Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

I've never understood the need for an AC at anchor. In a windless Marina at a cement dock in the summer time, o.k. but why these tenderfooted, soft pawed, landlubber, suburbanites, need to anchor right up on me with the their gadget boat full of ammenities for the dandy cruiser, when there is a whole frik'n ocean out there baffles me to no end.........and sailing gloves, really?
Old 03-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Acceptable,...do you think we're there yet?

Personally, I hope not. It's bound to happen in some harbors. I spent an hour or so between a sailboat running their engine on my port side and a powerboat off my bow running a belowdecks gen set. There were both completely audible even though the owners probably didn't think so. You just have to endure it or go ashore. I wouldn't do it myself.

For the most part though, it's still rare in the places we anchor which is the majority of time for us.

Keep up the good work Mainesail promoting big battery banks.
Quite frankly any generator use in our idyllic anchorages I personally find rude, but people do it. Many seem to now "accept" sun up and before cocktail and after breakfast hours are ok. I don't personally but that's just me..

With the majority of boats on this coast sub 40' I find little justification for generators use. DC systems and battery management can easily be manged on boats of this size without a generator.

When our anchorages get to glass calm, as they do many an evening, even the "quiet" Honda's can be heard for a LOOOOOOOONG distance...

I actually just left a boat after installing a custom alternator, regulator, battery monitor and re-wiring the charging system. He is also getting solar.

I just took measurements and am now at a coffee shop ordering a custom battery box for some industrial L-16 Trojan batteries. The owner wants to be 100% self sufficient and is adamant that he will NEVER use a generator. He is paying me good money so he is NOT rude to others and this whole upgrade was caused and set into motion by a RUDE boater. Kudo's to him!

Maine is a little different than most places but I like the peace & quiet. Sadly more schmucks buy Honda's and gensets every year and they are slowly ruining how idyllic Maine once was to cruise. Honda generators are NOT quiet !!!!!

Hell we watched a 50'+ power boat come into an anchorage, the owner dropped anchor from his enclosed flybridge then went down into the cabin and fired up what had to be a 50" TV and proceeded to plop in front of it while his genset ran 24/7.. The guy never stepped out of the cabin in the 7 hours we endured his exhaust before upping anchor and moving. May his props find some good solid Maine granite...
Faster, jimrafford and Alex W like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

That's exactly how I feel. I'm glad that someone else chimed in on this thread who is anti-generator. So far with my limited cruising in the PNW most anchorages have been quiet. We did have to move once at Stuart Island when a large boat moved in next door to us and prompted turned on the gen-set. Such a nuisance when you've gone a long way to find quietness.

With modern LED lights and lower power consumption tablet computers I just don't see where all of the power is going, at least in places like the PNW where air conditioning isn't useful.
Old 03-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I have to say that we don't run into overly offensive generators very often, and it's most likely to happen in popular anchorages and marinas than your typical 'one or two boat' coves that we tend to favour. However it does happen, and there's no need for it with today's DC technology.

What boggles my mind is why would anyone design a galley on any boat that runs on AC and requires a generator running to even make a pot of coffee? And this is not just on the large yachts either..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Quite frankly any generator use in our idyllic anchorages I personally find rude, but people do it. Many seem to now "accept" sun up and before cocktail and after breakfast hours are ok. I don't personally but that's just me..

With the majority of boats on this coast sub 40' I find little justification for generators use. DC systems and battery management can easily be manged on boats of this size without a generator.

When our anchorages get to glass calm, as they do many an evening, even the "quiet" Honda's can be heard for a LOOOOOOOONG distance...

I actually just left a boat after installing a custom alternator, regulator, battery monitor and re-wiring the charging system. He is also getting solar.

I just took measurements and am now at a coffee shop ordering a custom battery box for some industrial L-16 Trojan batteries. The owner wants to be 100% self sufficient and is adamant that he will NEVER use a generator. He is paying me good money so he is NOT rude to others and this whole upgrade was caused and set into motion by a RUDE boater. Kudo's to him!

Maine is a little different than most places but I like the peace & quiet. Sadly more schmucks buy Honda's and gensets every year and they are slowly ruining how idyllic Maine once was to cruise. Honda generators are NOT quiet !!!!!

@#!*% we watched a 50'+ power boat come into an anchorage, the owner dropped anchor from his enclosed flybridge then went down into the cabin and fired up what had to be a 50" TV and proceeded to plop in front of it while his genset ran 24/7.. The guy never stepped out of the cabin in the 7 hours we endured his exhaust before upping anchor and moving. May his props find some good solid Maine granite...
I'm bett'n his anchor and chain were too small as well. It's in moments like that, I call on the spirit of my fore mentioned Grandpa, and find a creative and slightly less harmfull, yet sporty way of dealing a card of justice. Sometimes we need to teach these dudes "what's what" out there. First a polite request, and then the good 'ol "I tried to tell ya!" I've lived on the hook since I was 8 years old. 33 years later, I've come to realize that there are those that are and those that are'nt. Sometimes a little push towards curtousy will make the world a better place for everyone these dip sh!ts encounter later on.
Old 03-11-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We did a "visit to the dark side" last month at the Atlantic City Boat show and checked out some power boats. What shocked me was so many of them had electric ranges

That means firing up a generator just to cook dinner.

I just can't understand why anyone would design a boat that way?????
CatMan22 likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Funny, I have never used my HOnda 2000 on the boat yet and dont carry it. It sits at home for the many outages us in MD have I have used it twice in 4 years. Once we were without power for 4 days ( Irene) and last year for 6 days after the Deracho. The first time it power my refrigerator and the fan on our pellet stove so we had heat. The second time the refrigerator. It paid for itself in food not lost already.

I primarily bought it for that thinking I might also take it on our next cruising boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-11-2013

three-quartertime is on a distinguished road

This is a timely topic for me. For the past week, the Admiral and I have discussed whether or not to install a diesel generator. Yesterday we decided against it. Besides the noise factor, it just adds complexity to the boat. We like to keep things simple.

By the way, I think the anti-generator sailors are a very large majority. A few years ago on a beautiful summer eveing we were anchored in a crowded anchorage. Shortly after dusk one boat fired up a loud generator. After a while, someone yelled repeatedly "Turn the generator off." Several of the rest of us quickly chimed in. Eventually the guy got the message and turned the thing off.. . and everyone in the anchorage applauded. It was a beautiful moment.
Faster likes this.
Old 03-11-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I've never understood the need for an AC at anchor. In a windless Marina at a cement dock in the summer time, o.k. but why these tenderfooted, soft pawed, landlubber, suburbanites, need to anchor right up on me with the their gadget boat full of ammenities for the dandy cruiser, when there is a whole frik'n ocean out there baffles me to no end.........and sailing gloves, really?
These are probably the same people that always park next to my car... which I always park at the edges of a parking lot away from everyone else. Whenever I come out.. there is always one car parked right next to mine (if not two) while there are probably 50 more spaces all around sitting empty
Silvio and Capt.aaron like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 03-11-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

When it comes to generators, you guys are brutal.

Drop the hook, fire up the 10000 watt home depot generator, turn on the ac & go down below. The hell with everyone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.