Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

Quote:
=RocketScience;1002556]:confused
[The only thing I'm shocked by is your extrapolation of my post

I never implied SailNetters were cruisers, or go offshore, or that WM had a poor business plan, or that they may even go out of business (did I miss any?).
Never thought of it as an extrapolation,,,just an interpretation
Well first of all you did bring up the offshore comment and my reply was that IMHO it wasnt relevant to most of the posters on Sailnet .
Here is what you posted
Quote:
Head offshore for a stint. You'll learn to grow uber patient with even the simplest of supplies.
Quote:
I posed a couple questions to the group. You too can answer them if you like
I guess we all gotta ask ourselves one simple question; if WM was to indeed go out of business, would we internet savvy SailNetters really miss it?

Short of the rare, nuclear occasion, are there truly that many instances where you need to "have it" or "touch it," that day?....honestly?

Head offshore for a stint. You'll learn to grow uber patient with even the simplest of supplies.

Quote:
Short of the rare, nuclear occasion, are there truly that many instances where you need to "have it" or "touch it," that day?....honestly?
Kind of a snarky comment to those who use WM wouldnt you say?
See by itself without the nuclear or honestly comment maybe you could get by with claiming you were not expressing an opinion, but those words obviously meant from your intent your were saying:

" Honestly guys, exccept in the rare instances of a once in a lifetime occasion ( nuclear event as you put it), like really are your sure ( honestly as you put it) are there really truly instances where you need to have it or touch it that day?

The answer as I explained it carefully is yes...and yes...and that is the West Marine business plan and message. Need it now and want to touch the product and look at it

I aprreciate the fact I can hold the item in my hand and see how it is made compared to other brands. I also appreciate the fact Like in Minnies case where he underestimated the amount of something he was using he could go oput and find it close by and finish his project in time. No WM he might be SOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

What's the issue here? We all know we can find anything cheaper on the net. Most of us stop at WM because it's convenient, timely and we can window shop.
WM runs a solid store and i appreciate that they are there when i need them. WM is out to make a profit, just like any company. If you don't like it shop somewhere else. It's not their responsibility to give you a "discount". I would assume that their business model is to be competitive locally as well as nationally. It works. If it doesn't work they will go out of business.
Welcome to capitalism!
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-14-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Chef2 sail, you are correct
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Sometimes when a person is making wisecracks to get under your skin, the best way to get back at him is to not let him get under your skin.

I don't think anyone here questions WM's right to charge whatever they please. As for the wisdom of any pricing policy, that's where everyone gets to be an armchair expert and offer advice that's worth....basically nothing. But it's the Internet, so what do you expect?
chef2sail likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sometimes when a person is making wisecracks to get under your skin, the best way to get back at him is to not let him get under your skin.

I don't think anyone here questions WM's right to charge whatever they please. As for the wisdom of any pricing policy, that's where everyone gets to be an armchair expert and offer advice that's worth....basically nothing. But it's the Internet, so what do you expect?
Yep you are right about the wisecracks, I say treat others as you are treated by them after all it is only the internet

I am glad I have stock in WM and have for years. Its one of the few stocks which held its own in the recession years. Their business model is a good one.
They are a savy company and if this new policy huirts them they will adjust as they are for the most part a customer service oriented company.

As you know I am the first to recommend using internet, Defender Genuinedeals etc sites to save money when you can as I have contacted you on sales etc. In todays internet age it just makes sense when you have the time not to throw your money away. Many times I have seen similar prices at WM. Like I said previously to those lambasting them for ending their price match, I was always suprised they did it with non brick and mortor stores, but I used it to bargain for cheaper things there.

I for one hope they continue their success and keep people employed. They are really the last big chain in the marine industry surviving. With the high priced stuff on their shelves it has to be a difficult inventory evaluation process for them as their expenditures to keep amble product on their shelves must be challenging. Also because of the seasonal nature
of over one half of their stores.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2013

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience
The only thing I'm shocked by is your extrapolation of my post

I never implied SailNetters were cruisers, or go offshore, or that WM had a poor business plan, or that they may even go out of business (did I miss any?).
Never thought of it as an extrapolation,,,just an interpretation
Well first of all you did bring up the offshore comment and my reply was that IMHO it wasnt relevant to most of the posters on Sailnet .
Here is what you posted

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I posed a couple questions to the group. You too can answer them if you like I guess we all gotta ask ourselves one simple question; if WM was to indeed go out of business, would we internet savvy SailNetters really miss it?

Quote:
Quote:
Kind of a snarky comment to those who use WM wouldnt you say?
See by itself without the nuclear or honestly comment maybe you could get by with claiming you were not expressing an opinion, but those words obviously meant from your intent your were saying:

" Honestly guys, exccept in the rare instances of a once in a lifetime occasion ( nuclear event as you put it), like really are your sure ( honestly as you put it) are there really truly instances where you need to have it or touch it that day?

The answer as I explained it carefully is yes...and yes...and that is the West Marine business plan and message. Need it now and want to touch the product and look at it

I aprreciate the fact I can hold the item in my hand and see how it is made compared to other brands. I also appreciate the fact Like in Minnies case where he underestimated the amount of something he was using he could go oput and find it close by and finish his project in time. No WM he might be SOL
Dude, is there a hole in the O-Zone layer over Maryland we didn't hear about??? I asked a couple simple questions to the group, and you appear to be the only one getting all ruffled up about it.

My comments were not meant to be "snarky", and I apologize if they came across that way. I truly would like to know (West Marine aside); what are the items that a brick and mortar store have that a person truly needs THAT day? No snarkiness about that question, I really am curious, because this leads to the last comment in my first post, which inferred the inability to acquire (that day) even the simplest of supplies while offshore. In other words, if it seams sailors can put up with the three or four weeks it takes to ship a simple thru hull to Atuona, French Polynesia while stranded there, does it really kill us to wait here?
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Dude, is there a hole in the O-Zone layer over Maryland we didn't hear about??? I asked a couple simple questions to the group, and you appear to be the only one getting all ruffled up about it.

My comments were not meant to be "snarky", and I apologize if they came across that way. I truly would like to know (West Marine aside); what are the items that a brick and mortar store have that a person truly needs THAT day? No snarkiness about that question, I really am curious, because this leads to the last comment in my first post, which inferred the inability to acquire (that day) even the simplest of supplies while offshore. In other words, if it seams sailors can put up with the three or four weeks it takes to ship a simple thru hull to Atuona, French Polynesia while stranded there, does it really kill us to wait here?
Quote:
My comments were not meant to be "snarky", and I apologize if they came across that way
This is disengenuous or you wouldnt say this
Quote:
Dude, is there a hole in the O-Zone layer over Maryland we didn't hear about???
No one is getting "ruffled" just treating you as you treated me...dude

But thats the point isnt it, why wait needlessly if you dont have to. I am not in Atuona, French Polynesia, I am in Maryland.

I would bet many of us still work and are not "cruising" with no real demands on our time. Maybe our ability to get the thing we need asaP will allow us to get more sailing in and get out on the water vs sip a Mai Tai on a beach in French Polynesia.

If I was a retired cruiser, sure it wouldnt make a difference maybe.

Maybe you could answer my question . My question is........why wait if you dont have to? How many people do you think are sailing on the Chesapeake in say April vs all of French Polynesia? and lastly what relevance does French Polyensia have with a WM topic?

Goes back to the original demographics. WM meets the need of the majority of the boating public in terms of availability of product as well as ease of purchase. If it didnt it would be out of buisiness.

Enough of saying the same old same old about this for me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
.......I really am curious, because this leads to the last comment in my first post, which inferred the inability to acquire (that day) even the simplest of supplies while offshore. In other words, if it seams sailors can put up with the three or four weeks it takes to ship a simple thru hull to Atuona, French Polynesia while stranded there, does it really kill us to wait here?
Unlike someone with months on their hands, while transiting an ocean, I have guests coming tomorrow or tomorrow will be the only nice day to sail on a given weekend. Then I have other responsibilities that cruiser in Atuona doesn't. Having inventory nearby is important.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Shipping to each and every household is also very inefficient and costly. It takes about 30 gallons of antifreeze to winterize our boat (3 heads, 4 shower sumps, 3 air conditioning units, washing machine, two engines, etc, etc).

The shipping cost on 5 cases of antifreeze is breathtaking. I grabbed it one year during WMs free shipping special. I'm sure they regretted it and I know I did after humping it around the house then to the marina. Ever since, I just drive down to WM and buy it the day I'm going to use it.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Shipping to each and every household is also very inefficient and costly. It takes about 30 gallons of antifreeze to winterize our boat (3 heads, 4 shower sumps, 3 air conditioning units, washing machine, two engines, etc, etc).

The shipping cost on 5 cases of antifreeze is breathtaking. I grabbed it one year during WMs free shipping special. I'm sure they regretted it and I know I did after humping it around the house then to the marina. Ever since, I just drive down to WM and buy it the day I'm going to use it.
Thats a lot of damn antifreeze

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-