Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

I too like Defender, but it still pays to check around since sometimes their prices can be beat. I always found WM to be high priced and even their sale items may be found cheaper elsewhere. Years ago I did get a good price on a 45 lb Manson Supreme from WM and that was even without the price match.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Defender has always been very prompt when shipping anything I've ordered. I don't know if they have a special policy for the Warehouse Sale, but I suspect it is so popular they just get backed up. People around New England drive for hours to actually attend. It must be an all hands on deck event for them.
I just spoke to Defender. Web/phone orders placed during the sale go onto "hold" status. People who visit the warehouse in person get first dibs on their available stock until the sale is over, then the web orders are filled from what's left after the sale. If they run out of the item it goes on backorder and is filled when it comes in. If it's a closeout item and they run out of it, it will not be reordered. For the 2013 sale, all shipping is suspended until March 25.

I've been toying with the idea of riding up there for the weekend. My wife has always wanted to visit Mystic, and if it's nice weather it would be a good excuse to go up there. With all the manufacuturers' reps there, it might be worth the looooong ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The Defender warehouse sale is an incredible event. The number of extra staff, manufacturer's reps, added displays and all the customers that they pack in there has to be seen to be believed. There's no way I could imagine that they are handling mail orders on their usual schedule.

TakeFive has the right idea: call to verify when they will ship sale items.

For those who are lamenting the 50 mile policy of WM, you could always move to the greater New London area, where the real estate prices are still depressed, but the sailing venue is superb.

BTW, I understand that only the Mystic and Old Saybrook WM stores are price-matching Defender during their warehouse sale, even though there a couple of other WM stores within 50 miles.
It may just be worth a drive down there. I have never been to the store. They DO post notices about delays in shipping during the March sale.
Old 03-12-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I order from the Defender Warehouse Sale every year. Order is a bit slower than their normal super quick delivery, but usally arrives by Wednesday or so after the sale concludes. They are very good about bringing in extra stock for the sale and backorders seem to be no more common than at other times.
Old 03-12-2013
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There should be a law against certain types of packing material. Styrofoam peanuts and shredded paper should be outlawed by penalty of death. Those little inflatable balloons, bubble wrap or bunched paper are all acceptable. The first internet supplier than guarantees to ban peanuts and shreds gets all my business!!!!!!!!
FWIW, Many of those packing peanuts these days are made from a biodegradable starch product.....................
Tartan 37-C, #59

Last edited by ehmanta; 03-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I just spoke to Defender. Web/phone orders placed during the sale go onto "hold" status. People who visit the warehouse in person get first dibs on their available stock until the sale is over, then the web orders are filled from what's left after the sale. If they run out of the item it goes on backorder and is filled when it comes in. If it's a closeout item and they run out of it, it will not be reordered. For the 2013 sale, all shipping is suspended until March 25.

I've been toying with the idea of riding up there for the weekend. My wife has always wanted to visit Mystic, and if it's nice weather it would be a good excuse to go up there. With all the manufacuturers' reps there, it might be worth the looooong ride.
It will be like going to a toy store on Black Friday I heard. I have a friends who goes every year and says its crazy. I will work on my boat and let UPS do the work for me

Mystic is a great place to visit. You should at least have 6 hours put aside just to tour the Seaport. We are members of the Seaport Association and display their burgee proudly on our boat.

Last we stoppped was the summer of 2008 when they had begun work on the 1860s whaling ship the Charles Morgan. I cant wait to see the finished producted as its set to launch this summer.

It is one of our stops this year on our trip to the LI Sound, We are staying for two days and we stay in the Seaport for docking. Second day is free to members of a certain level. Its neat to roam the Seaport at night after they kick out all the day tourists. My wife insists we stop at Mystic Pizza when we stay there.

That is a long ride by car, you are right. Hope you have a three day weekend.
killarney_sailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-12-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

We had a WM employee try to argue with us as to why this was better for the customer - it was quite humorous actually. Unfortunately he had to deal with my boyfriend who likes to argue for the hell of it. In the end we managed to get him to still match a defender price.

Kelley
sailingchance.com
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 03-12-2013

pcarlson is on a distinguished road

I know that WM stopped giving a discount to the Coast Guard Auxiliary as well.
Old 03-12-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
It is one of our stops this year on our trip to the LI Sound, We are staying for two days and we stay in the Seaport for docking. Second day is free to members of a certain level. Its neat to roam the Seaport at night after they kick out all the day tourists. My wife insists we stop at Mystic Pizza when we stay there.
Last I checked, the Seaport has backed off some of their dockage benefits for members. Dockage is $4.50/ft until you get to the Mariner membership level, where it is $3.50/ft. You only get a $50. discount on the second night if you are at the Sustaining level or higher. You don't get a free night unless you are at the Benefactor or Champion level. Depending on the length of your boat and the length of your stay, it may be worth your while to upgrade your membership.

For the frugal sailor, there is a small transient anchorage just past the last federal channel marker (at the North end of the Seaport). It can fill up quickly and if you draw more than 5 ft, you may be out of luck. You would have to pay Seaport admission, unless your are a member and you wouldn't enjoy the ambience of docking at the Seaport itself.

Being a local (about 400 ft from the South end of Mystic Seaport) I have my opinion about Mystic Pizza. My favorite is Pizzetta, about a hundred yards due South of Mystic Pizza, on Water Street.
Old 03-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Last I checked, the Seaport has backed off some of their dockage benefits for members. Dockage is $4.50/ft until you get to the Mariner membership level, where it is $3.50/ft. You only get a $50. discount on the second night if you are at the Sustaining level or higher. You don't get a free night unless you are at the Benefactor or Champion level. Depending on the length of your boat and the length of your stay, it may be worth your while to upgrade your membership.

For the frugal sailor, there is a small transient anchorage just past the last federal channel marker (at the North end of the Seaport). It can fill up quickly and if you draw more than 5 ft, you may be out of luck. You would have to pay Seaport admission, unless your are a member and you wouldn't enjoy the ambience of docking at the Seaport itself.

Being a local (about 400 ft from the South end of Mystic Seaport) I have my opinion about Mystic Pizza. My favorite is Pizzetta, about a hundred yards due South of Mystic Pizza, on Water Street.
Thanks for the heads up...we already did the upgrade to the benefactor level. We spend most of our time anchoring out or mooring on our vacation of three weeks so we genrally take a slip when we spend a few days some place. We also liek supporting the Seaport. It is a great cause and a true representatuion of the old way of doing things. The volunteers there are always so very nice. We feel our money goes to a good cause there vs some administration.

I have looked at the cove before and wondered if we could anchor there. It looks small. We draw 4.5 so it is a possiblity I guess. The only other anchoring is out by Noank or Stonington.

Thanks for the heads up on the pizza. We dont actually eat there though my wife just like visiting it We go to a lobster place which is at the beginning of the winding channel back to the bridge ( the name escapes me).

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner