Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Magma marine grill recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We inaugurated our new Magma grill this evening. We didn't even go sailing - we just cooked right in the slip. (Our marina doesn't mention this in its list of prohibitions, and even if it's an unwritten rule, we're still in pre-season with very few people around to complain.) We started easy with cheeseburgers.

My goal is to get the grill as crappy looking as possible to make it less attractive to thieves.

I did put some ceramic diamonds in the grill, though most of them are under the stainless domes, so not sure how much good they do.

We're hoping to sail upriver to a nearby cove tomorrow or Wednesday to cook out again.

We can't use grills in our slips as they don't want our accident to burn down the other bots or the club which we all are part owners of.

We have an entire level of bricketts between the dome burner under the actual grill grate. Not sure what you meant.

As I stated before the purpose of bricketts in restaurant cooking is that the fat from meats drips down onto the bricketts which creates a "flavored basting smoke" imparting extra flavor and "smoke" flavor to the meat. Cooking without it on an open flame can be done just how our forefathers Cro- Magnom man did in front his cave. It still tastes ok as anything cooked that way does, but why settle for mediocrity when you dont have to without much trouble

It also is important to use good proteins as well as the proper grilling techniques. To some this is eother to much trouble or they not have the ability to taste the difference. To some it isn't worth the time. To some food is when you are hungry and a necessity as opposed to savoring. It is a basic difference I have Lund with Americans vs Many in the rest of he world, where food is more than a drive thru, processed meal, or freezer to micro wave item.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We can't use grills in our slips as they don't want our accident to burn down the other bots or the club which we all are part owners of.

We have an entire level of bricketts between the dome burner under the actual grill grate. Not sure what you meant.

As I stated before the purpose of bricketts in restaurant cooking is that the fat from meats drips down onto the bricketts which creates a "flavored basting smoke" imparting extra flavor and "smoke" flavor to the meat. Cooking without it on an open flame can be done just how our forefathers Cro- Magnom man did in front his cave. It still tastes ok as anything cooked that way does, but why settle for mediocrity when you dont have to without much trouble

It also is important to use good proteins as well as the proper grilling techniques. To some this is eother to much trouble or they not have the ability to taste the difference. To some it isn't worth the time. To some food is when you are hungry and a necessity as opposed to savoring. It is a basic difference I have Lund with Americans vs Many in the rest of he world, where food is more than a drive thru, processed meal, or freezer to micro wave item.

Dave
Maybe they have changed the design since you bought yours, but my dome comes up so high that it touches the bottom of the grate in the center. In order to install the grate, I need to press down on it while I rotate to engage the notches around the perimeter. The clearance between the dome and the grate is so tight that I cannot fit any of the bricks on top, except around the outer edge. So I have bricks around the edges and bare metal at the center.

It could be argued that the bare metal does the same thing as the ceramic, because when the grease drips on the hot metal it gets vaporized back onto the protein just as it would if it hit the ceramic.

But I'm not interested in turning this into an argument. I have bricks where they fit, and no amount of arguing will create space for them to go where they won't fit.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
......It could be argued that the bare metal does the same thing as the ceramic, because when the grease drips on the hot metal it gets vaporized back onto the protein just as it would if it hit the ceramic.....
That must be what's happening with my Force 10. I only have a metal tent over the burner. I can't use brickettes, as I remove it after every use. There are almost no drippings in the drip pan, ever. They must be vaporized.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 04-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That must be what's happening with my Force 10. I only have a metal tent over the burner. I can't use brickettes, as I remove it after every use. There are almost no drippings in the drip pan, ever. They must be vaporized.
Yep you guys must be right. I'll send your new discoveries to the restaurant equipment manufactures tomorrow
JoeLena likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-14-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I have the same Magma and mounting bracket - the grill, which is probably at least 10 years old, it now a rust bucket, at least inside. Ironically, everything other than the lighter still works. The grill never comes off the stern rail, and most of the time the bomb stays attached to the grill until it runs out of gas.

I used mine extensively while in Marathon Key, Florida, cooked lots of fresh, Polish Kielbasa, Italian sausages, BBQ chicken and ribs, fish, and a few fillet mignons. Because the boat was docked in the marina canal, right in front of the office and recreation room, the smell often attracted attention from the folks inside. More often than not I had to throw some extras on the grill - lots of unexpected guests for dinner. I frequently grilled hot dogs and burgers for lunch, which beat the Hell out of eating luncheon meats and cheese sandwiches. After about a month at the marina, you would be amazed at the number of people that stopped by and asked "What's for lunch today?"

My grill is now to the point where it's probably unsafe to use, therefore, a new one will soon be ordered. I never had a problem with sausages or hotdogs rolling out, even in rough weather, but I guess that's always a possibility. Also, I only had the fire blow out once, and that was on a day when the winds were whipping along at 25 knots and I was on a mooring ball.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 04-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

as i have 4 bbbq thingies, i am deciding which if any to keep--so i think i will keep the weber knock off, and the force 10 oblong twist o flexed ss one..lol..but i will decide in golfo de california during a chubasco. i want it to remain lit ...
so i will have 2 bbqs made for marine use--should thrill all of you who only buy that which is designated for marine use---one gas, one charcoal...both rail mount...first sailor in golfo de california i see who wants either wins prize...they are both magma brand, stainless steel.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward