Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Magma marine grill recommendations

I think I'm finally going to break down and buy a gas grill for my boat. We used a camping grill on the deck once last year, and ended up with a couple rust spots that had to be scrubbed off. We're hoping to do more anchoring this year (found a nice cove an hour away) and several weekends and maybe even a couple weeks of cruising on our own boat! So we'll definitely need a grill to keep the cooking heat out of the cabin.

I'm basically thinking of this one:

...with this mount going back off the port transom seat:

Are there any issues with this selection? Any other brands or models that might be better for my situation?

This seems like a straightforward purchase, but as we all know, NOTHING is straightforward when it comes to boats!

I'm planning to buy this during the Defender warehouse sale. Any other suggestions where/when I might get the best price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Magma marine grill recommendations

I have an older version but basically the same. Only issue is your sausages can roll off and into the brine if there is any wave action since there is not much of a rim. Other than that it does what you'd expect, gets hot, cooks food
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I have an older version but basically the same. Only issue is your sausages can roll off and into the brine if there is any wave action since there is not much of a rim. Other than that it does what you'd expect, gets hot, cooks food
Note to self: find square sausages.

Note that the new model has a hinged lid, which avoids the need for a cable attachment for the lid. However, some comments on Amazon indicate difficult cleaning (have to take it apart), and maybe some flimsy construction. Anyone with experience with this newer model?

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-08-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Nice thing about the older one with the cable is you can move the lid around to act as a bit of a windbreak. Don't know if the new ones rotate or anything clever.

Old 03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Nice thing about the older one with the cable is you can move the lid around to act as a bit of a windbreak. Don't know if the new ones rotate or anything clever.
I don't think it rotates, but I think I remember them claiming that the new burner design lights and stays lit better in heavy winds than it did before. Not sure how much of that is just "marketing fluffery."

Old 03-08-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I upgraded from the round model to the "Cabo" rectangular job.

The best thing about the round one is that you can cook a small frozen pizza on it.
Worst thing is that it cooks HOT. Not much in the area of temperature control and seemed useless with the lid off in all but even the most windless days.

The rectangular Cabo model seems to allow for better temperature control and the hinged lid is a double edged sword. Easier to use but won't shield the wind when it's blowing vs. you can angle the round lit in any direction.

But, I see the new round one has a hinged lid.... hmmmm that could go either way....
Old 03-08-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

We bought the same grill and used it all last season. I can't compare it to other grills since the only other grill I've used is the older version with the loose lid. I prefer the newer, attached lid. Grill works fine and I'm happy with it. You can also use it as a burner if you want to heat up a kettle of water or a pot of soup. Keeps the heat out of the boat.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

That's the exact grill we have and we use it all time. We have that mount also. Make sure your grill cover is trapped underneath the grill so it doesn't collect water. Also Rob you said it runs hot. I'll bet you don't have the ceramic stones in it to even the heat out.it alo let's te fat drip on the hot stones bathing the meat in he flavored steam impart inning te BBQ flavor.

Do not store the 1lb bombs inside your boat. The needles sometimes don't set and the propane could leak into you bilge. We have two dedicated propane lockers with drains to the outside located under the h elm sets. We don't use the bombs and plumb our spare propane nk to th grill with a detachable hose and step down pressure valve.

If you don't have a dedicated propane locker you can buy a bag to attach to a transom. I have seem people make capped PVC pipe as a holder on he rail also...vented underneath of ourse.

We grill all the time veggies, fruit, fish, mets, golden pineapples, peaches etc. enjoy your grill.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2013

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

I bought a magma kettle style grill. It's well made. The double wall SS construction is really nice, compared to a typical small landlubber grill. It takes a bit longer to heat up than I expected.

If you buy a rail mount, do make sure you get the right size for your rails. I ventured a guess that my rails were of a common enough size that the default (i.e. the one West Marine carried in stock) mount would fit. It turned out to be a few mm small. It works, but could fit better.

If you use the small LPG canisters, consider where you will store them. They are notoriously leaky once breached. Fortunately, my propane locker has room for a second 10 lb tank I don't have, so I toss them in there.
Old 03-09-2013

My propane locker is just big enough for my LP tank, so that's not an option. It also won't fit a T-attachment, so I'm not going to try to tie into the tank for the grill. However, since my boat runs off an outboard, there's a vented locker for the the external gas tank, with plenty of room to store a couple LP camping bottles there.

I've used the LP bottles for many years on our camping grills, and never had one leak on me. But I always allow them to warm to ambient temperature before removing them. All the cases I know of leakers were people who allowed ice to build up around the top, and once disconnected the check valve did not engage properly.
JimMcGee likes this.