anchorage etiquette - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

Re: anchorage etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
"Generator envy", that's a new one, Rick. It gives me the notion of a back packer reaching a summit, then envying a guy in a Hummer that drove up.
Good analogy Tom. Of course, there's also "...ice cream..." envy I've also witnessed which sometimes accompanies "..generator resentment...".
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 130 Old 03-15-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

i have wind generator envy--but only because i want to be able to , in windy , wet times, be able to hold these incredible conversations with my imaginary (cyber) friends......

i only get ice cube envy on 110+ days with high humidity.....i have not owned nor used a cooling device for foods since 1990......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #103 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

While I am sensitive to not wanting to bother neighbors, this is probably why I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. My son and I have camped at this fly in (OshKosh) for many many years. Its the largest general aviation fly-in in the world and all those planes near the runways are camping under their wings. Approx 10,000 planes all come together for one week. Generators run in about half the camp sites, and airplanes scream over head every few minutes.

Some people are just noise wussies........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #104 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While I am sensitive to not wanting to bother neighbors, this is probably why I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. My son and I have camped at this fly in (OshKosh) for many many years. Its the largest general aviation fly-in in the world and all those planes near the runways are camping under their wings. Approx 10,000 planes all come together for one week. Generators run in about half the camp sites, and airplanes scream over head every few minutes.

Some people are just noise wussies........

Pretty impressive!

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #105 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't fully understand the venom over a quiet Honda gen. ]
I think they probably are quiet when first purchased. But they become louder with use. Like my new portable freezer. I could never hear it in a silent anchorage at night now when it's the other end of the boat it can wake me immediately.

Do engines get louder with use?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #106 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
....Do engines get louder with use?
Mufflers certainly wear out.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #107 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

I guess my honda 2000 still new. I don't think its loud at all.

and the fly-in is kinda like the race track. noise is expected. nobody thinks twice about running a gen-set.

smell and fumes are one thing, but a constant drone of a genny doesn't bother me. loud music, and slapping halyards drive me nuts...

-and don't even think about doing real damage to a generator in Fla. you'll get shot...
post #108 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

I completely understand the use of generators to charge up. Not opposed or in favor of per se. I understand the fumes.
On the other hand; when those wind generators are going non stop it's a different story. Some models have a definite thump to them.

Then again; i'm an early riser and for some reason i always get comments when i'm cooking loads of bacon at 6 am. I think the older folks are envious!
post #109 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftldiver View Post
......and the fly-in is kinda like the race track. noise is expected. nobody thinks twice about running a gen-set.

smell and fumes are one thing, but a constant drone of a genny doesn't bother me. loud music, and slapping halyards drive me nuts.....
You're right about the anticipated noise. I went and looked up the hours of operation during the show, which are 6am to 8pm. It is probably more to avoid night operations, with tens of thousands of people camped within a hundred yards of the runway, than for noise. Gensets keep running and it is easy to sleep through. Maybe its relative. I still think pilots are just a heartier and more adaptable bunch.

You are so right about slapping halyards and music. Add those to squeaky wind gens and you are really onto the most common annoyances.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #110 of 130 Old 03-15-2013

U can anchor up wind of me anytime. Bacon , coffee at the same time. I 'll be right over.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.