Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Magma marine grill recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randypa28 View Post
Rail mounted grill is the way to go. I picked up our Magma off of ebay, had to be a little patient but saved $$$.
Thanks for the tip! I have purchased many times from ebay, but often forget to check there for boat stuff. I looked there right after reading your message and found an open-box but brand new Magma A10-207 (the higher end kettle that many here have recommended) for $91 including the rail mount system:

I used a sniping service to place my bid at the last second. Some late bids pushed the price up to $148 (plus $30 shipping), but $178 all-in cost was a fantastic deal considering it includes the $46 mounting bracket! It actually comes pretty close to Dave's boat show price of $125 for the grill alone.

That's two more things that I can cross off my list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Bought the same thing. Responding after reading the first two posts. The mount slips and there is no rim, so I too have lost food over the side. At least it saved me enough to eat that night.

I would NOT buy the model or mount in the first post again. In fact, I want to lose what I have. It just wasn't/isn't worth the trouble. It's a pain in the A$$ to light, clean. Too much money.

Never again.
Old 03-13-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have owned many kinds and shapes of marine bbq. i have owned them in bottle gas version and charcoal version. i now own 4 of the things. magma, force, brinkmann..and another-

my favorite model of these bbq gadgets is weber smokey joe, with a tile under it for insulation for the deck. does what i want when i want it to, and is cheap, as i was finding them in marine swap meets for 2.50 us dollars. extravagant, but perfect.

accompanying tile also helps when this is placed onto a table saw on the dock .... (hay, the legs are short and i needed it to have some height...)

what is wrong with those beautiful ss bbqs for boats????? all money, no function...first time you light it up, is marred for life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 03-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Yup, I spent more money on the BBQ, cover and mount, and adapter afterwards, where I've could have bought a killler backyard BBQ, with overhead heating racks, maybe a side burner, storage space below.

I am golng to make this little Magma work, or use it in a ceremony as some sort of sacrifice. Couple of mods in mind.
Old 03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Yup, I spent more money on the BBQ, cover and mount, and adapter afterwards, where I've could have bought a killler backyard BBQ, with overhead heating racks, maybe a side burner, storage space below.

I am golng to make this little Magma work, or use it in a ceremony as some sort of sacrifice. Couple of mods in mind.
FWIW, I've never paid more than $100 for a full size backyard gas grill. So this marine stuff is shocking. But I tried my $20 Char Broil camping grill on the boat last year and wasn't happy with how it worked. On a 25' boat I have very limited deck space, so I need to either do without or get one that can hang off the stern. After 3 years of doing without, I decided to finally pull the trigger. At least I minimized the hit to my wallet by buying off ebay. During the summer months it will be nice to move the heat source out of the cabin and into the cockpit.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-18-2013

The Magma 2 kettle that I bought off ebay arrived today. Although the outer box had been opened (as the seller disclosed in his listing) the parts box was still stapled shut, and the rail mount completely sealed. This thing is truly brand new, and I'm thrilled with the bargain that I got. I'll head down to the boat to install it as soon as I get a snowless day.

...and I also found my long-lost Char-Diamonds, so my grill will be up to Dave's standards! Now I just need to learn to cook.

Old 03-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The Magma 2 kettle that I bought off ebay arrived today. Although the outer box had been opened (as the seller disclosed in his listing) the parts box was still stapled shut, and the rail mount completely sealed. This thing is truly brand new, and I'm thrilled with the bargain that I got. I'll head down to the boat to install it as soon as I get a snowless day.

...and I also found my long-lost Char-Diamonds, so my grill will be up to Dave's standards! Now I just need to learn to cook.
ill send recipies

Youll be happy with it. If your gonna do it....do it right.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A boat BBQ recipe thread?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

I had the older Magma kettle grille with the tethered lid for a number of years before upgrading to the party size Magma kettle grille with the hinged lid. The newer one is a better size--even for just two of us--but particularly if you are cooking for more folks. The hinged lid is a nice feature, but doesn't provide the option of a moveable wind break, as others have noted. The newer grille also seems to stay lit better than the older one in a breeze. The piezoelectric igniter is a nice feature, but you need to back it up with one of those butane lighters that look like a cigarette lighter with an extended snout. The ones that have a windproof design are preferred.

BTW, they all work best with the lid down. The closed lid also works to thwart aggressive sea gulls that can appear from nowhere when you turn your back on an open grille. If you are new to grilling out on your boat, beware that sea gulls don't care whether the meat is cooked or not.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 04-14-2013

We inaugurated our new Magma grill this evening. We didn't even go sailing - we just cooked right in the slip. (Our marina doesn't mention this in its list of prohibitions, and even if it's an unwritten rule, we're still in pre-season with very few people around to complain.) We started easy with cheeseburgers.

My goal is to get the grill as crappy looking as possible to make it less attractive to thieves.

I did put some ceramic diamonds in the grill, though most of them are under the stainless domes, so not sure how much good they do.

We're hoping to sail upriver to a nearby cove tomorrow or Wednesday to cook out again.

This pic shows how/where I installed the grill on my boat:

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-14-2013 at 09:32 PM.