Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Popularity of center cockpits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog60 View Post
I am sure I don't know or have seen as many boats as most on this site. That being said I am higher than a Cal 40 next to me and about even with a sugar scoop 46 Hunter in front of me.

Looking at pics of the HR 40cc I think it is about the same as my Bene. My Hot tub as some call it is deeper than you might think. The cockpit/tub sits over the engine room.

Motion comfort has not been a issue for me and the admiral and that was what started this conversation.

Fair Winds,
Tom
Gottcha...if it works for you thats cool.

You did say you could stand upright in your engine room though so I assumed the deck above was also the same as the other. Do you have special drains for the cockpit since it sets so deep,

Comparing to a Hunter in height, the Hunters all have elevated aft cockpits as most over the 38 have queen size berths aft although you can stand up all the way back. That actually supports my thinking as the Hunter rear cockpits are definately higher than most aft cockpits.

I am not abject to a CC I like the roominess of them. Most have two heads which I dont need , but I could convert one for storage. We have to decide which bets fit us a a couple, do we want the huge berth or more room in the salon. Its a matter of where we spend most of our time when below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Dave, you can have both a big salon and a nice aft berth.

Sure, my cockpit is higher than a aft cockpit, and I'm a lot drier because of it. Motion comfort is only a factor in a rolling side to side sea which is easily fixed by a slight change of course to either take the sea more on the nose, or put some more wind/heel on the boat to firm it up.

I'd have to guess, but I think my cockpit from floor to coaming is about 3.5 feet deep, the center well/floor is over the engine compartment. On the starboard side the passage way to the aft cabin is 'under' the coaming, full 6'3" tall. On the port side that area is used for the aft head.

I think it's nice to have two heads, one for us, and one for guests/wet storage.

Here's the view on mine from the salon looking out the hatch. Notice how low it is

Notice I don' t have an engine "compartment" - the engine is under the steps where the cabinet is. The top of the hatch is about shoulder height on me - making it easy to pass stuff up to the cockpit.
eherlihy, olddog60 and misfits like this.
Old 03-11-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

For what we used our old boat for - day cruises and an occasional overnight - the aft cockpit was a better layout for us. Center cockpits on anything smaller than 40 ft felt a little cramped - just my personal opinion, I'm sure many will disagree or find exceptions.

If we were living aboard, though, the aft berth of a CC would be a huge bonus. But for now, we'll take a larger cockpit to boat ratio.

Old 03-11-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Chuckles,

How about a picture showing the view belowdeck looking forward?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Dave, you can have both a big salon and a nice aft berth.

Sure, my cockpit is higher than a aft cockpit, and I'm a lot drier because of it. Motion comfort is only a factor in a rolling side to side sea which is easily fixed by a slight change of course to either take the sea more on the nose, or put some more wind/heel on the boat to firm it up.

I'd have to guess, but I think my cockpit from floor to coaming is about 3.5 feet deep, the center well/floor is over the engine compartment. On the starboard side the passage way to the aft cabin is 'under' the coaming, full 6'3" tall. On the port side that area is used for the aft head.

I think it's nice to have two heads, one for us, and one for guests/wet storage.

Here's the view on mine from the salon looking out the hatch. Notice how low it is

Notice I don' t have an engine "compartment" - the engine is under the steps where the cabinet is. The top of the hatch is about shoulder height on me - making it easy to pass stuff up to the cockpit.
Yours is one of the few CC under 38 I like. Designed that way from the beginning. Perfect for cruising or liveaboard. Remember I am not against the design...just that its applied haphazzardly in some applications

If your boat is to be for cruising a second head is a waste of space. I would rather have the addition storage space, but if my next boat had the two, I would turn the second into a pantry and storage. Besides How many times do you and guests use the head at the same time? A well designed boat with one head will have a seperate shower compartment for a wet locker and the head would be located close to the companionway steps.

No boat has every feature perfect ( well rarely). Its a compromise.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Nah Dave, it's more about I don't quests going through my bedroom to get to the bathroom, that's why it's nice to have an alternative.

Remember, it's a home (or will be).
Old 03-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

We have 2.5 bathrooms in my home. With a family of 4, it is surprising how often all the bathrooms are full. My wife and I rented a 1 bathroom apartment years ago, and again, it was surprising how often we "competed" for use of the bathroom. If you are going to live aboard, 2 heads makes a lot of sense to me, unless you are alone.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Nah Dave, it's more about I don't quests going through my bedroom to get to the bathroom, that's why it's nice to have an alternative.

Gottcha...your one head is an insuite not designed to allow entry from the salon I assume.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-11-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
We have 2.5 bathrooms in my home. With a family of 4, it is surprising how often all the bathrooms are full. My wife and I rented a 1 bathroom apartment years ago, and again, it was surprising how often we "competed" for use of the bathroom. If you are going to live aboard, 2 heads makes a lot of sense to me, unless you are alone.
A one bathroom apartment, that is small!

I think a couple should not have issues with one head. keep in mind it is a boat, not a house. We grew accustomed to our space and luxury in the house, the boat is more simple. I believe life should be as simple as possible. Of curse in a case like chucks with the second head only accessible from the aft state room, then it makes more sense to keep it. A boat head is so much smaller that people generally spend less time there, so there is not so much competition.

Last edited by miatapaul; 03-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:

Gottcha...your one head is an insuite not designed to allow entry from the salon I assume.

I guess what we look for may be different.

When we do go cruising for months only my wife will be aboard. I am looking for what is going to be the majority usage of the boat which is that. The few times we have company guess they will share our head and shower. I am looking for our comfort and usage mostly not someone who spends a day or two with us. Oour boat is outfitted for us....not others

Everything I have seen and read and experience of friends is that when cruising space aboard is a premium, especially storage and living space. To me if having an extra head means i have less salon space or less storage space, it isnt necessary. Its all a compromise as you only have a finite space. If a CC takes away from my salon space....I dont like it. The CC
we like dont.

I look at how we use our house and try and imagine we will use our boat the same. We spend most of our time in our family room/ On the boat that is either the cockpit or the salon. We spend very little time in the bathroom except to releive ourselves and shower. We actually spend very little time awake in our bedroom. So to us while we like to have a comfortable bed...it doesnt have to rival the salon. The salon is where we live.

I dont need the added expense of dual heads, dual mascerators, dual holding tanks ( another waste of space) dual head hoses, dual shower pumps etc. Id rather have an extra 36 gallon water tank....than a 36 gallon sh^t tank. All those things right there equal a nice solar array or a watermaker. Both which make life easier for a cruiser. My funds arent limitless. I would rather have things I need, than the just in case items.

There is no right answer here , just the ones which each of us subscribes to as whats important to our lifestyles and way we want to cruise. I am not putting down or saying my way is right, except it is what is right for me. to each his own....whatever floats YOUR boat.

Getting back to theOP thread I cant say that I like or dislike CC boats. Some I like...some I dont. Same with aft cockpit ones. If they were unsafe or uncomfortable, they would build them I would think. I have sailed and looked at many boats. The majority I really like are aft cockpits, but there aresome nice CC I do like. Eds, yours yes, Daves yes....others no way...too many compromises.

BTW there is no perfect boat unless you build your own.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.