the price

This is one boat buy that is definitely worth the money.
chef2sail, Minnewaska and Silvio like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
A couple of people have commented on the price of the grills, but when you think about how much you use your grill and how many years a good one lasts it's really not a bad deal.

Funny thing is when I pull BBQ'd chicken and fresh grilled corn off the grill I forget all about the price

This is one boat buy that is definitely worth the money.
Isn't that the truth!!!!!

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-10-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Hey where's CD.

This conversation is definitely in his wheelhouse!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Hey where's CD.

This conversation is definitely in his wheelhouse!

True CD is the professional grilled and Chef Wanna be (ducking)He probably has three varieties on his boat. He must be cruising or he'd have chimed in.

The real question is what did Sequtiar have. Now there as couple who knew and enjoyed the food and wine.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-10-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

We purchased a Newport Infrared last spring. Love it! Easy ignition. Stays lit. No preheat. Cooks evenly. Picked it up at Defenders warehouse sale at a price that was more palatable.
Jim
Old 03-10-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Always going against the grain.

Dickenson generally makes good products...so tell me how good this one is????
Its never let us down. Bought it at the Annapolis boat show about 5 years ago and we've used it on both boats as well as taking it ashore to use on the picnic tables at our marinas since the last couple have had rules against grilling on the boat in the slip.

I'd say the biggest issue with this grill is maintaining the heat at the desired temp without it getting too hot, but its not a big deal so long as you keep an eye on it.

We got the small one that was a better suited on our 32' boat, but it fits behind the companionway stairs nicely on the new boat and there have only been a couple of occasions when I really could have used the extra grill real estate of the large model and I'd have to fight the storage issue all the time. With a MKI Catalina we don't have a ton of stern rail to leave it out all the time.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2013

Randypa28 is on a distinguished road

Rail mounted grill is the way to go. I picked up our Magma off of ebay, had to be a little patient but saved $$$.
Old 03-12-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

We've had the Magma Marine 2 rail mount for 3 or 4 years now and I love it. Construction seems quality to me. Piezo still works. The grill can't complain, because it's parked under a Sunbrella cover when not in use. I haven't rolled any food into the drink, but it's only a matter of time. And I really should tie a tether to that regulator--totally shocked that that item hasn't gone kerplunk yet!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright