Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

I've been putting together a list of all the things I want to order during the sale (including the bottom paint that I mentioned above). How is their shipping during the sale? Do they ship the day your order (or the day after), or do they have to wait until the sale is completely over before they start shipping?

I believe Defender waits until the end of the sale to ship everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I had a big order into Defender for the sale last year. It seemed to be slightly delayed. They did split up the order somewhat as there were a couple of items on short back-order due to the volume.
Old 03-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Defender has always been very prompt when shipping anything I've ordered. I don't know if they have a special policy for the Warehouse Sale, but I suspect it is so popular they just get backed up. People around New England drive for hours to actually attend. It must be an all hands on deck event for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-11-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I tend to spread my boat bucks around. Like Minne I like to browse isles and keep a running inventory of prices for things I want/need. I get boat stuff at the camping store, the old timey hardware store by the marina, a couple of marine stores and online.

But for a lot of boat stuff it's West Marine (and their catalog is fantastic). Their rewards gives dollars back and it pays to watch their sales. My wife likes browsing West for clothing and we end up buying a fair bit from them; and I have a set of Third Reef foulies that have worn well. I do stay away from any Walmart grade cheap Chinese crap they carry.

Why price match Defender? Well I agree with Rick to a point. If I see it in the store I want to buy it there. I'll even pay a little more without complaint for that convenience. But if the markup is 50% or 100% over a competitor I'm being gouged. Price match Defender and I'll buy it right now, you'll keep me as a customer. Force me to buy from Defender or Amazon and that will become my habit and you'll lose my purchases on all those other sales that would make money. It's a lesson every other brick & mortar store has learned. Just look at Best Buy.

Bottom line we'd all be worse off without West. I hope they don't don't shoot themselves in the foot. A talent too many companies possess.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-11-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...I don't know if they have a special policy for the Warehouse Sale, but I suspect it is so popular they just get backed up. People around New England drive for hours to actually attend. It must be an all hands on deck event for them.
That was exactly my concern. I am now hoping to launch on April 6, so my bottom paint will be time critical, and can't really have a delay. I think that I have heard in past years that they suspended shipping until the sale was over. I'll have to just call them and ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-12-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That was exactly my concern. I am now hoping to launch on April 6, so my bottom paint will be time critical, and can't really have a delay. I think that I have heard in past years that they suspended shipping until the sale was over. I'll have to just call them and ask.
The Defender warehouse sale is an incredible event. The number of extra staff, manufacturer's reps, added displays and all the customers that they pack in there has to be seen to be believed. There's no way I could imagine that they are handling mail orders on their usual schedule.

TakeFive has the right idea: call to verify when they will ship sale items.

For those who are lamenting the 50 mile policy of WM, you could always move to the greater New London area, where the real estate prices are still depressed, but the sailing venue is superb.

BTW, I understand that only the Mystic and Old Saybrook WM stores are price-matching Defender during their warehouse sale, even though there a couple of other WM stores within 50 miles.
Old 03-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
How much are you hoping to save, compared to JD, WM or amazon? Sounds like it isn't worth the stress.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-12-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How much are you hoping to save, compared to JD, WM or amazon? Sounds like it isn't worth the stress.
I have a long list that adds up to about $1000, so I could save a lot. But I'm not stressing. Once I've scraped and sanded my boat, I'll buy the paint somewhere else if I need it quickly. I'll buy the other stuff from Defender.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-12-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

In addition to the Warehouse Sale, Defender also has a Miami Boat Show sale in February and a Spring Commissioning sale in early March. I was able to beat the rush and lay in a lot of supplies at good prices through those sales. The March sale had a lot of bottom paint specials. Unfortunately that sale ended yesterday. Fawcett in Annapolis also has an annual President's Day sale in February that offers some very good pricing.

With those behind us, Jamestown is offering free shipping on orders over $50 this week and WM has several bottom paints on sale this week including Hydrocoat and many of their house brands. As others on this forum have pointed out, WM PCA Gold is rebranded Ultima SR 40. There's a lot of competition this time of year so it pays to shop around.
Old 03-12-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...One other serious advantage of our WM superstore is I just love killing time in there. I'm the kind of guy that likes browsing in a hardware store too. At least a couple of times per season, we're nearby and I have to wait for someone to do something. I just wander the isles and always find something I can't live without. No possible way to do that on the internet.
What do you call the time you spend on SailNet?...

Back on topic; I tried to do a bunch of price matches with Defender back in January at the Ft Myers WM. I walked in to WM with a printout of my defender shopping cart and found that WM was CHEAPER than Defender on a couple of things, and within a dollar on other items.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.