Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

"Law of two dudes"... lol.. never heard that one... this sounds more like two dudes picking a fight on a less defensive dude (reminds me of servicemen coming into port and picking fights)... either way the law has written statutes for such offenses.

I think trespassing onto others property (boat) to remove, destroy, sink, such items as noisy generators have its own consequences and I think if it were my generator I'd be pretty upset. Etiquette aside we can't be breaking laws because we don't like the noise or fumes... either contact the appropriate authorities, dockmaster, environmental officials, etc. but taking the law into your own hands is a bit much... law of dudes aside.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-14-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

looked like he was planning to go off the grid. from the other spec's. but agree won't work if your swinging on the hook waiting out days of no wind with torrents of rain you can get down south. Then the smell and noise of a genset won't bother anyone. Oh well........
Old 03-14-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

it seems that here in pair a dice good folks appreciate a generator in use as most of us came in here with problems......so we hang about 100-150 ft from each opther and use what we need to keep our stuff running as best we can as we actively cruise this part of mexico on our way to elsewhere and other ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Grill man good to see you back Hows the hand?

Chessie has very little tide or current.

As my post indicated noise is not the issue, its the fumes. Noise wont make you sick or isnt bad for your health. Fumes are. In our society today people are very concerned as am I about breathing cigeratte smoke, gas fumes etc.

My post stated about the courtesy of not anchoring in front of someone and then running a genrator when you have the oppertunity not to. I hope that makes some sense. I try and practice responsibilty and courtesy to others when boating. In most instances it never has been a problem.

If someone for no reason ( I can think of only one occasion where this happened) happens to anchor windward of us when they had other options and then proceed to run a generator, I have polietly told them their fumes have bothered us. On all occasions they understood and either moved or turned their generator off as we were there first anchored. Only once in 25 years of boating has someone actually gotten belligerent and given us the finger and told them we didnt own the water.

I pulled anchor and reanchored windward to him. He was so argumentative he continued to yell from his hailer that I anchored to close. We just ignored him. Eventually after a couple of hours he he came along side in his dinghy and launched into a tirade and demanded i move. I laughed turned my engine on, and sat anchored for a few hours engine exhaust floating through his cabin air conditioning.

To me its about the fumes and breathing clean air. You have the right to do what you want as long as it doesnt infringe my right to breathe clean air.

Clean air laws are everywhere now,mostlky to protect the rights of others from second hand cigarette smoke. Most people are very respectful and aware. Some of my friends smoke and are very respectfull not to bother others with it. They are very aware. Thats what we need here also. Not the noise my friend....the fumes. They can sicken you or hurt you.
Life is good dave. Weather has been a bit bouncy lately, but making my way south. Be in fort myers beach tomorrow. Then keys next weekend... We hope.

Arm is good. Only complaint is i blew out my flip flop.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-15-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

...Only complaint is i blew out my flip flop.

Brian
Step on a pop top? Cut your heel had to cruise on back home?

Sorry, couldn't help myself
Old 03-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Little to add at this point, but that won't prevent me from trying... (grin)

The on-deck Hondas are definitely a "not minding the smell of your own farts" sort of deal, but anyone who insists they are "virtually silent" might want to get their hearing checked... However, I'm resigned to the fact that they're here to stay, and if they bother you that much, you just have to work harder to seek out secluded anchorages, I suppose... Still, they seem particularly out of place in Maine, especially since many cruisers have likely spent most of their day underway motoring/charging their batteries, anyway... They're all over the Bahamas now, more every year it seems, and it certainly does spoil the ambiance of a remote spot like Samana Cay, to have another boat arrive late in the day, and fire one of those things up...

Funny, however - one never seems to see them on European boats down there... I wonder why that is? (grin)

As for inconsiderate behavior, however, I rate those who allow one of those infernal early-model Air Marine Screaming Banshee wind generators to run while berthed in a marina to be right at the top... Spent a couple of windy nights in Port Annapolis a few weeks ago within earshot of one of those pieces of crap, and really wished I'd had a large ball of monofilament fishing line handy... Would have stopped short of the actual "willful destruction of another's property", but would have silenced the damn thing, at least...

Regarding powerboats and generators, one really has to spend some time aboard some modern powerboats to fully appreciate how dependent they have become on AC power, and climate control... Many of the motor yachts and sportfishermen I run, there is virtually no provision for natural ventilation whatsoever, the lack of opening windows/ports/hatches is astonishing... They are simply not set up to live away from the dock, or absent the use of a generator... A few years ago, I was running a 56' Neptunus Fornicatorium like this one south during the summer when the AC unit failed. I had to sleep in the cockpit each night, the interior of the boat was totally uninhabitable, no way to make it so without AC...

Sadly, many modern sailboats are following this same trend, natural means of ventilation such as dorade vents are becoming extinct... The Trintella 50 I ran for years, sailing that boat offshore in warm weather, running the AC was pretty much a necessity, the lack of natural ventilation was appalling... Fortunately, the exhaust discharge for the generator on that boat was below the waterline, and would have been exceedingly quiet had the boat ever been in the midst of a peaceful anchorage, MUCH less obtrusive than an on-deck generator, "virtually silent", in fact... (grin)

Go to a place like Newfoundland, and trust me, you won't have to deal with this sort of annoyance... And those with generators, will be free to run them to your heart's content...

Old 03-15-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road

There are generators, then there are generators. And they are not all the same. The worst case is a power boat with a portable generator. Never anchor or moor close by. Why? Because they must run the generator, which can be heard 100's of yards away, to make coffee in the morning and cook food at the dinner hour, having AC appliances only. Most below decks generators with wet exhausts can be heard maybe 100 ft away if one happens to be on the same side as the exhaust, and the sound is typically soft splashing of exhaust water and no diesel exhaust sounds at all. Actually less noise than a sailboat running their main engine to charge batts or heat water in the early morning or evening. I have also witnessed what seems to be "generator envy or resentment" where boat owners will be complaining about generator sounds which are barely audible or not at all. I have a generator aboard below decks which we typically run around 0800 for charge and hot water for showers, and around 1700 for same. The exhaust is midship on the starboard side and the exhaust is wet with a water lift type muffler. It is not audible in the quietest anchorages from anywhere on the port side, or forward and aft of the boat. Soft splashing can be heard from maybe 100 ft on the starboard side. Very much different from the portable gasoline generators which are audible for great distances in any direction. One of the posts above mentioned wind generators. To me these are more disturbing in a breeze than any but the loudest portable generators because most people run the damned things all night. "...whop whop whop....." at 0200. Arrgghhh.

Last edited by Rick486; 03-15-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
There are generators, then there are generators. And they are not all the same.

One of the posts above mentioned wind generators. To me these are more disturbing in a breeze than any but the loudest portable generators because most people run the damned things all night. "...whop whop whop....." at 0200. Arrgghhh.
And, there are wind generators, and then there are wind generators... And they are not all the same...

Some - most notably the D 400 - are so quiet, as to be almost spooky... If there is sufficient breeze to be spinning one, there is no way some brands will be heard from a neighboring boat, anchored at a reasonable distance...
Old 03-15-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
I have also witnessed what seems to be "generator envy or resentment" where boat owners will be complaining about generator sounds which are barely audible or not at all.
"Generator envy", that's a new one, Rick. It gives me the notion of a back packer reaching a summit, then envying a guy in a Hummer that drove up.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 03-15-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Hmmm: Evidence that wind generators are totally noiseless?

Wind turbine sickness 'all in the mind': study

zeehag likes this.