SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   West Marine no longer matching prices... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97406-west-marine-no-longer-matching-prices.html)

TakeFive 03-08-2013 10:39 PM

West Marine no longer matching prices...

...quite as comprehensively as they used to.

They've rolled back their prior policy of matching Internet competitors, and now will only match brick-and-mortar stores located within 50 miles:

Quote:

If you find a lower price on an identical product (brand and model) currently in stock at a retail store located within 50 miles, West Marine will match that price (excluding shipping/handling charges or taxes) within 30 days of purchase, subject to the exclusions discussed below.
I learned this yesterday when I called to confirm that they have my chosen bottom paint in stock, and would match Defender's price. Unfortunately, they said no and informed me of the new policy effective March 1, 2013 (which I confirmed from their website).

It sounds like their new CEO is making some changes.

RobGallagher 03-08-2013 11:43 PM

Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

Defender is a brick and mortar store. I'll be shocked if they don't match them as the Westmarine's around here keep the Defender catalog behind the counter.

As far as I know, West has never matched all "internet" prices as anyone can show up with a print out of any crazy price.

I guess we shall see in the next couple of weeks...

TakeFive 03-09-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobGallagher (Post 1000275)
Defender is a brick and mortar store. I'll be shocked if they don't match them as the Westmarine's around here keep the Defender catalog behind the counter.

As far as I know, West has never matched all "internet" prices as anyone can show up with a print out of any crazy price.

I guess we shall see in the next couple of weeks...

No need to wait - just call your local store. If your local WM store is within 50 miles of Defender's store, they'll match it.

When I called the store in New Castle, DE, I specifically told them that I wanted them to match Defender's prices on bottom paint, and they told me that they would only match brick and mortar stores within a 50 mile radius. That's the same as the new policy posted on their website.

They matched all of Defender's prices last year. They did not keep a catalog behind the counter - they just pulled up Defender's website on the cash register.

chef2sail 03-09-2013 02:06 AM

Yep they all changed their policy March 1. The WM near us posted a sign in plate January about their change in policy

SimonV 03-09-2013 06:38 AM

You are all a bunch of whingers, Oh what we would do for a West Marine, brick and mortar stores with your US prices. I could refit my boat for half the cost. :D I guess I will just have to keep paying the postage for both WM and Defender.

Minnewaska 03-09-2013 06:47 AM

I don't blame WM. It was a nice feature, but they simple need to determine if they lose a couple of sales to Defender, whether they make it up with pricing on the rest. Its business, that's the way it works.

I try to buy things at my marina, just to keep the inventory there. That's ridiculously expensive, but equally convenient. When I need more, I drive over to the WM superstore. Kills me that Murphy insures the bin that has the one size I need is often empty, but the store has a ton of stuff and that's way more convenient than waiting for Defender to mail it to my house.

I also order from Defender, Jamestown Distributors and WM online. Not always due to price, but often due to which actually has what I'm looking for. More accurately, which has everything I'm looking for, so I don't have multiple orders to track and wait for. The distribution is pretty even over time.

PalmettoSailor 03-09-2013 07:15 AM

Yeah, the new WM policy might work if they get more comptetive on standard pricing otherwise I'll just always order from Defender or Jamestown Dist.

In fact I just did. I'm replacing my water heater and even with shipping, Defender is about $85 cheaper, plus I avoid taxes so another 5% there.

I felt like the old policy of having to ask for the best price was like "We rip the other guy off and pass the savings to you" so I was never really a fan.

jameswilson29 03-09-2013 07:22 AM

Fortunately, there is a West Marine not far from my home. I like its free ship to store policy, which makes its prices competitive to some of the other internet marine stores.

JimMcGee 03-09-2013 07:23 AM

The policy is truly odd as most brick and mortar retailers are putting in policies to match online pricing. Most are limiting it to a specific set of web sites who have legit pricing - ie. not loss leader pricing offset by outrageous shipping prices.

Make it a point of asking about price matching at WM. When they tell you no hang up the phone, leave the item on the counter. When managers start telling the regional reps people are walking out over this policy the policy will change.

Minnewaska 03-09-2013 08:52 AM

If sales go down, that won't necessarily change the policy. Enough sales have to go down to reduce the profit below the old discounting plan.

If leaving it on the counter is successful and revenue goes down to the point that they can't afford to have the brick and mortar, we all lose the convenience. Let's face it, the brick and mortar stores have more cost for a reason.

As far as saving the sales tax, I am certain that our federal government is going to close that loophole. I don't like it, because our tax policy is to take everything in every way we can think of, but I'm willing to bet on it happening.