Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
"Generator envy", that's a new one, Rick. It gives me the notion of a back packer reaching a summit, then envying a guy in a Hummer that drove up.
Good analogy Tom. Of course, there's also "...ice cream..." envy I've also witnessed which sometimes accompanies "..generator resentment...".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have wind generator envy--but only because i want to be able to , in windy , wet times, be able to hold these incredible conversations with my imaginary (cyber) friends......

i only get ice cube envy on 110+ days with high humidity.....i have not owned nor used a cooling device for foods since 1990......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While I am sensitive to not wanting to bother neighbors, this is probably why I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. My son and I have camped at this fly in (OshKosh) for many many years. Its the largest general aviation fly-in in the world and all those planes near the runways are camping under their wings. Approx 10,000 planes all come together for one week. Generators run in about half the camp sites, and airplanes scream over head every few minutes.

Some people are just noise wussies........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While I am sensitive to not wanting to bother neighbors, this is probably why I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. My son and I have camped at this fly in (OshKosh) for many many years. Its the largest general aviation fly-in in the world and all those planes near the runways are camping under their wings. Approx 10,000 planes all come together for one week. Generators run in about half the camp sites, and airplanes scream over head every few minutes.

Some people are just noise wussies........

Pretty impressive!
Old 03-15-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. ]
I think they probably are quiet when first purchased. But they become louder with use. Like my new portable freezer. I could never hear it in a silent anchorage at night now when it's the other end of the boat it can wake me immediately.

Do engines get louder with use?
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
....Do engines get louder with use?
Mufflers certainly wear out.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

I guess my honda 2000 still new. I don't think its loud at all.

and the fly-in is kinda like the race track. noise is expected. nobody thinks twice about running a gen-set.

smell and fumes are one thing, but a constant drone of a genny doesn't bother me. loud music, and slapping halyards drive me nuts...

-and don't even think about doing real damage to a generator in Fla. you'll get shot...
Old 03-15-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I completely understand the use of generators to charge up. Not opposed or in favor of per se. I understand the fumes.
On the other hand; when those wind generators are going non stop it's a different story. Some models have a definite thump to them.

Then again; i'm an early riser and for some reason i always get comments when i'm cooking loads of bacon at 6 am. I think the older folks are envious!
Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftldiver View Post
......and the fly-in is kinda like the race track. noise is expected. nobody thinks twice about running a gen-set.

smell and fumes are one thing, but a constant drone of a genny doesn't bother me. loud music, and slapping halyards drive me nuts.....
You're right about the anticipated noise. I went and looked up the hours of operation during the show, which are 6am to 8pm. It is probably more to avoid night operations, with tens of thousands of people camped within a hundred yards of the runway, than for noise. Gensets keep running and it is easy to sleep through. Maybe its relative. I still think pilots are just a heartier and more adaptable bunch.

You are so right about slapping halyards and music. Add those to squeaky wind gens and you are really onto the most common annoyances.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-15-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

U can anchor up wind of me anytime. Bacon , coffee at the same time. I 'll be right over.