Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Thats a lot of damn antifreeze
Don't I know it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

and i thought i used alot of anti-freeze......jeeesh....wow
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

11 gallons between the main and genset alone. Long exhaust run. And I only use -100 for that. Adds up.

Reminds me that I also got a nice rebate from WM this past year, which I dutifully clipped all the bar codes and mailed them in. Got a $50+ check in the mail a couple of months later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

30 gals?!?! There are rumored to be some shops that use 90-100+ 55 gal drums of AF in the fall when winterizing boats for clients! Now that is a lot of AF! But 30 gals for one boat is still a lot too!

Marty
Old 03-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I just spoke to Defender. Web/phone orders placed during the sale go onto "hold" status. People who visit the warehouse in person get first dibs on their available stock until the sale is over, then the web orders are filled from what's left after the sale. If they run out of the item it goes on backorder and is filled when it comes in. If it's a closeout item and they run out of it, it will not be reordered. For the 2013 sale, all shipping is suspended until March 25...
FYI, I decided that I can't wait until March 25 for Defender to ship my bottom paint. Since I was able to scrape the hull today, I could be painting by the end of the week if I get the paint quickly. I found my paint (Vivid White) at Jamestown for $195 with free shipping (vs. Defender's current price of $210 plus about $13 shipping). I don't know what Defender will have it for during their warehouse sale, but Jamestown's price was attractive enough to get me to pull the trigger on this.

FYI, Jamestown's free shipping special ends tomorrow.

After my ebay purchase of Magma grill and this paint purchase, there's not a whole lot left for me to buy from Defender - Magma grill cover, harness, tether, strobe. I'll see how Defender's prices are for the sale and consider purchasing then.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-17-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yes and right now. I just ran out of varnish, as I underestimated the amount I would need for my cockpit table. I need enough for at least one more coat and would like to do 3 more. With a min of 24 hours between coats, I don't want to wait for ground shipping. I launch one week from Monday!

I actually priced the varnish at all the online vendors and its within a couple of dollars. Some, by the way looked much cheaper, but they added the hazardous material fee at the checkout. Worse, to get it shipped by 2 day UPS was going to cost more than the varnish itself!!

I am going to stop in WM this weekend, when I'm commissioning and buy it off the shelf. I will pay absolutely whatever they are selling it for. No doubt.
Sorry, I missed this comment, and yeah, your scenario is a pretty dang good reason for needing it that day. I'd put this in my "nuclear" category.
Old 03-17-2013

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Maybe you could answer my question . My question is........why wait if you dont have to? How many people do you think are sailing on the Chesapeake in say April vs all of French Polynesia? and lastly what relevance does French Polynesia have with a WM topic?..
Hey, f you don't have to wait, great. I myself have indulged in the immediate gratification that the brick and mortar stores allow, but that doesn't mean it would'a been a "deal breaker" if they weren't available (unless I was varnishing ). This is really a convenience issue. Do I like the fact that we have the brick and mortar stores around? You bet. Do I think they're 100% necessary in this age of shopping at your finger tips, not at all. JMO

As far as the Atuona comment goes, it was an a_n_a_l_o_g_y.
Old 03-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, I decided that I can't wait until March 25 for Defender to ship my bottom paint. Since I was able to scrape the hull today, I could be painting by the end of the week if I get the paint quickly. I found my paint (Vivid White) at Jamestown for $195 with free shipping (vs. Defender's current price of $210 plus about $13 shipping). I don't know what Defender will have it for during their warehouse sale, but Jamestown's price was attractive enough to get me to pull the trigger on this.

FYI, Jamestown's free shipping special ends tomorrow.

After my ebay purchase of Magma grill and this paint purchase, there's not a whole lot left for me to buy from Defender - Magma grill cover, harness, tether, strobe. I'll see how Defender's prices are for the sale and consider purchasing then.
Sounds like good choices. Next year look for December specials. I have stuff I am ordering on March 21...we will see how long it takes to arrive.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner