Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013

Belisana is on a distinguished road
Re: Popularity of center cockpits?

We had one but it was older - a Peterson 44. We loved it. We didn't want a CC at first, but once we actually went aboard one, we changed our minds. It was a great layout. Good luck with your purchase.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I think it depends on your usage. If it was a long term cruiser/liveaboard with a family, that rear cabin can be a godsend with kids. Gives them a place of their "own" (or vice versa.. gives the parents a place of their own)

But for a couple... an aft cockpit would be better.

For more than a couple cruising.. say two couples.. perfect.

I like and dislike them. I like the cleverness of them.. but as I want to liveaboard in the near future... I want the biggest continous cabin I can get

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road

I think they look ugly on a small boat, but they can look just fine on a larger boat. They are practical when sailing with two couples because they can really give some privacy in the aft cabin. Sort of like a multihull, very separated spaces.

GTJ
Old 03-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree, I think the CC design is a great one. However, many people don't like the look of a CC. I've heard them called "wedding cakes". I've also seen a lot of comments that CC's don't really "work" until you're over 35 feet, because of the practicalities associated with where the stairs come in, galley layout, etc. I think that now that manufacturers have figured out how to squeeze aft cabins into aft cockpit boats, they've found a found a formula that meets a larger segment of the market, especially in the 27-35' range.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisana View Post
We had one but it was older - a Peterson 44. We loved it. We didn't want a CC at first, but once we actually went aboard one, we changed our minds. It was a great layout. Good luck with your purchase.
I had the same experience. I didn't really consider center cockpits originally. Other requirements drove me to at least look at a few. I simply couldn't find an aft cockpit boat that sailed as well and was as comfortable below.

Center cockpits may not be for everyone but to my surprise they are definitely for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I like and dislike them. I like the cleverness of them.. but as I want to liveaboard in the near future... I want the biggest continous cabin I can get
Why? I'm not challenging your conclusion, just curious on why that is what you want.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I had the same experience. I didn't really consider center cockpits originally. Other requirements drove me to at least look at a few. I simply couldn't find an aft cockpit boat that sailed as well and was as comfortable below.

Center cockpits may not be for everyone but to my surprise they are definitely for me.

Why? I'm not challenging your conclusion, just curious on why that is what you want.
It all depends how the manufacturer handles the design. Your Halberg Rassey 40 is a beautiful well thought out CC. A Bristol 45.5 is too. Even a Irwin 38 or Endevor 42 see to work well. However. Benneteau 36 CC or Hunter with its already elevated cockpit is a uncomfortable ride. In the Benetaus you feel you are almost sitting at the bow. It's almost like the cockpit was an afterthought.

Halbergs like yours are way different and of course you pay for the great design and craftsmanship. It's when the manufactures decides to take a regular aft cockpit and convert it to a CC to capture the space market it doesn't seem to work.

I myself have no preferences for or against CC in general, but it has to make sense on the individual boat. We have looked at both. It's funny the two we get torn between are the Mason 44 aft cockpit and the Bristol 45.5 CC.Course if I hit the lottery the Halberg Rassey comes into play.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-10-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I've had both center and aft cockpit boats. Sailed a center cockpit which was a 52 for 10 years. Nice. As indicated, great for separating master stateroom from guests, and room for a nice master/head aft. Now sailing a 38 aft cockpit, also nice, but certainly not as roomy.

That said, I think there is a minimum size boat on which center cockpit works for a number of reasons.

1. For spray, and comfort on deck it's better to drive from a position well aft of the bow. The shorter the boat, the closer you are to the pointy end, even closer when sitting in the center.

2. Wedding cake effect is amplified on a shorter boat. You gotta go up to get head room/engine room below. Also, this sitting high might be less comfortable in a sea way especially if your boat is short and light.

3. You need enough room below to really get the forward and aft cabins with enough size to be useful.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint a minimum size that works. Clearly Oysters, Little Harbor, Bristol, Hylas and others build or have built some centers that look great, and are world cruisers. Most of these are high 40's and up. IMHO they work best when they are relatively large. This is all mission dependent. YMMV.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-10-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

As a childless couple, we do not need the privacy of the rear cabin. With a large continous cabin that an Aft Cockpit offers, we can "enjoy" all the room in one sitting instead of having to get out, cross the cockpit, and moving to the rear cabin.

I would not pass up a nice CC if I found one at a good price. In that case, I would probably convert the rear cabin into the galley and eating area and open up the main cabin into a living area

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 03-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
As a childless couple, we do not need the privacy of the rear cabin. With a large continous cabin that an Aft Cockpit offers, we can "enjoy" all the room in one sitting instead of having to get out, cross the cockpit, and moving to the rear cabin.

I would not pass up a nice CC if I found one at a good price. In that case, I would probably convert the rear cabin into the galley and eating area and open up the main cabin into a living area
Most modern and many CC have inside passageway to aft cabins. Many times they have great storage workshops along it.

With a CC comes an engine in a different spot than aft cockpit also.

Hey never thought of the Galley in the aft. May be rough under way. Course if you can fit a Viking range in there with hood system....I am game.
davidpm and jimgo like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-10-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

For center cockpits, I am partial to the Hylas 46. Also look at Tayana, Morgan, and Passport. For a roomy Aft cockpit boat, the Catalina 47 is hard to beat as far as interior volume goes and a great cockpit. I like the visibility forward and the island queen stateroom that a CC offers. I just bought my second Cc the first was a 1990 Catalina/Morgan 44.