SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boat Name Protocol ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97488-boat-name-protocol.html)

rlltrash 03-11-2013 11:08 AM

Boat Name Protocol ?

Is there any protocol for naming a boat? I just bought a "new" 20 ft sailboat and am thinking about giving it a name. I know of two different names it has had with previous owners. There were probably more.

The only reason I am aware of to name a boat is to facility radio communications - using the boat name as a call-sign. I see that boat names are also used in racing. In addition, it appears that the larger a boat is, the more likely it will have a name. (I guess there are USCG requirements at some point.)

So, should I give a name to my 1985 Holder 20?

Thanks, Richard

rhr1956 03-11-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Boat Name Protocol ?

Sure...go ahead. Lot's of people change the name. It's not bad luck or anything like that.

paul323 03-11-2013 12:20 PM

There are many rituals and superstitions around changing the boat name. You'll pick up a lot of info if you simply do a google search, or simply start at John Vigor's Blog: How to Rename Your Boat, the expert in this matter; but in summary:

- It is generally considered bad luck to choose a name which taunts fortune, such as "Storm King", "wind tamer".

- Remove everything from the boat with the old name on it

- Hold a denaming ceremony

- hold a naming ceremony

Most sailors will say it is bad luck to change the name of a boat; but most will also agree that it is sometimes necessary, and if the correct rituals are followed, you will be okay. (As long as you don't do cheap on the "offering"!)

MarkofSeaLife 03-11-2013 12:48 PM

The most important thing is to name your boat something stupid.

And unintelligible.

Unpronounceable

Un spell able

And that includes "sea" like the boat I saw today: "Pregnansea". What the hell were they thinking? On board sex that needs to be advertised?
Or Ocean in the name, or something about retirement, dreams, rum, Happy Hours, Happy Ours etc, Island Time....

Or a catamaran has to include double something like Too Smart, Double Trouble.

One of the great Australian naming traditions is to name it something Aboriginal. Those names have the most consonants together of any language apart from Swahilli.... Try pronouncing Nhnumanjarra, let alone on spelling it to a Spanish port authority on the VHF radio...

So calling my boat Sea Life was meant to be simple. Who to F that up? Well, lots of people! Spanish have no concept of SEA and Life is pronounced "Leef Eh". And people who do speach English think I have said Sea LICE. Like I am gunna call a boat sea LICE?????

Or you could try one of the dirty American boat names... I never know how they register some of them like "Head Job" etc.

rockDAWG 03-11-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul323 (Post 1001127)

Most sailors will say it is bad luck to change the name of a boat; but most will also agree that it is sometimes necessary, and if the correct rituals are followed, you will be okay. (As long as you don't do cheap on the "offering"!)

Well... My Company is specialized handling this renaming important rituals. Please leave this to the professionals. Send $499 for the basis and $899 for premium renaming. You may ask what the difference is. The basic package we use domestic beer for offering, the premium one, we use imported beer. Please note no check and no CC. Western Union money only.

No form to fill out, no signature required. Just hand print the new boat name and send to us. :)

sailortjk1 03-11-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Un spell able

And that includes "sea"
Quote:

So calling my boat Sea Life
I'm just saying... LOL.

jameswilson29 03-11-2013 05:25 PM

Yes, you should name your boats.

A boat is a female. Give the boat a proper female name.

For those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s, that means something natural, organic, or emotional. Mythical names are also acceptable.

My boat "Thoe" is named after one of the Nereids, the daughters of Poseidon. It is also very short for radio transmission purposes.

Just don't name your boat "Wet Dreams"...

mad_machine 03-11-2013 05:36 PM

you mention the Coast Guard.. I know they only name their cutters.. anything less than 65feet in length is just a boat and only gets a number

runswithsisors 03-11-2013 05:52 PM

if you google it, there is a protocal for renaming a boat, and appesing the gods

Siamese 03-11-2013 05:57 PM

Name it Mayday.