Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Popularity of center cockpits?

My buddy has an Irwin 44' and the passageway aft is below the cockpit. There is a benefit with the cc when it comes to docking I will admit. When you stand on the aft deck the sheer size of his boat is intimidating but from the cockpit it really isn't so daunting.
He is the one that hooked me into this hobby after sailing his boat...it was a little tough to weather but it was the first thing that I sailed since the small boats as a kid so I will chalk it up to inexperience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

When we were looking for our current boat for extended cruising we started by looking at aft cockpit boats in the 42 to 44 foot range. To get any sort of room in the aft cabin they all had enormous bridge decks - if you can call it a bridge deck if it is at deck level and six feet long. One, Hylas 42?, actually had two cockpits with a footwell forward where the companionway was. A Swan 43 had an enormous number of steps (9 or 10) from the deck to the interior after you left the cockpit and went forward several feet. Can't imagine doing that routinely on a passage at night when it is honking. This was just a deal breaker and it was on some really nice boats. A CC makes sense in the 37 to 50 foot range if you want a really nice aft cabin.

BTW, some older Moodys in the 34' range have done a remarkable job of building a CC of this size that does not look like a wedding cake.
Old 03-10-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

For a cruiser, Center Cockpits reign supreme.
Two things I learned while sailing catamaran's- you can't see the boat while you are sailing it, and everyone at the raft up comes to your boat because it's simply got more room.

Seriously, what's not to like:

seafrontiersman and olddog60 like this.
Old 03-10-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

Ok, what about this looks like a wedding cake? gonna get wet under anything but nasty conditions? Pooped, not easily, and I sleep like a baby. I forgot stand up engine room.
Attached Thumbnails
Popularity of center cockpits?-2_exterior_2.jpg   Popularity of center cockpits?-6_exterior_6.jpg   Popularity of center cockpits?-19_main_cabin_1.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog60 View Post
Ok, what about this looks like a wedding cake? gonna get wet under anything but nasty conditions? Pooped, not easily, and I sleep like a baby. I forgot stand up engine room.
Center of motion is higher. That factors in in comfort in the seaway.Not as much an issue on larger boats.

Whats with the lexan in the hull are those really windows?

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-10-2013

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger

My wife and I found our CC 42 Passage and live aboard full time we would not let her go and have been already offered more than we paid for her a couple of times. Greast boat to live on and cruise aboard.
Old 03-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
C/C doesn't generally work as well for boarding from a sugar scoop, A/C interiors feel bigger than C/C layouts - less corridor space.
and C/C's typically have more freeboard than an A/C, which could make maneuvering into a slip more exciting in the C/C when the wind pipes up.

[EDIT] Although I gotta say that I like the looks of the S/V Chuckles.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Center of motion is higher. That factors in in comfort in the seaway.Not as much an issue on larger boats.

Whats with the lexan in the hull are those really windows?

dave
The cockpit is deep IMO. I believe this puts me on the level of most aft cockpits. In some cases lower. If not it is real close. Either way I see little if any difference in comfort level. When standing I can barely see over the Hard Dodger. Take a look at my avatar it is deep ~4 ft.

Yes those are fixed windows. Not a great idea for some, there is no history of any problems.
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog60 View Post
The cockpit is deep IMO. I believe this puts me on the level of most aft cockpits. In some cases lower. If not it is real close. .

That is interesting claim. Must be an optical illusion. Would be interesting to measure where you cockpit seats are in realtionship to the water and compare. Maybe I have been fooled all these years.

Ive never got the feeling those in a center cockpit were istting down like in a tank peering over a bulkhead. Your height over the sole in the cockpit is no less than the height in an aft cabin vessel. The 36 CC Bene is in the slip right next to me. His cockpit is substantially higher. The 45.5 Bristol in our club is a few down for me...same thing. S/V Auspicious beautiful CC Halberg Rassey was docked beside me in a slip once. His cockpit was definately elevated from my aft cockpit. His boat is an example of a finly designed CC at 40 ft. Isnt that the advantage when docking,,,better sight lines because you are not only in the center, but elevated?

A Passanger can stand under it. Many aft cabins dont have the same room. It is the inherent advantage of the CC...the expansive rear cabin because the bridge and cockpit are not above it. The CC cockpit is above something, galley, salon, etc and you arent stooping under it

I like a properly designed CC like I said not a converted CC from an aft cabin set up.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That is interesting claim. Must be an optical illusion. Would be interesting to measure where you cockpit seats are in realtionship to the water and compare. Maybe I have been fooled all these years.

Ive never got the feeling those in a center cockpit were istting down like in a tank peering over a bulkhead. Your height over the sole in the cockpit is no less than the height in an aft cabin vessel. The 36 CC Bene is in the slip right next to me. His cockpit is substantially higher. The 45.5 Bristol in our club is a few down for me...same thing. S/V Auspicious beautiful CC Halberg Rassey was docked beside me in a slip once. His cockpit was definately elevated from my aft cockpit. His boat is an example of a finly designed CC at 40 ft. Isnt that the advantage when docking,,,better sight lines because you are not only in the center, but elevated?

A Passanger can stand under it. Many aft cabins dont have the same room. It is the inherent advantage of the CC...the expansive rear cabin because the bridge and cockpit are not above it. The CC cockpit is above something, galley, salon, etc and you arent stooping under it

I like a properly designed CC like I said not a converted CC from an aft cabin set up.
I am sure I don't know or have seen as many boats as most on this site. That being said I am higher than a Cal 40 next to me and about even with a sugar scoop 46 Hunter in front of me.

Looking at pics of the HR 40cc I think it is about the same as my Bene. My Hot tub as some call it is deeper than you might think. The cockpit/tub sits over the engine room.

Motion comfort has not been a issue for me and the admiral and that was what started this conversation.

Fair Winds,
Tom