Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I have looked at the cove before and wondered if we could anchor there. It looks small. We draw 4.5 so it is a possiblity I guess. The only other anchoring is out by Noank or Stonington.

Thanks for the heads up on the pizza. We dont actually eat there though my wife just like visiting it We go to a lobster place which is at the beginning of the winding channel back to the bridge ( the name escapes me).
The Seaport could use your money. Despite some self-serving altruism, it is a worthy cause and deserves support. The bottom is generally muddy in the area north of the Seaport, FWIW, so you may not have a problem--should you settle into it at low tide.

There is a marked transient anchorage just across the channel from Mystic Shipyard and just south of Brewers. This is on your right as you pass Masons Island on the way to the RR bridge. Your draft is OK, but more than 5 ft and you might bump a soft bottom. This anchorage is about a mile from the Seaport. You don't have to resort to Noank or Stonington.

I can't tell from your description which "lobster house" you refer to--perhaps it's one of the local restaurants, like S&P Oyster House, nest to the Rt 1 bascule bridge. The classic lobster place along the Mystic River is Abbotts Lobster-in-the-Rough, with the striped red and white awning, right along the river just north of Noank Shipyard. You can tie up there while you are enjoying your lobster.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The Seaport could use your money. Despite some self-serving altruism, it is a worthy cause and deserves support. The bottom is generally muddy in the area north of the Seaport, FWIW, so you may not have a problem--should you settle into it at low tide.

There is a marked transient anchorage just across the channel from Mystic Shipyard and just south of Brewers. This is on your right as you pass Masons Island on the way to the RR bridge. Your draft is OK, but more than 5 ft and you might bump a soft bottom. This anchorage is about a mile from the Seaport. You don't have to resort to Noank or Stonington.

I can't tell from your description which "lobster house" you refer to--perhaps it's one of the local restaurants, like S&P Oyster House, nest to the Rt 1 bascule bridge. The classic lobster place along the Mystic River is Abbotts Lobster-in-the-Rough, with the striped red and white awning, right along the river just north of Noank Shipyard. You can tie up there while you are enjoying your lobster.

Thanks on the anchorage advice...Yep thats it Abbotts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-13-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quick, remind me why people shop at West Marine? Oh thats right, because they are rich or just enjoy paying double for parts.
Old 03-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Quick, remind me why people shop at West Marine? Oh thats right, because they are rich or just enjoy paying double for parts.
Glib comment '

Not always true...you can always compare prices
Sometimes you need something quickly- convienence
One of the Catalogues to use as a reasorce

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-13-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Glib comment '

Not always true...you can always compare prices
Sometimes you need something quickly- convienence
One of the Catalogues to use as a reasorce
You caught me. When the discount places and sailors exchange and internet does not meet muster, I drive a 1/4 mile to WM. WM is ALWAYS a LAST RESORT however. They way overcharge.
Old 03-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

A friend bought 2 gallons of Interlux Ultra yesterday with me at Fisheries:
* West Marine: $220/gallon
* Fisheries Supply retail: $190/gallon
* Defender: $177/gallon
* Fisheries Supply sailing club account: $165/gallon

This is typical of what I see and why I rarely go to WM in Seattle. Defender is rarely worth it either (except for electronics and during the upcoming sale). It's unfortunate that kellysails has had bad customer service at Fisheries, but that hasn't been my experience or the experience of most of my friends.

West Marine won't match Fisheries account pricing, only Fisheries retail pricing. Anyone in Seattle can get a sailing club account quite easily by belonging to a local sailing organization such as CWB or a racing club.
kellysails likes this.
Old 03-13-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmanta View Post
FWIW, Many of those packing peanuts these days are made from a biodegradable starch product.....................
French fries? Cheese Doodles?
Old 03-13-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

I shop at WM primarily for convenience, the occasional good sale or a few WM-branded products manufactured by name-brand manufacturers; e.g Pettit makes their PCA Gold bottom paint -- good stuff in my area and better than paints costing $50 more per gallon.

I like Jamestown, Defender, Hamilton Marine, Cajun Rope, and a several guys on Amazon. Some items are a lot cheaper elsewhere but hazardous materials shipping charges get pretty ridiculous for something like a gallon of MaryKate On/Off. Often, my local hardware store can get things in a day and beats WM everytime. I like supporting the small local guys, too. Everybody wins.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A friend bought 2 gallons of Interlux Ultra yesterday with me at Fisheries:
* West Marine: $220/gallon
* Fisheries Supply retail: $190/gallon
* Defender: $177/gallon
* Fisheries Supply sailing club account: $165/gallon

This is typical of what I see and why I rarely go to WM in Seattle. Defender is rarely worth it either (except for electronics and during the upcoming sale). It's unfortunate that kellysails has had bad customer service at Fisheries, but that hasn't been my experience or the experience of most of my friends.

West Marine won't match Fisheries account pricing, only Fisheries retail pricing. Anyone in Seattle can get a sailing club account quite easily by belonging to a local sailing organization such as CWB or a racing club.
I agree with Alex on the prices, very much what I see.
I have a fisheries account through my yacht broker, I get crazy prices like the sailing club discount. Nice to know if my broker gets tired of me on their account. Impossible to beat their prices, as previously stated, but not a fan of their service. If you know what you need, they are fantastic. And they are good with returns. I know Alex has a higher opinion of their service, just my experience.
Old 03-13-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road

I've spent countless dollars at the local West Marine, primarily through price-matching. When I discovered that this policy would, for all intents an purposes, end on March 1, I asked the manager what he thought about this new policy. He gave me the company line, saying that less than 3 percent of all retail sails nationally were through price-matching, but that because of this less than 3 percent group of people over $13 million dollars had been lost last year. I hastened to point out to him that WM didn't really lose $13 million in sales. They simply had $13 million in sales at competitors' prices. He muttered something about price points and then went on to say that after March 1 their retail prices would be coming down. This comeback really didn't make sense to me. Why would WM drop their retails prices for the oblivious 70percent, when they were worried about the 3 percent who were price matching? I told him that I liked spending my money locally at this WM, because it supported his job and the jobs of others in the store. I said, though, that unless the retail prices did in fact drop, then I would be sending my money northward to Defender. Have the prices dropped since March 1 . . . .? Nah. They've gone up.
JimMcGee and TakeFive like this.