Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013

ellenwhite2 is on a distinguished road
anchorage etiquette

Being fairly new liveaboards (2yrs) and having hopped from secluded anchorages to marinas, we now find ourselves in a very crowded anchorage. I'm wondering what is proper generator running etiquette? Time guidelines? Perhaps this has been discussed in another thread, but my "search" isn't functioning correctly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: anchorage etiquette

Noise is noise Ellen. Don't run Genny's before 8am or after 10pm, live and let live.

Folks that complain if you run a genny's in that time frame should be invited to drop off charged batteries at your convenience, or exit the anchorage.
MarkofSeaLife and ODay e-pod like this.
Old 03-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

8am to 10 pm is pretty typical, most of our parks have similar noise restrictions.

However the issue is more than the noise.. There are few things worse than trying to enjoy a meal at the cockpit table engulfed in someone's diesel exhaust fumes. I always appreciate it if a nearby boater talks to us about it first ( "sorry, an hour or so should do it") and I really don't appreciate it when someone starts a genset ( esp a noisy on-deck set) and then goes ashore while it runs because its too noisy for them.

Power boats are most problematic because they often need to run AC appliances at mealtimes, not to mention the often-present animosity between camps.

It can be a difficult issue from both sides...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Don't run it while the sun is setiing either.
Old 03-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hard to say the precise hours that will not offend. Well after sunrise, I suppose. 10pm sounds late to me.

If I'm unsure if I will bother anyone, I usually look around to see if I'm the only one that will be running one. Herd mentality, I guess.

If the wind is howling and fetch is slapping, no one is going to hear it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-10-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

I am more forgiving of generators if they are downwind of me.
Old 03-11-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We try not to anchor in the middle of the anchorage, but down wind as much as practical. However, when we are there first and someone anchors astern of us (or any vessel with two exhausts), then they can expect some fumes and noise, though I doubt anyone more than 30' away can hear our Onan. On the other hand we really don't appreciate it when a boat squeezes in up wind of us, then runs their gene all night long, but hey what you gonna do? Also the little, noisy gas generators running on deck make an anchorage most unpleasant.
Old 03-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We try not to anchor in the middle of the anchorage, but down wind as much as practical. However, when we are there first and someone anchors astern of us (or any vessel with two exhausts), then they can expect some fumes and noise, though I doubt anyone more than 30' away can hear our Onan. On the other hand we really don't appreciate it when a boat squeezes in up wind of us, then runs their gene all night long, but hey what you gonna do? Also the little, noisy gas generators running on deck make an anchorage most unpleasant.
This is the proper phoilosphy.
In regards to " Hey what you gonna do". There have been times, and it's happened plenty, that some one would anchor 2 boat lengths in front of me and fill my cabin with their exhaust. Most times I move with a mean stare in thieir direction. As I have to sail off the hook and don't have a generator or engine my self I had could hardly return the gesture. There are however more creative way's of dealing with these people. I learned many techniques cruising with Grandad as a boy.
I remember several all night gen. runners waking to their halyards on deck. ( my grandpa was A D-day jump'n 82nd airborn Original Bad A$$ with a low Horse Sh!t tollerance)
My fav. was the power boater in Eluthra back in '83, who woke up to find his Colmen deck gen. ( after many other display's of rude) missing completely. They did however find it tied to their anchor when they raised it to leave.
chef2sail, TQA, utchuckd and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Up here in Maine 9 am - 4 pm are pretty much the acceptable hours of use....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-11-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
This is the proper phoilosphy.
In regards to " Hey what you gonna do". There have been times, and it's happened plenty, that some one would anchor 2 boat lengths in front of me and fill my cabin with their exhaust. Most times I move with a mean stare in thieir direction. As I have to sail off the hook and don't have a generator or engine my self I had could hardly return the gesture. There are however more creative way's of dealing with these people. I learned many techniques cruising with Grandad as a boy.
I remember several all night gen. runners waking to their halyards on deck. ( my grandpa was A D-day jump'n 82nd airborn Original Bad A$$ with a low Horse Sh!t tollerance)
My fav. was the power boater in Eluthra back in '83, who woke up to find his Colmen deck gen. ( after many other display's of rude) missing completely. They did however find it tied to their anchor when they raised it to leave.
Don't mess with the greatest generation...after what they went through little things like tossing equipment overboard won't even phase them.