Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

All I am saying is have pity on those who run the generators. Many abuse it. I get that. But many more are doing what they are doing because they have to and took the least expensive option they could. And if I could do it all over, that little red thing would look awfully tempting versus the rediculous money I have spent to do without it.

My opinions,

Brian

PS Ellen - Kick Bob for me, ok?
Don't be offended, some of us are sailing in areas where a liveaboard boat with a family onboard, is very, very rare. You can see the difference in boats in New England, they're more lightly equipped than liveaboard boats. I've sailed down south and recognize snowbirds or full time southern liveaboards, they're living off the grid so to speak.

To keep a family happily powered at anchor, my hat is off to you!

The little bit of generator/engine abuse that I find irritating in some of the more pristine anchorages, are 40 foot boats that are fossil fuel powered life support systems for a little refrigerated box below.

Most pace themselves knowing they'll run their engines the next day traveling, maybe buy a block of ice or two(they're only 2 bucks and plentiful on the Maine coast).

It's not a problem here, but I hear a few complaints, and understand them.

Very few visiting boats that come here would be happy if generators rang regularly through our anchorages.

We're a sailing destination for just the opposite sounds.
Tim R. and chef2sail like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I have not cruised the Chessy (yet!!), but am curious how this is done? Here, your boat will often turn against the wind depending on the current. So you might anchor downwind, but when the tide shifts, you are now upwind. Also, many of the anchorages here are tight to very tight. Your choice of spots is limited to say the least.

I think the key is just doing it after sunrise and before sunset. And I don't know if it is just me, but the Honda generators dont even come close to comparing to the noise of many wind generators! MMMmmmmmmZZZZZzzzzz!!!!! So, should we suggest that those with wind generators shut theirs down at the same hours as a gas generator? Hmmm....

Brian
Grill man good to see you back Hows the hand?

Chessie has very little tide or current.

As my post indicated noise is not the issue, its the fumes. Noise wont make you sick or isnt bad for your health. Fumes are. In our society today people are very concerned as am I about breathing cigeratte smoke, gas fumes etc.

My post stated about the courtesy of not anchoring in front of someone and then running a genrator when you have the oppertunity not to. I hope that makes some sense. I try and practice responsibilty and courtesy to others when boating. In most instances it never has been a problem.

If someone for no reason ( I can think of only one occasion where this happened) happens to anchor windward of us when they had other options and then proceed to run a generator, I have polietly told them their fumes have bothered us. On all occasions they understood and either moved or turned their generator off as we were there first anchored. Only once in 25 years of boating has someone actually gotten belligerent and given us the finger and told them we didnt own the water.

I pulled anchor and reanchored windward to him. He was so argumentative he continued to yell from his hailer that I anchored to close. We just ignored him. Eventually after a couple of hours he he came along side in his dinghy and launched into a tirade and demanded i move. I laughed turned my engine on, and sat anchored for a few hours engine exhaust floating through his cabin air conditioning.

To me its about the fumes and breathing clean air. You have the right to do what you want as long as it doesnt infringe my right to breathe clean air.

Clean air laws are everywhere now,mostlky to protect the rights of others from second hand cigarette smoke. Most people are very respectful and aware. Some of my friends smoke and are very respectfull not to bother others with it. They are very aware. Thats what we need here also. Not the noise my friend....the fumes. They can sicken you or hurt you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-12-2013

ellenwhite2 is on a distinguished road
anchorage etiquette

Guilty. We have a little red Honda AND a noisy wind generator! Brian, we're saving you a mooring ball downwind of us. Tho, in self defense, I will tell you we installed more solar while (permanently) moored here and are finally getting a handle on our power needs.
BTW, what's a microwave?
Old 03-12-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We try to conserve power and enjoy the anchorage. We can live without a microwave, AC and TV. We have amazing views and we read books when the views aren't there or just socialize. We have solar and a wind generator. I will not pull in close to anyone and use the wind gen but if I am the first one there, I will leave it running to ward off those who think anchoring as close as possible to another boat is socially acceptable. We welcome you to come visit in your dinghy(bearing gifts of course) but feel free to anchor on the other side of the cove if possible.

We love cruising Maine and the only sounds we want to hear are the waves, the wind and the laughter.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-12-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I think the answer is as everyone has stated: be kind and courteous to others around you. Just like you wouldn't blare your music late at night (ftldiver, you have my sympathy), neither should you be running generators or your main diesel. If you gotta charge, so be it. But do it during daytime hours. And if you've gotta run a generator through the night, anchor away from others.

BTW, same goes for windmills. You can turn them off at night if the wind is makin' them howl (as some of the older models do).
Old 03-12-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I'm not anti gen. I'm looking at one for my trip down south this spring. It's about the etiquette. And I move my boat if someone bothers me, ask if I can't move, and only at sunset. I don't even care if you start up after th sun set, just not during. I own a 40 foot dive boat with 450 hp turbo deisel and a 75 kw kubota - northern lights gen set. A big noisy stink box. I do over night dive trips that turn into back country boom box party's out in the middle of no where. I use etiquette when I'm running my sh!t. simple. I say please and thank you, and try not to bother my neighbors. As I prepare my little sloop for a sail to Guanaja, Honduras, in order to make life easier, my wife and I have rented a studio apt. 2 blocks off Duval st. in Key West. We are moving everything to our property in Guanaja to make a go of it down there mostly full time. I know it's noisy 2 blocks from Duval so I don't complain about the noise
( or the smell) I always tell people, if drunks, roosters and the din of club music bother you, why the @#!*% did you move 2 blocks from Duval! Now the dude who lets his gen drift off the back in a dinghy so he's not botherd and it's right up on me, he got what he deserved and the dude who pulled the plug ought to get a gold star!
Faster likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-12-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanporter View Post
My friend, without saying a word either to them or to me, quietly slipped overboard, swam underneath the dinghy and punched out the drain plug. We then sat back and watched the results. The folk on the other boat didn't appear to suspect what had actually happened.
That is just evil in it's purist form & makes me want to
Old 03-12-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
That is just evil in it's purist form & makes me want to
It's evil to hang a gen off the back of a boat so it's closer to your neighbor in order not to bother you. If some dude let's his dog sh!t in my lawn so it's not in his, I am apt to rub his nose in it to teach him where he should'nt let his dog take a sh!t. If more people would put up with less horse sh!t, than there would be less horse sh!t to deal with.
utchuckd and Bob142 like this.
Old 03-12-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
It's evil to hang a gen off the back of a boat so it's closer to your neighbor in order not to bother you. If some dude let's his dog sh!t in my lawn so it's not in his, I am apt to rub his nose in it to teach him where he should'nt let his dog take a sh!t. If more people would put up with less horse sh!t, than there would be less horse sh!t to deal with.

How you can advocate & more importantly justify doing the Devils work by destroying someones property is pretty sad.

It's very comforting to know that someone like you will be representing the American people when in Honduras
Old 03-12-2013
KNOT KNOWN

If I put my gen in your yard so I did'nt have to hear it and smell it, I would be destroying it myself. One could only assume the effected party would take some action towards the device. If I Plowed my drive way and piled it up at the end of yours, I would expect retaliation.
I personaly, as I stated earlier, alway's ask politely for the offending party to stop what they are doing first, but blatent disrespect is quite rightly often met with action, and yes I aplaud it.
As for Central America.
I spent 6 months, after surviving Huricane Mitch myself, carrying medicine and food on my back up over land slides to effected areas cut off from the world, high up in the Guatemalan highlands, and digging body's out of river banks with the Red Cross and C.A.R.E.
I spent 4 years studying the natural disaster of Huricane Gilbert on the reef off the Yucatan coast. I volunteerd for 3 months changing diapers in an orphanage. I sponsored a base ball team of under privilaged kids in Isla Mujeres when I owned a night club there. And I am currently raising funds for a clinic in Guanaja because we have nothing of the sort on the east end of the Island as well as promoting and Island clean up because the trash is out of control. I worked with the first lady of Guatemala and her girls scout troop puting together emergancy drop bags for family's cut off from supply's due to swolen rivers. I worked clearing mine fields in Columbia with the dep. director of the U.N. with a thing that looks like an over sized lawn mower. When you find one it detinates under a dome that you are holding with a 6 foot handle. My father in law and I set up a free veteranarian clinic to nueter animals in Honduras. And I sent two smart and under privilaged Venezualan Kids to college via a scholarship I connected them with so ya, you can rest assured I'll do you proud.